Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
At the end of the day it's good to see Lonie get those stats. Obviously a lot of people are not a fan of him on here and it's fair enough, he's inconsistent and he's had trouble putting together big games at AFL level. But he is playing a tricky position in the AFL team and when he goes on ball at VFL level he is a beast.

I have to say I think he was really stiff to get dropped this week. He did have only 8 possessions but he won 2 or 3 free kicks in the last quarter when the game was on the line, they may have been soft but he had to be in there to win them. I really hope Mav steps up today for the 1sts because he is lucky to be in ahead of Lonie this week.

I hope Lonie gets another contract for next year. When I look at Papley from the Swans I think Lonie could be a player like him. If he can put on some kg's he will be very useful. He's got a serious appetite for the contest. At the end of the day I don't think you want to be de-listing guys that are so clearly above VFL level and still young, still think he has a future in the AFL competition and much prefer him over Minch, Wright, and at this stage Long as well (and probably Mav on current form too).

Disappointing to see the team couldn't get over the line but it's a big improvement on the floggings. I notice a few comments from people on facebook mentioning that Connellan looks fast and had another decent game, very pleasing. Watching that Irishman for the Bombers yesterday, I was thinking how quickly these Irish guys can bridge the gap. In one year Connellan has become a flashy quick forward pocket in the VFL. With exposure at AFL level it's exciting to think what he could become for us. Would love to see him get a run actually.

May 23, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
At the end of the day it's good to see Lonie get those stats. Obviously a lot of people are not a fan of him on here and it's fair enough, he's inconsistent and he's had trouble putting together big games at AFL level. But he is playing a tricky position in the AFL team and when he goes on ball at VFL level he is a beast.

I have to say I think he was really stiff to get dropped this week. He did have only 8 possessions but he won 2 or 3 free kicks in the last quarter when the game was on the line, they may have been soft but he had to be in there to win them. I really hope Mav steps up today for the 1sts because he is lucky to be in ahead of Lonie this week.

I hope Lonie gets another contract for next year. When I look at Papley from the Swans I think Lonie could be a player like him. If he can put on some kg's he will be very useful. He's got a serious appetite for the contest. At the end of the day I don't think you want to be de-listing guys that are so clearly above VFL level and still young, still think he has a future in the AFL competition and much prefer him over Minch, Wright, and at this stage Long as well (and probably Mav on current form too).

Disappointing to see the team couldn't get over the line but it's a big improvement on the floggings. I notice a few comments from people on facebook mentioning that Connellan looks fast and had another decent game, very pleasing. Watching that Irishman for the Bombers yesterday, I was thinking how quickly these Irish guys can bridge the gap. In one year Connellan has become a flashy quick forward pocket in the VFL. With exposure at AFL level it's exciting to think what he could become for us. Would love to see him get a run actually.

With Wright done, Minchi done, Lonie out of the side and Weller out of form I reckon Conellan might be a chance at a late game.

I'd probably prefer NOK to get a game ahead of him though.

Sainter88

Team Captain
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
With Wright done, Minchi done, Lonie out of the side and Weller out of form I reckon Conellan might be a chance at a late game.

I'd probably prefer NOK to get a game ahead of him though.

Agree with that, NOK needs to at least be given a game before seasons end. Would hate for him to go somewhere else and kill it there, was a gun in juniors.

Lonie was a gun at juniors, he slid to a late pick purely because he was small.
He WILL get more physical as he ages.
Even small players like Milne and Daisy Thomas, eventually bulk up after years of work.
it might take him longer , but the kid has got something.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lonie was a gun at juniors, he slid to a late pick purely because he was small.
He WILL get more physical as he ages.
Even small players like Milne and Daisy Thomas, eventually bulk up after years of work.
it might take him longer , but the kid has got something.

That's fine by me, but he can do it at Sandy IMO just like Sinclair has and Dunstan has.

sKXrjr1.png

Jmv4qgq.png

Seriously good effort by NOK and Lonie up against the likes of Kennedy, Kennedy-Harris , Brayshaw and Trengove to bring the game up to them.

Seems like they were really undermanned, and for a couple of smaller built guys it must have been hard work.

Just add an Armitage, or Freeman, or Minchington, or Curren, or Gilbert to that squad and the game is there for the Zebras.

Is there a rule that says a Sandy listed player has to be in the bests each week?
I've noticed each week at least one is there and they generally have quite low stats.

Also we only had 3 bests instead of 6 this week?

Back