JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Can't they just move the scoreboard to Glenelg Oval or whatever ground they play shield matches at? It's not like an old stand where you pretty much have to demolish it, it wouldn't take too much effort to simply move the scoreboard to another location.
Im sure they could somehow put the old scoreboard in the new stand.. its 2017.. they can do anything these days. pit the scoreboard in the new design

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Im sure they could somehow put the old scoreboard in the new stand.. its 2017.. they can do anything these days. pit the scoreboard in the new design
Better idea is just to rebuild the western stand and replicate it to the eastern stand which holds 19,000, highest capacity stand at the ground. Could extended slightly to increase to 21,000, replicating that on the western side would enable a capacity of around 63,000 which i think is perfect. would save so much time considering if we were to build on the north end the tree huggers would come out and chain themselves to those trees. Remember this is Adelaide.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Interesting Adelaide's revenue in membership has increased enormously since 2014.
2014: $15,058,760
2015: $17,328,437
2016: $20,354,578
2017: Forecast to be over $22,000,000 (Membership 72,930)

Average attendances for the 38 home games at Adelaide Oval 47,103 (88% stadium fill), 11 games over 50k with a few more to come this season. Have the highest 11 games members out of any club in the league and only Collingwood have a higher revenue stream from membership sales than us. For us to continue to grow our membership revenue we have to increase the stadiums capacity, the club are highly reliant on membership revenue, only way our club makes profits is through this being strong, that's why the club is intent on getting stronger sponsorship deals and working strongly on E sports alliance.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Better idea is just to rebuild the western stand and replicate it to the eastern stand which holds 19,000, highest capacity stand at the ground. Could extended slightly to increase to 21,000, replicating that on the western side would enable a capacity of around 63,000 which i think is perfect. would save so much time considering if we were to build on the north end the tree huggers would come out and chain themselves to those trees. Remember this is Adelaide.
The Western Stand feels old now. I am an Essential member and apart from the Ridings bar overlooking the ground with a perfect view I see no reason to be in that side. My group stands there or on the terrace behind the ground level seats. For standing these two areas are the best at AO.

If you are sitting, the Eastern and Southern stands are far better in terms of catering and toilet access. View of the game is about par, if not better with the elevated seats being closer to the ground, yes there is sun but irrelevant for most Footy games.

Not to mention having to get to the game half a day before the first bounce to get a seat if you don't have one reserved. Given how great the Southern and Eastern stands are and reserved seating there being cheaper I don't understand people who do this every week.

This stand is overdue for a complete overhaul.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Western Stand feels old now. I am an Essential member and apart from the Ridings bar overlooking the ground with a perfect view I see no reason to be in that side. My group stands there or on the terrace behind the ground level seats. For standing these two areas are the best at AO.

If you are sitting, the Eastern and Southern stands are far better in terms of catering and toilet access. View of the game is about par, if not better with the elevated seats being closer to the ground, yes there is sun but irrelevant for most Footy games.

Not to mention having to get to the game half a day before the first bounce to get a seat if you don't have one reserved. Given how great the Southern and Eastern stands are and reserved seating there being cheaper I don't understand people who do this every week.

this...it's ridiculous.

that stand needed to go around further.
then people could get a seat, there wouldn't have to be waiting lists for AO/AFL memberships, they could sell more etc.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

Essential Crows membership is cheaper than most of the reserved seats in the eastern stands.

Personally, I love not having a reserved seat (because you don't have to sit around the same people each week), but each to their own.

The toilet facilities in the Western Stand are on par with the East/Southern Stands, the food/bev outlets are definitely poorer in the Western Stands (only having a couple of retrofitted bars on level 3 was a massive oversight in the original design of that stand), but the Western Stand gets some pretty decent food trucks to compensate for that.

At the end of the day though, the Western Stand craps all over the old Football Park members stand (and will probably do so until the time comes to upgrade the stand).

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
this...it's ridiculous.

that stand needed to go around further.
then people could get a seat, there wouldn't have to be waiting lists for AO/AFL memberships, they could sell more etc.
Nobody gave SACA the crystal ball to say that only a few years after they built it the rest of the place was going to be bulldozed to make it the smallest stand in a 50K multipurpose stadium. It was fine for what it was built for - cricket with the odd game of SANFL etc.

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Nobody gave SACA the crystal ball to say that only a few years after they built it the rest of the place was going to be bulldozed to make it the smallest stand in a 50K multipurpose stadium. It was fine for what it was built for - cricket with the odd game of SANFL etc.
They actually knew that Port were wanting to move to Adelaide oval well in advanced, they stuffed up the western stand.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
They actually knew that Port were wanting to move to Adelaide oval well in advanced, they stuffed up the western stand.
Was Port or the AFL moving a certainty when the stand was built? No. Was it built to be part of the AFL move? No. It was built by, and for, cricket. What kind of financial and historical risks would they have been taking to make the stand bigger, or build a square-to-the-wicket media centre, or AFL-standard changerooms, etc etc for the *possibility* that Port *might* move one day, and before Rann and Foley and co decided to move the AFL from AAMI? They built a perfectly good stand for cricket - light, ventilated, and with room for people to wander and watch from the a terrace at the front, in keeping with what had always been.
If they stuffed anything up it's the layout of the men's loos, where there's no flow-through. Oh yeah, and not knowing that the AFL would be coming in the future.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Essential Crows membership is cheaper than most of the reserved seats in the eastern stands.

Personally, I love not having a reserved seat (because you don't have to sit around the same people each week), but each to their own.

The toilet facilities in the Western Stand are on par with the East/Southern Stands, the food/bev outlets are definitely poorer in the Western Stands (only having a couple of retrofitted bars on level 3 was a massive oversight in the original design of that stand), but the Western Stand gets some pretty decent food trucks to compensate for that.

At the end of the day though, the Western Stand craps all over the old Football Park members stand (and will probably do so until the time comes to upgrade the stand).
It is certainly better than the old Footy Park members area.

My costing included the extra you pay to reserve a seat.

The facilities in the other stands are closer to the seats and there are more of them.

And yes the food trucks are cool.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Upset that I couldn't go but 21,492 for the NRL last night - the highest crowd for Rugby in Adelaide since the Rams, and the 7th-highest attended match of the season (one being a Titans-Broncos double-header at Suncorp). Apparently the target was 20k so they'll be pleased with the crowd. See you next year Sydney, and hopefully we'll get a SoO game in the next 5 years or so!

Hope you guys get more NRL games, but as a Queenslander I must say that Origin game should stay within NSW and QLD, Vics would never give us the AFL Grand Final in a million years

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Hope you guys get more NRL games, but as a Queenslander I must say that Origin game should stay within NSW and QLD, Vics would never give us the AFL Grand Final in a million years
If we're going tit-for-tat that's true. the AFL GF isn't even spread across the "world" of AFL, and is played at the largest stadium in the country. I also question how likely it is that the NRL would ever send the NRL GF to Brisbane (both leagues keep the GF in their perceived "home city").

However as a way of growing the game nationally (I'm as likely to get to an AFL GF in Melbourne as I am to a SoO in Sydney/Brisbane) playing SoO in netural venues will do a lot for this. Both states should always get at least one home game per year and some years get two still. All 6 cities have (or will soon have) venues of at least 50k, making it viable and a big match environment.
Perhaps a rotation where every second year the second game is neutral would work:
Year A - Sydney | Brisbane | Sydney
Year B - Sydney | Melbourne/Adelaide | Brisbane
Year C - Brisbane | Sydney | Brisbane
Year D - Brisbane | Perth/Auckland | Sydney
Sydney and Brisbane get 5 games over 4 years, two Game 1, two Game 3, and one Game 2. Melbourne Perth Adelaide and Auckland get one game every 8 years, to keep it premium and not over-saturate the smaller markets.

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
I would like to see the NRL and the Roosters really get behind a game each season at the Adelaide Oval.

Maybe next year could be Roosters vs Cowboys or Broncos. Have 2 curtain raisers before first grade. Cheap tickets, kids free, promote the game well, teams to engage with the crowd after by walking the boundary.

Could lead into an RL Australia vs New Zealand in a couple of years. Then followed by a State of Origin game.

I would like to see the NRL and the Roosters really get behind a game each season at the Adelaide Oval.

Maybe next year could be Roosters vs Cowboys or Broncos. Have 2 curtain raisers before first grade. Cheap tickets, kids free, promote the game well, teams to engage with the crowd after by walking the boundary.

Could lead into an RL Australia vs New Zealand in a couple of years. Then followed by a State of Origin game.
If Roosters play Broncos in Adelaide on the same weekend the Lions play there that would make me happy on so many levels

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral

That's the plan from what the Roosters are saying. Unsure if they'll bring the Holden Cup teams or something over for curtain-raisers but would be something to build up to. Starting with Melbourne seems to be the "done thing" to encourage us to "kick a Vic" - unsure how well that really works!

I think with regards to rep footy we'd be more likley to get SoO as there are three of those each season but less Tests to share around.

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
That's the plan from what the Roosters are saying. Unsure if they'll bring the Holden Cup teams or something over for curtain-raisers but would be something to build up to. Starting with Melbourne seems to be the "done thing" to encourage us to "kick a Vic" - unsure how well that really works!

I think with regards to rep footy we'd be more likley to get SoO as there are three of those each season but less Tests to share around.

It seemed like a great night. Good for the NRL and good for the City.
Like you said something to build on, hopefully the NRL see what was good and what wasnt and add to it. Maybe in a few years it becomes a bit of a marquee game.

Would also like to see the ARU start playing Wallabies test matches at the Adelaide Oval.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It seemed like a great night. Good for the NRL and good for the City.
Like you said something to build on, hopefully the NRL see what was good and what wasnt and add to it. Maybe in a few years it becomes a bit of a marquee game.

Would also like to see the ARU start playing Wallabies test matches at the Adelaide Oval.
Socceroos, Wallabies and an NRL Premiership/SoO/Kangaroos match each year would be a good level I think.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

Cronulla and Canterbury-Bankstown made similar hints too when they brought games here. The Sharks bailed after 1 year (and 1 game out of 3 they planned) and Dogs after 2. Hopefully it's a little different with the Roosters.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The logos on the field today are very badly faded - almost like they either forgot to re-paint them!

The logos on the field today are very badly faded - almost like they either forgot to re-paint them!
I didn't notice that at the game, but within 20 minutes of the game finishing they had the tractor out and the lawn aerator was attached and they were working on the Toyota logo out on the eastern wing.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I didn't notice that at the game, but within 20 minutes of the game finishing they had the tractor out and the lawn aerator was attached and they were working on the Toyota logo out on the eastern wing.
Perhaps the logo is changing so they let it fade? They looked poor on TV that's for sure!
Another point in my argument for virtual advertising - you can change the logos without going through the "didn't use enough paint" phase :p

Greenstar5

All Australian
Jun 21, 2017
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Socceroos, Wallabies and an NRL Premiership/SoO/Kangaroos match each year would be a good level I think.

For sure mate. Why haven't the ARU had even one Wallabies test match here since the redevelopment. Makes no sense. Never going to grow the game if every 2nd test match is in Sydney or Brisbane.

There are 7 tests in Australia this year. 2 Barbarians games are now scheduled. 1 game couldn't be in Adelaide?

Would also love to see Origin game 2 played at the Adelaide Oval in 2020. Coming off MCG in 2018, Perth Stadium 2019.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
The level 4 LED signage has gone up on the eastern stands, as well as the level 3 LED signage on the western stands (which I thought was out of scope for the upgrade). That leaves level 4 of the Riverbank Stand and level 1 of the western stands as the only spots left with static signage.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
The level 4 LED signage has gone up on the eastern stands, as well as the level 3 LED signage on the western stands (which I thought was out of scope for the upgrade). That leaves level 4 of the Riverbank Stand and level 1 of the western stands as the only spots left with static signage.
Have they kept the "Sir Edwin Smith Stand" and "Chappell Stand" naming on the Western? And what have they done with the Bradman Pavilion, where the clock is?

Back