Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Fantastic work by the club. Some might not rate him but he's extremely valuable to our current structure and will be in his prime years during this contract. Would have cost more than we can afford to find a replacement for him.

Correction:
Just leave Reid and Rowan forward.

I'm a fan of forward balance with what we have now. Rowan and Reid both great overhead. Buddy is buddy and is superb everywhere except in the air- then he is only human. Rowans speed wow. Throw in Papley, Hewitt and Jack and gee that looks good to trap a ball in forward 50 keep it there and wait for a chance on the ground or in the air.

The only risk that won't work is horse getting the yips about momentum swings and sending reid and/ or Rowan back to defence.

I should add that I disagree with what horse said about why all the poor shooting the last few weeks. He said was a product of the location of shots. Rather I believe it is a product of our style of play. We trap the ball forward 50 for long periods of time and that CAUSES congestion and hasty snaps at goal. When we do get a mark set shot we already have the yips from missing too many hasty snaps which builds pressure causing misdirected shooting. Strategy remains good. We simply need better luck to succeed with a few early snaps and it will feed calmness

You play a lot of golf don't you....? how's your putting going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Awesome! Like the way he can swing down back when needed. Really thought he would go and try and get to Collingwood, you made the right choice Sammy ☺

Remove this Banner Ad

Back