Eddie McGuire

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
why is he hated among many? I'm being genuine here. I don't know the guy personally, but on a professional level he is exactly that. Professional. To be honest I like his passion and drive for the game, his enthusiasm. I think he's a driven character and extremely intelligent and great for footy.

Heard he was back on the footy show last week? I always liked it when he was the presenter. He's good at directing things whether it's on the radio, footy show or on tv.

A lot of campaigners say they hate him because he's pro Collingwood. Big *en deal.

here's old eddy when he was young eddy.

Anyway I love the campaigners passion for the game and the way he'd defend Collingwood literally to the death. He lives and breathes footy, I can relate to that as can most of you.

Die hard fan and I love it!

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
I dont think anyone has hated anything apart from the fact that he was the dictionary definition of "conflict of interest", and that he argued that others get unfair advantage whilst turning a blind eye to the massive leg up Collingwood get from the AFL from things like fixturing.

Now he's seen as just a trailblazer for everyone else involved in football to do it. So no real hate anymore.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
I dont think anyone has hated anything apart from the fact that he was the dictionary definition of "conflict of interest", and that he argued that others get unfair advantage whilst turning a blind eye to the massive leg up Collingwood get from the AFL from things like fixturing.

Now he's seen as just a trailblazer for everyone else involved in football to do it. So no real hate anymore.
Wrong.

I heard on the radio this morning that Eddie's production company will be producing football programmes on 3 networks next year - Foxtel, Ch 9 and Ch 7

Pretty obvious why the northern clubs hate him, but people wouldn't hate Eddie so much if other presidents were more vocal, had more media presence and/or fought harder.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I find him a bit full of s**t.

His "new stadium" thing was the perfect example. He simply wanted a new stadium built for Collingwood smack bang between their training ground and the MCG, so that they never have to stray more than a few hundred metres between the three venues.

Yet he dresses it up as this huge great community project that will be awesome for everybody. Eddie, we know you're the president of Collingwood. How stupid does he think people are?

Comes across as a bit of a bully too. He said he should be president - basically forever - because "I know where the skeletons are buried". He actually said that. WTF?

It's very, very basic corporate practice that having one leader for decades on end isn't a good thing. He would know it. Yet he rules by force and fear. There are plenty within Collingwood coteries who want him challenged but nobody will put their hand up because they know Eddie will use his media platform to hurt them.

He went in with good intentions and did a good job, but for a least a few years now it seems like it's more for himself than Collingwood.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Loved him on the footy show.

Think he has been a terrific president for Collingwood (thou maybe needs to think about moving on once a future direction is set). But should legit be in Collingwoods and the AFL Hall of Fame. He turbo charged Collingwood.

Admire his work ethic.

Can't stand the fact he carries on with the Broady Boy bullshit when he is one of the richest men in the country with a heap of connections. He was simply born in the right era and the force of personality means he got given and to his credit made the most of an unbelievable opportunity (others would kill for).

As to the rest: He is a Showman through and through. Not necessarily my cup of tea but have unbelievable respect for him and how he has mastered his craft.

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
Wish we had someone like him who actually stood up for our club because ours is ran by spineless men. Cook & Carter

Eddie at times be a bit much on commentary but is generally alright.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Speaking of presidents, John Elliot lol. Heard quite a few disliked him. As for Kennett tbh I like the guy. On Open Mike he was brilliant. Charismatic, Intelligent, and his hearts in the right place re mental health.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I find him a bit full of s**t.

His "new stadium" thing was the perfect example. He simply wanted a new stadium built for Collingwood smack bang between their training ground and the MCG, so that they never have to stray more than a few hundred metres between the three venues.

Yet he dresses it up as this huge great community project that will be awesome for everybody. Eddie, we know you're the president of Collingwood. How stupid does he think people are?

Comes across as a bit of a bully too. He said he should be president - basically forever - because "I know where the skeletons are buried". He actually said that. WTF?

It's very, very basic corporate practice that having one leader for decades on end isn't a good thing. He would know it. Yet he rules by force and fear. There are plenty within Collingwood coteries who want him challenged but nobody will put their hand up because they know Eddie will use his media platform to hurt them.

He went in with good intentions and did a good job, but for a least a few years now it seems like it's more for himself than Collingwood.
You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villian.

Obviously (given the username) I don't like his obvious bouts of racial discrimination and continued attack at an individual & club to cover his ass. I also dislike his bullying of others (often through other forms of discrimination &/or faleshoods projected as fact). Nor do I like his response to those "Gaffes" when called out on them.

Likewise his support/highlight of others who he can use to project himself as the good guy &/or make his slights seem less severe makes me believe him to be a self-centred manipulator. Happy to burn whoever he needs to get what he wants.

I would love someone as powerful to call out his vendetta against my & other successful clubs. He has a long history of using his positions of power in the media + at club/AFL level to influence, bully & force decisions in his favour.

I find that while it's clear he loves his club, his basis for argument is often self interest dressed up with club interest on the side.

Even given all of this, I respect his dedication to his club & his work in the media industry. Obviously he's made an absolute mint from doing it but I'm sure there's a love for the game there that we can all relate to none-the-less.

I however will not be sad to see him leave the game, his club or the media in the (hopefully not too distant) future.

Back