Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
Have heard plenty of good things about the kid,must make the effort to go down and have look.
Hamish Shepheard ended up on our rookie list from the AMR Hawks so maybe it's possible??

Kalani is playing colts for Margaret River at Margs home ground at noon this Saturday...I'm going, I haven't seen him play at colts level before.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
He has aboriginal heritage too,not sure if that makes it easier or not.So need to get this kid in our system...

He'll play state u16's next year imo.

Indigenous heritage only applies to Kimberley (Freo) and Pilbara (WC) zones. Was this Kalani kid (or one of his parents) born in Asia or Africa?

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
Heaps of kids excel at 13-14 then drop away. Others peak late, form at that age I'd take with a grain of salt.

I grew up with a kid who was gonna win gold medals for Australia in sprints and hurdles. Was breaking all sorts of junior records. National champion. Broke his leg at 16, average thereafter.

Heaps of kids excel at 13-14 then drop away. Others peak late, form at that age I'd take with a grain of salt.

I grew up with a kid who was gonna win gold medals for Australia in sprints and hurdles. Was breaking all sorts of junior records. National champion. Broke his leg at 16, average thereafter.
I have seen stories like this, it is very difficult to impart the value of strict rehab on teenagers who have never been let down by their bodies before.

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle

Definitely.....All comes down to the kids mind set once they get a bit older.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Can anyone explain in simple terms, what does it mean to us if a talented kid falls in our academy zone?
Presumably, these kids still have to nominate for the national draft - do we get a draft discount (like a father & son up pick?)
Yes, they go into the draft just like all players. Any club can bid on them and we can match the bid using equivalent points (minus the discount - like f/s).

Indigenous kids from The Kimberley and kids with diverse backgrounds from our other zones are eligible. Not to be confused with GC, GWS, Syd and Bris where ALL kids from their zones (ie the rich white kids that GWS is full of) can join their academy (not just indigenous/multicultural).

Yes, they go into the draft just like all players. Any club can bid on them and we can match the bid using equivalent points (minus the discount - like f/s).

Indigenous kids from The Kimberley and kids with diverse backgrounds from our other zones are eligible. Not to be confused with GC, GWS, Syd and Bris where ALL kids from their zones (ie the rich white kids that GWS is full of) can join their academy (not just indigenous/multicultural).

So Carter and the Walker kids are 100% ours providing we are willing to match bids on them come draft day?

Is that correct?

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
So Carter and the Walker kids are 100% ours providing we are willing to match bids on them come draft day?

Is that correct?
Unless the AFL changes the rules between now and their drafts - yes. Also Liam Henry who will be in the 2019 draft and is similarly talented from what I have seen.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty happy that if my 8 year old nephew is any good he will ends up in purple thanks to his Irish mum!

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
The attrition rates across all sports are nasty through the teenage years,but I'm not sure they track the elite talent separately and I suspect more of them would be retained.Particularly those with quality, experienced mentors and access to development programmes I'm guessing.
Not always a linear thing either.
We had a kid at school set new 100,200,400 metre sprint records in year 10.
Big strong kid about 185cm and 80+ kg at 15.Ran like the wind and an all round sportsman.
Broke both legs in a motorbike accident the following year.Then returned in year 12 and reset all his own records.
He then embraced some of the available distractions and was lost to all sport and athletics.
Probably had a great life:cool:.

Back