Opinion Changes vs Suns OUT Blakely (inj) Darcy IN D. Pearce Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taberner can't ruck, it would be madness to play him as our #1 ruck. That said there is definitely something going on with his non-selection that isn't related to on-field performance. That much was obvious when we still refused to select him when He'd kicked 11 goals in 2 weeks and Cox was dropped for disciplinary reasons. We chose to go into that game short a key forward and with no relief ruck option rather than pick the best performing player in the seconds.

I've been working on the assumption for the last month that he's leaving at the end of the year, he already has an offer on the table from another club, the club knows about it, and as a result they don't see the point of giving him games in what is essentially a development year.

Either that or he's done something really bad that the club doesn't want to make public.
That's the only reasoning behind it that can be thought of..
He did say he loves the footy club and wants to stay with the young group. Then maybe a Victorian club offered him a lifeline? Even this week is a good opportunity to perhaps play Griffin as well as Tabs as back up. Griffin by himself isn't a good look.

Feel like Tabs is going to go elsewhere and really hit his peak. We don't have much in terms of KPF so better hope Cox is the answer and Apeness can somehow stay fit.

Seems to be the same scenario as De Boer and Mzungu, play them for Peel and get them playing finals. Remember seeing De boer and knew he was leaving/delisted.

Taberner can't ruck, it would be madness to play him as our #1 ruck. That said there is definitely something going on with his non-selection that isn't related to on-field performance. That much was obvious when we still refused to select him when He'd kicked 11 goals in 2 weeks and Cox was dropped for disciplinary reasons. We chose to go into that game short a key forward and with no relief ruck option rather than pick the best performing player in the seconds.

I've been working on the assumption for the last month that he's leaving at the end of the year, he already has an offer on the table from another club, the club knows about it, and as a result they don't see the point of giving him games in what is essentially a development year.

Either that or he's done something really bad that the club doesn't want to make public.
I think this is entirely possible. Wouldn't have thought he was the type to cause trouble so you'd think maybe he has another offer.

Fair play to him if he does. Has to look after himself. I just hope he doesn't turn into Carey if he leaves.

It's definitely looking more likely that he will not be there next year. Surely he would be playing if they had plans for him to be around in 2018? Guess we will find out anyway. Ross' press conferences about him make me lean towards delisting as well.

It's definitely looking more likely that he will not be there next year. Surely he would be playing if they had plans for him to be around in 2018? Guess we will find out anyway. Ross' press conferences about him make me lean towards delisting as well.

It would be madness to delist him with our current forward stocks which is why I think he's leaving of his own accord.

That's the only reasoning behind it that can be thought of..
He did say he loves the footy club and wants to stay with the young group. Then maybe a Victorian club offered him a lifeline? Even this week is a good opportunity to perhaps play Griffin as well as Tabs as back up. Griffin by himself isn't a good look.

Feel like Tabs is going to go elsewhere and really hit his peak. We don't have much in terms of KPF so better hope Cox is the answer and Apeness can somehow stay fit.

Seems to be the same scenario as De Boer and Mzungu, play them for Peel and get them playing finals. Remember seeing De boer and knew he was leaving/delisted.
I do not share your confidence that he will go elsewhere and tear it apart. It's not like he is a young player, he has been on the list for 5 years and still can't cement a spot because of inconsistency. He has probably played 5 really good games out of the 50 or so he has played.

It would be madness to delist him with our current forward stocks which is why I think he's leaving of his own accord.
I reckon should we get McGovern, his fate is sealed. Remember that Apeness is still on the list as well. They might put their eggs in his basket, hoping they can finally get him to stay injury free for more than a fortnight.

I reckon should we get McGovern, his fate is sealed. Remember that Apeness is still on the list as well. They might put their eggs in his basket, hoping they can finally get him to stay injury free for more than a fortnight.

That would be a silly and needlessly risky thing to do. There's plenty of players we could delist to free up space without getting rid of our only fit key forward.

I actually think he hasn't got an offer but can't get past Lyon. There is a bit of history there.

Once he's delisted, he'll get offers and I'm expecting him to play in Victoria next year. I said the same thing a month or two back....and I expect the supporters will regret it...not so much the coach

I actually think he hasn't got an offer but can't get past Lyon. There is a bit of history there.

Once he's delisted, he'll get offers and I'm expecting him to play in Victoria next year. I said the same thing a month or two back....and I expect the supporters will regret it...not so much the coach

Yeah there is a fair chance that's true also. He wouldn't be the first player who couldn't get a game under Lyon but did well elsewhere.

It's pretty obvious Lyon doesn't see Key Forwards as all that important, we've refused to play one for most of the year. Even Cox isn't playing inside the forward 50 most of the time.

Yeah there is a fair chance that's true also. He wouldn't be the first player who couldn't get a game under Lyon but did well elsewhere.

It's pretty obvious Lyon doesn't see Key Forwards as all that important, we've refused to play one for most of the year. Even Cox isn't playing inside the forward 50 most of the time.
Mate, that's rubbish. This is Matthew Taberner you're talking about, not Matthew Pavlich. Taberner played one single decent game out of his opportunities this season. If he gets delisted that only person he can blame is himself. Lyon has showed him faith how many times now? He has repaid nothing. If you can't cement a spot after 5 years then sorry you've had your chance.

This guy will absolutely not go elsewhere and tear it up. It just will not happen. Freo is not his problem, his game sense is his problem. Amazing athlete, poor footballer.

If he gets delisted that only person he can blame is himself. Lyon has showed him faith how many times now?

Disagree Lyons shown any faith in him. As long as he's been here he's been the scapegoat for our poor performances in wet games and whenever our midfield has been beaten. He's been dropped more times than anyone on our list. No player bar Alex Silvagni has had less "faith" shown in him.

He lost his spot in the team on the back of a single pre-season match played in 45 degree heat that we lost by 15 goals. He was very good when he came into the side this year and then was again the scapegoat when we played in torrential rain 3 weeks in a row. Our other forwards were just as bad but didn't get dropped, only Taberner. He hasn't gotten a game since despite dominating the WAFL.

If he gets delisted you can absolutely blame our match committee for refusing to give him an extended run in the team, and you can also doubt their competency because we are not really in a position to be delisting any key forwards.

It's pretty much guaranteed that he'll go to a new club if he gets delisted anyway. 200cm key forwards wiith 50 games AFL experience don't grow on trees and there are a dozen clubs who'd take a punt. It we let him go for nothing it's a massive failure on our part but Lyon has form for letting players go when he's taken a dislike to them for whatever reason, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if that actually happens.

If I was Taberner I'd probably rather play for any other team in the AFL at this point, so I think one way or the other he won't be here next year.

Last edited:
Disagree Lyons shown any faith in him. As long as he's been here he's been the scapegoat for our poor performances in wet games and whenever our midfield has been beaten. He's been dropped more times than anyone on our list. No player bar Alex Silvagni has had less "faith" shown in him.

He lost his spot in the team on the back of a single pre-season match played in 45 degree heat that we lost by 15 goals. He was very good when he came into the side this year and then was again the scapegoat when we played in torrential rain 3 weeks in a row. Our other forwards were just as bad but didn't get dropped, only Taberner. He hasn't gotten a game since despite dominating the WAFL.

If he gets delisted you can absolutely blame our match committee for refusing to give him an extended run in the team, and you can also doubt their competency because we are not really in a position to be delisting any key forwards.

It's pretty much guaranteed that he'll go to a new club if he gets delisted anyway. 200cm key forwards wiith 50 games AFL experience don't grow on trees and there are a dozen clubs who'd take a punt. It we let him go for nothing it's a massive failure on our part but Lyon has form for letting players go when he's taken a dislike to them for whatever reason, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if that actually happens.

If I was Taberner I'd probably rather play for any other team in the AFL at this point, so I think one way or the other he won't be here next year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Taberner

You're just making s**t up now. You should run for president.

32 games over the last two years. 32!!!!!!!! AND YOU THINK HE DIDN'T GET HIS SHOT!

You know how many goals he got in those 32 games? 32!!!

He has gone backwards. That is why he is on the chopping block. He has gone backwards from already being s**t.

Give it up mate. He is a crab.

32 games over the last two years. 32!!!!!!!! AND YOU THINK HE DIDN'T GET HIS SHOT!.

So you're saying that playing less than 50% of the time constitutes getting a shot? I don't get it.

His output has improved every year he's been on the list, but this year we've only given him 5 games despite having no other key forwards and seeing him take games apart regularly in the WAFL - which he never really did before this year. Completely mystifying really.

Taberner's output last season - when we won 4 games - is superior to Kersten and McCarthy's this year where we've already won 7. But Taberner lost his spot to those 2 before the season even started.

When brought back this year he dominated 2 games and then got to play 3 games in torrential rain after which he was dropped (despite not being the worst of our forwards in those 3 games). He has dominated the WAFL since but Lyon has evidently decided he'd literally rather play nobody than Taberner. Only Ross Lyon really knows why.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Farewell game for Griff and Pearce?

I'm starting to ponder Tabs future at the club. I almost get the feeling that the club has already decided they are going to cut him at the end of the year. There is no other reason that I can think of to explain why he isn't in this week, because if Darcy isn't playing, then surely you play Taberner over Griffin, who was clearly no longer AFL standard the last time he played.

It's not that I want him to be in the squad, just starting to feel like he isn't going to get back in.

It's quite simple. Darcy plays ruck. We're going with only 1 ruckman these days. Have to replace the ruckman with a ruckman. Griff is a ruckman. Tabs isn't.

Mate, that's rubbish. This is Matthew Taberner you're talking about, not Matthew Pavlich. Taberner played one single decent game out of his opportunities this season. If he gets delisted that only person he can blame is himself. Lyon has showed him faith how many times now? He has repaid nothing. If you can't cement a spot after 5 years then sorry you've had your chance.

This guy will absolutely not go elsewhere and tear it up. It just will not happen. Freo is not his problem, his game sense is his problem. Amazing athlete, poor footballer.

Agree. Ross has given him every possible chance and I suspect you only get so many from Ross and then you're done. Which is fair enough. His patience would had to have worn paper thin over the last couple of years and no doubt tore with his putrid performances this year.

32 games over the last two years. 32!!!!!!!! AND YOU THINK HE DIDN'T GET HIS SHOT!

You know how many goals he got in those 32 games? 32!!!

He has gone backwards. That is why he is on the chopping block. He has gone backwards from already being s**t.

Give it up mate. He is a crab.
2016 season, 4th highest goals total.
And lead the side for total contested marks....

The thing is McGovern isn't a leading forward, and just like McCarthy, is benefiting on being the 3rd forward at Adelaide his season
He ll come in the side and offer similar output as McCarthy and Kersten, not leading forwards- which is what we're missing. And have all the pressure on him.

Apeness is not a player we should put our eggs in. A lot of hype for a player who haven't really got his fitness and form right. It's all potential and promise right now. Whereas Tabs is a 200cm forward that has been steadily improving and fitter each season, and wants to play for Freo. He knows his limitations and potential. It's a folly to delist him, and say 'hey Apeness, you better get right, we're counting on you immensely. Don't get injured'.

The thing is McGovern isn't a leading forward, and just like McCarthy, is benefiting on being the 3rd forward at Adelaide his season
He ll come in the side and offer similar output as McCarthy and Kersten, not leading forwards- which is what we're missing. And have all the pressure on him.

Apeness is not a player we should put our eggs in. A lot of hype for a player who haven't really got his fitness and form right. It's all potential and promise right now. Whereas Tabs is a 200cm forward that has been steadily improving and fitter each season, and wants to play for Freo. He knows his limitations and potential. It's a folly to delist him, and say 'hey Apeness, you better get right, we're counting on you immensely. Don't get injured'.

I'm not sure any of our players want us to put our in eggs in them;);)

Next year with Sandi rucking, you could plonk any of Darcy, A.Pearce or Apeness as the lynch pin, or continue to use Mundy / Fyfe combo. Our options are not limited to Taberner.

I don't think the club itselfs analyses Tabs and Ape like that. What you are alluding to is just BF fan opinions.

I am sure the reasons for Tabs continued omission are significant in their eyes (whether we agree on here or not) and I am also sure they are very aware that Apes chances of making the grade are slim. Especially having just parted ways with Mora.

I think we will learn plenty over the off-season about how they see each of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back