Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I obviously have a different opinion of Stef than you. From my perspective Stef is grossly over rated. I have been watching him very closely since I came out as a "not a fan of Stef" member and nothing has changed my mind as yet.
There's a middle ground between "stef is overrated" and "walker and eagles are better" (which is ridiculous) . I think stef struggles with dominant tap ruckmen and needs to know his limitation when it come to ball use, but there's no way any of the other ruckmen on our list (only one of whom has actually played an afl game) would come close to matching him at this stage.
Jason, some posters on BF do get offended when your opinion (& others) is not the same. That's what makes BF interesting. Don't let them get to you. It would be a boring place if everyone agreed to my views & opinions no mater how correct they are EVERY time. lmao.
From what I can see, the only one who's offended here is you.

Jason, some posters on BF do get offended when your opinion (& others) is not the same. That's what makes BF interesting. Don't let them get to you. It would be a boring place if everyone agreed to my views & opinions no mater how correct they are EVERY time. lmao.
It's fine to disagree wiith an opinion but there are plenty of pot shots at posters in there due to not agreeing with them. All people need to do is disagree, explain why and rebut basically, thats all.

There's a middle ground between "stef is overrated" and "walker and eagles are better" (which is ridiculous) . I think stef struggles with dominant tap ruckmen and needs to know his limitation when it come to ball use, but there's no way any of the other ruckmen on our list (only one of whom has actually played an afl game) would come close to matching him at this stage.

From what I can see, the only one who's offended here is you.
My comments were said as tongue in cheek. No offence taken by me carnthelions however if you feel good thinking that.....go ahead.

My comments were said as tongue in cheek. No offence taken by me carnthelions however if you feel good thinking that.....go ahead.

This is not directed specifically at yourself but your post was a timely example of a trend that has been noticed of late. It is these sort of little back handed snide comments that have been creeping in from numerous members lately which are not really required and are lowering the experience of the board and discussion for everyone. This sort of condescending passive aggressive style of posting is really beginning to grate, and isn't conducive to a positive atmosphere. If it continues in the same vane then action will be taken. There is little difference between these sort of snipes and openly abusing another poster and should the continue, they will be treated as such.

This is not directed specifically at yourself but your post was a timely example of a trend that has been noticed of late. It is these sort of little back handed snide comments that have been creeping in from numerous members lately which are not really required and are lowering the experience of the board and discussion for everyone. This sort of condescending passive aggressive style of posting is really beginning to grate, and isn't conducive to a positive atmosphere. If it continues in the same vane then action will be taken. There is little difference between these sort of snipes and openly abusing another poster and should the continue, they will be treated as such.
Hard to stop as it comes in almost every time someone disagrees. In the above case, carnthelions made comment that " from what he can see, I was the only one offended" which kind of surprised me but also made me aware that my post was taken totally wrong. Point taken but I don't know how you dictate what it said unless its really offensive. Then its in need of action.

Looking back I did say Eagles "could offer just as much" not better although in hindsight that was still ridiculous on my part without even seeing him in the firsts. I like the little bits that I have seen of Walker in the ruck and he would certainly offer more resting forward than Martin IMO.

Looking back I did say Eagles "could offer just as much" not better although in hindsight that was still ridiculous on my part without even seeing him in the firsts. I like the little bits that I have seen of Walker in the ruck and he would certainly offer more resting forward than Martin IMO.
Cant wait to see Archie Smith taking on the role as our #1 ruckman with "The Big O" his relief ruckman but think its a little way off just yet. In the meantime I agree that Walker holds his own when giving Steff a rest. Close does Ok as well imo.

Hard to stop as it comes in almost every time someone disagrees. In the above case, carnthelions made comment that " from what he can see, I was the only one offended" which kind of surprised me but also made me aware that my post was taken totally wrong. Point taken but I don't know how you dictate what it said unless its really offensive. Then its in need of action.
Also makes it hard to judge when mods are participating in such passive aggressive behavior. Rules are for all not the few

Also makes it hard to judge when mods are participating in such passive aggressive behavior. Rules are for all not the few

It would be nice if people assisted the mods in actually policing things like this through the use of the report button rather than just taking pot shots at them (which is actually against site rules) instead. For instance in the last 2 weeks there has been 1 report of post on this board. That would lead me to believe that there have been no other issues that you or any other poster have had with any posts? The mods are here to assist in the smooth running of the board, but we can't be expected to read every single post in detail. If you've got an issue with something or someone (a specific example, not general complaints) and reasoning behind it then raise it, don't just sit there and make generalisations. Everyone has a responsibility to contribute to the atmosphere and running of this board, not just the mods. If you don't like whats happening, raise it, otherwise keep this sort of pot shots to yourself.

And to those that liked this post, its nice to see that only one of you has bothered to raise something in recent memory.

Last edited:
It would be nice if people assisted the mods in actually policing things like this through the use of the report button rather than just taking pot shots at them (which is actually against site rules) instead. For instance in the last 2 weeks there has been 1 report of post on this board. That would lead me to believe that there have been no other issues that you or any other poster have had with any posts? The mods are here to assist in the smooth running of the board, but we can't be expected to read every single post in detail. If you've got an issue with something or someone (a specific example, not general complaints) and reasoning behind it then raise it, don't just sit there and make generalisations. Everyone has a responsibility to contribute to the atmosphere and running of this board, not just the mods. If you don't like whats happening, raise it, otherwise keep this sort of pot shots to yourself.

And to those that liked this post, its nice to see that only one of you has bothered to raise something in recent memory.
I liked the post in question F08 although I have yet to read a post on BF that I have been that offended by that I would report it, I have been reported myself a couple of times though.

99.99% of posts on the Lions board are fine IMO and most of the stuff people get upset about is just banter, playful sledging or sarcastic humor misinterpreted.

I liked the post in question F08 although I have yet to read a post on BF that I have been that offended by that I would report it, I have been reported myself a couple of times though.

99.99% of posts on the Lions board are fine IMO and most of the stuff people get upset about is just banter, playful sledging or sarcastic humor misinterpreted.
I couldn't imagine anyone reporting you
jason pm
I wonder how Leemas is going in the mines I think he/she reported me once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's simple Fatcat, they're all campaigners.

All of 'em.

All of you.

Sorry, just channelling Bomber Thompson there for a moment. Coincidentally totally off my ****.

Coincidentally

You make a fair point Fatcat08 and I accept responsibility for my post. It wasn't my intention for my comment to be veiwed as a "pot shot", as I stand by my veiws, however I can see how they could be perceived that way. I should have addressed the post directly and maybe with a little more consideration or as you said reported the behavior when it happened, However I don't think the people who" liked" my post should be scolded because of the irritation my post has obviously caused as we all have a right to feel the way we feel. My reply was based on my experiences, not a "generalisation", however I don't regard them as important or offensive to report, but significant enough to draw awareness that "passive aggressive " behavior does occur and is instigated by others not just regular posters and "liked" as well and I took the misguided opportunity to express that veiw.
I don't report sarcastic or snide remarks cause I am both perpetrator and victim of this behavior and it would be hugely hypocritical of me to do so, I also rather enjoy the banter as long as it is within boundaries. I would also hate to see someone as passionate as me band because of a little banter, I consider most on this board to be mature enough to take criticism and little sarcasm so the thought to report someone for that never crossed my mind. I have had many discussions with most if not all mods and consider them to be quite reasonable, we may not agree but I never take it personally and I hope you guys/ girls don't either. I am stubborn as dlanod knows first hand but I do respect what each and every poster has to say to me, except those cheeky backhanders;) and I am wrong on more occasions then I willing to admit, but I am passionate about the lions as is everyone on here which is why there will be at times some debate. I don't believe that this issue is as big as it has been made out to be and think as long as it is constructive and civil we should be able to comment on anyones behavior, if certain behaviors are to be eradicated. I know the mods have tough job and thankless one at that and they do a very good job, with that in mind i hope there is no hard feelings. Take from my post what you will

IMG_8287.JPG
Good thread, kids. Now it's time for the easiest part of any Mod's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Fitzroybears is cut. Jasonpm is cut. Dlions you're gone. Sizematters, I like your hustle...

[Sizematters smiles]

That's why it was so hard to cut you.

[Sizematters' smile drops]

Congratulations, the rest of you made the team!

[random sighs of relief]

Except you, you and you.

View attachment 399256
Good thread, kids. Now it's time for the easiest part of any Mod's job. The cuts. Although I wasn't able to cut everyone I wanted to, I have cut a lot of you. Fitzroybears is cut. Jasonpm is cut. Dlions you're gone. Sizematters, I like your hustle...

[Sizematters smiles]

That's why it was so hard to cut you.

[Sizematters' smile drops]

Congratulations, the rest of you made the team!

[random sighs of relief]

Except you, you and you.
I had to give you a like cause it was good, but cutting me first.... your on notice AFLQLD

To all the Martin haters out there:

We win when we have the advantage in centre clearances and contested ball. When Martin is in the middle we are a much better clearance side than when Smith/Close/Walker/all other comers are rucking. Martin's disposal isnt the best but I dont mind when he takes his time. He actually assesses the situation and looks for a short/medium range open target rather than bomb to Hipwood 2on1. He's got longevity. He's still up and about getting to games compared to the likes of Leuey. I reckon he's got at least another 2 good years. He's more of an aerobic around the ground type so his skillset wont fade as quickly as others. Martin will definitely be B22 next year until Archie and OMac get some more miles under their legs.

I think that our improvement next year really needs to be driven by our forwards, but not sure who is going to be able to step up.

Walker has had some really promising signs, but I don't know how much more improvement we can expect from Hipwood next year. Realistically he probably needs another 2 or 3 preseasons to really hit his stride.

I think that our improvement next year really needs to be driven by our forwards, but not sure who is going to be able to step up.

Walker has had some really promising signs, but I don't know how much more improvement we can expect from Hipwood next year. Realistically he probably needs another 2 or 3 preseasons to really hit his stride.

I actually think the bigger issue is the rest of the side.

As it stands, we're a pretty efficient side for scoring once the ball goes inside 50. We also leak a lot of goals despite some fairly capable (if young) one on one defenders. The likely culprit is our inside 50 differential. We have by miles the worst average I50 differential in the comp. We average -15.3 per game and the next worst (ie 17th in the league) is -5.6.

• For clearance differentials we rank 14th, which is surprisingly poor given our excellent top-line midfielders. My suspicion is that our lack of mature midfield depth is hurting us because Stef, Beams, Zorko and Rocky are forced to go in there for too long each game and ultimately run out of puff. Hopefully another pre-season into Mathieson, Keays, Berry etc will help with that.

• Probably as a function of our youth, we're still the worst contested possession side in the comp (-10.6 per game)

• We're also the third worst side in the comp for average turnover differential (+4.8), and because of our hard offensive running I think it's fair to speculate that most of those turnovers go directly inside 50 against us.
All of that said, I think our ball movement is improving markedly in effectiveness if not consistency and I think we should make natural gains in the maturity related measures next year.

Last edited:
I actually think the bigger issue is the rest of the side.

As it stands, we're a pretty efficient side for scoring once the ball goes inside 50. We also leak a lot of goals despite some fairly capable (if young) one on one defenders. The likely culprit is our inside 50 differential. We have by miles the worst average I50 differential in the comp. We average -15.3 per game and the next worst (ie 17th in the league) is -5.6.

• For clearance differentials we rank 14th, which is surprisingly poor given our excellent top-line midfielders. My suspicion is that our lack of mature midfield depth is hurting us because Stef, Beams, Zorko and Rocky are forced to go in there for too long each game and ultimately run out of puff. Hopefully another pre-season into Mathieson, Keays, Berry etc will help with that.

• Probably as a function of our youth, we're still the worst contested possession side in the comp (-10.6 per game)

• We're also the third worst side in the comp for average turnover differential (+4.8), and because of our hard offensive running I think it's fair to speculate that most of those turnovers go directly inside 50 against us.
All of that said, I think our ball movement is improving markedly in effectiveness if not consistency and I think we should make natural gains in the maturity related measures next year.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, just take a different conclusion away from it all.

I just think that improvement in our forwards would help for Point 2, which then helps turn around the I50 differential. I see us losing a lot of momentum at the moment when one of our younger forwards gets out marked on the wing. Ball then comes straight back in fast and we give up another I50 and a goal. Walker clunking those marks in the last few weeks has been really positive.

Improved clearance differentials may not help as much because if we end up bombing it long into the forward line a lack of contested marking makes it that much easier for the opposition's offence to rebound. It definitely would still help though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back