Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

I am a huge Sam Reid fan and am super stoked about this news!

Have been meaning to put this below question on the board recently and this prob isn't the best time to do it, but I will anyway.

I reckon there's A LOT of noise in these numbers, and Reid is clearly the more versatile player in this comparison. But I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the per game stats in these two individual seasons:

Sam Reid (2017)
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-sydney-swans--sam-reid-1

Xavier Richards (2016)
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-sydney-swans--xavier-richards

The basic numbers are all incredibly similar, with Sam Reid getting 2 more hitouts a game and Richards getting .5 more goal assists per game and 2 more I50s a game.

Numbers don't tell the full story so don't @ me as if i'm saying Richards is an equally good player - I don't think that.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts on why someone like Reid is so much more valued.

Needed this news, stoked actually

Have been meaning to put this below question on the board recently and this prob isn't the best time to do it, but I will anyway.

I reckon there's A LOT of noise in these numbers, and Reid is clearly the more versatile player in this comparison. But I'd be interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the per game stats in these two individual seasons:

Sam Reid (2017)

Xavier Richards (2016)

The basic numbers are all incredibly similar, with Sam Reid getting 2 more hitouts a game and Richards getting .5 more goal assists per game and 2 more I50s a game.

Numbers don't tell the full story so don't @ me as if i'm saying Richards is an equally good player - I don't think that.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts on why someone like Reid is so much more valued.

Reid's produced similar attacking numbers as Richards, while spending like 25-50% of that time in the backline.

Also, from memory, Xave feasted on some s**t opposition while the team ran riot. Reid's by and large had to work a bit harder to earn those numbers

Sam Reid (2017)

Xavier Richards (2016)

Wow...Imagine what you might have asked if you were not a huge Sam Reid fan?

Sam Reid (2017)

Xavier Richards (2016)

I think it just goes to show context is needed to derive any meaning from stats.

XR played while the team was in full flight, and the sample size of his form is smaller hence easier for the average to look good.

Sam basically had to deal with the terrible forward supply of the first six weeks, being thrown into defense whenever momentum is against us, and play out of position in the ruck. Plus there were two games where his average was dragged down because he was injured, take out those two games and his average goes up to 14.5 disposals, 6.6 marks, 1.6 goals and the gap becomes apparent.

Sam Reid (2017)

Xavier Richards (2016)

You answered it yourself in your second last paragraph, so you really don't need an explanation

Some people gonna lose their s**t over this signing, he divides supporters for his worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta love this club and the key personnel that get thinks like this done seamlessly. That's nearly all our key players signed up to 2020/21/22 & 23 for Mills.

Gives us clear air to work in for the upcoming trade period.

All the external talk of Buddy's $ costing us players has basically proven to be hot air. Note that most clubs have a player on Buddy type money now. How much do you reckon Richmond will be paying Dusty, Freo Fyfe, GWS have a number on really big money Cameron on $1mill apparently so clever contract structure has seen us in a boat no different to most other clubs.

I'm very happy with recent contract news, very happy :)

Gotta love this club and the key personnel that get thinks like this done seamlessly. That's nearly all our key players signed up to 2020/21/22 & 23 for Mills.

Gives us clear air to work in for the upcoming trade period.

All the external talk of Buddy's $ costing us players has basically proven to be hot air. Note that most clubs have a player on Buddy type money now. How much do you reckon Richmond will be paying Dusty, Freo Fyfe, GWS have a number on really big money Cameron on $1mill apparently so clever contract structure has seen us in a boat no different to most other clubs.

I'm very happy with recent contract news, very happy :)
This.

Couldn't have said it better mate. :thumbsu:

Stoked with locking in a few absolute passionate, loyal, driven kids in Mills, Heens & Jones etc etc this year. Reidy is just cementing that next tier of players. Thd guys who have those extra years of development & experience. Such an important player structurally on the field but also age wise in the make up around the club off the field IMO.

He's gone from pretty much carrying our forward line, to a defender, chop out ruck, even through the middle/on a wing... Granted he's not smashed it like we all hoped. He has however proven this year he has value & that potential is still there & he's become more consistant. I also think his leadership has grown as well (which I've really noticed when watching him off the contest). He's been more vocal & active in directing traffic & communicating to the kids.

On ya Sammy! Give us a great final month this year mate. You missed out last year, prove how much of a loss you really were!!

I'm happy to keep him, but wouldn't have been devastated to see him go. Obviously it all depends on what money is on.

I think we're all in agreement that he's not going to reach the heights we hoped he would after his first couple of years when he honestly looked like he had the potential to be one of the KPFs in the competition. I think best case scenario is he takes another half step and becomes a consistent 30 goal a year forward with the ability to be a swingman. And he needs to find a way to impact games when he's not marking them because he goes missing a lot.

Sammy has had some good games this year and looks good in our structure. The perfect swingman and i do so love a Swinger!

He has been a big tease for us in the past, and while I also appreciate the odd big tease, I hope he plays in a couple of flags for us. Maybe 3...

Wow...Imagine what you might have asked if you were not a huge Sam Reid fan?

Yeah I guess I just didn't think XR was complete trash and hence the comparison isn't outlandish to me. I also recall him receiving high praise on here exactly 12 months ago - but as I've noticed on BF any player that leaves the club of their own accord gets savaged once their gone. Eh, anyway..

Yeah I guess I just didn't think XR was complete trash and hence the comparison isn't outlandish to me. I also recall him receiving high praise on here exactly 12 months ago - but as I've noticed on BF any player that leaves the club of their own accord gets savaged once their gone. Eh, anyway..

Only the deserving ones get savaged.

Have not read one single post that savaged Malceski for leaving.
Nobody bagged Mummy for leaving either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back