News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS got a mention in this interesting article:

From brisbanetimes.com.au

NRL in a league of its own – sadly

The AFL has pocketed almost $20 million more than the NRL from fundraising, leaving rugby league lagging behind even equestrian when it comes to tapping into a rich source of revenue.

Just a week after we revealed Greater Western Sydney will oppose plans to transform ANZ Stadium into a rectangular venue, Australian rules football has enjoyed a big financial win over rugby league.

The Australian Sports Foundation, the only body that offers donors tax-free donations, has just released its funding figures. Top spot was taken out by the AFL, which attracted $2 0million of the record $44.75 million splurged on sport. While league doubled its funding to $429,312, the sum places it as the 12th-ranked sport, behind 11th-placed equestrian. Several AFL clubs raised more than $1 million each – more than double what rugby league raised as a code.

At a time when NRL clubs are lobbying for government grants for high-performance centres, stadium upgrades and junior development, the figures show league officials are ignoring a potentially lucrative revenue stream. The discrepancy with Australian rules should be a huge concern.

"Given the popularity and profile of [league], we believe further substantial growth is possible to assist the game at all levels," said foundation chief executive Patrick Walker.

GWS got a mention in this interesting article:

From brisbanetimes.com.au

NRL in a league of its own – sadly

The AFL has pocketed almost $20 million more than the NRL from fundraising, leaving rugby league lagging behind even equestrian when it comes to tapping into a rich source of revenue.

Just a week after we revealed Greater Western Sydney will oppose plans to transform ANZ Stadium into a rectangular venue, Australian rules football has enjoyed a big financial win over rugby league.

The Australian Sports Foundation, the only body that offers donors tax-free donations, has just released its funding figures. Top spot was taken out by the AFL, which attracted $2 0million of the record $44.75 million splurged on sport. While league doubled its funding to $429,312, the sum places it as the 12th-ranked sport, behind 11th-placed equestrian. Several AFL clubs raised more than $1 million each – more than double what rugby league raised as a code.

At a time when NRL clubs are lobbying for government grants for high-performance centres, stadium upgrades and junior development, the figures show league officials are ignoring a potentially lucrative revenue stream. The discrepancy with Australian rules should be a huge concern.

"Given the popularity and profile of [league], we believe further substantial growth is possible to assist the game at all levels," said foundation chief executive Patrick Walker.

OK, wonder what will happen with ANZ, Tony Shephard is the SCG trust head honcho ?

OK, wonder what will happen with ANZ, Tony Shephard is the SCG trust head honcho ?
I dont really understand the motivation to change it to a square stadium so hard to read. You would rhink the Owners of ANZ would want it to be as flexibke as possible to maximise revenue.
I think he may have been simply thinking that a relatively small effort might keep it as an option, the obvious one being a Swans derby final.
The risk in losing it is there wont be a stadium with anything like the capacity for a very long time in Sydney.
If he cant manage that conflict of interest then he's got problems, but I think he's fine. Not sure the AFL would want to give the SCG owners too much clout, their traditionally hard to deal with, although recently the big bash got a great deal from them so maybe their on the back foot. ANZ lurking in the background could be why though.

I dont really understand the motivation to change it to a square stadium so hard to read. You would rhink the Owners of ANZ would want it to be as flexibke as possible to maximise revenue.
I think he may have been simply thinking that a relatively small effort might keep it as an option, the obvious one being a Swans derby final.
The risk in losing it is there wont be a stadium with anything like the capacity for a very long time in Sydney.
If he cant manage that conflict of interest then he's got problems, but I think he's fine. Not sure the AFL would want to give the SCG owners too much clout, their traditionally hard to deal with, although recently the big bash got a great deal from them so maybe their on the back foot. ANZ lurking in the background could be why though.

Yep, dont think its a great stadium, will see what happens, a 25,000 crowd at Spotless seems to better than a 50,000 at ANZ, but the AFL has a policy to expose as many as possible to the game.

Yep, dont think its a great stadium, will see what happens, a 25,000 crowd at Spotless seems to better than a 50,000 at ANZ, but the AFL has a policy to expose as many as possible to the game.
Agreed it isn't, hard to tell tequirements in a decade ot two though and ANZ could be the only big option for that long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd think end of season. Unless his knee is really bad.

The big question is what next. I'd like him to stay another season or two as the forward line coach and maybe even an assistant to McConnell.
He would learn a lot about the post match-next match analysis and general coaching craft from Al.

Eh? Unless you really hate ANZ? I don't see any difference to what our position is.

Sydney says it should be at ANZ - "You should get a final in your home state. Last year we played our home final at ANZ and we didn't complain. We just turned up and played. It's up to the AFL. If we did play GWS you are likely to get a big crowd and you need to get them in."

GWS says it should be at ANZ - “It’s been made clear our home finals are to be played at Spotless Stadium. The exception was ANZ Stadium if there is an all-Sydney final."

The only reference to the SCG is the author editorialising - "That would leave the SCG as the alternative venue".

The corresponding Daily Telegraph (ugh) article doesn't even mention the SCG - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/fd8c36d74451cf1e80e4e528afe2bb9b.

Eh? Unless you really hate ANZ? I don't see any difference to what our position is.

Sydney says it should be at ANZ - "You should get a final in your home state. Last year we played our home final at ANZ and we didn't complain. We just turned up and played. It's up to the AFL. If we did play GWS you are likely to get a big crowd and you need to get them in."

GWS says it should be at ANZ - “It’s been made clear our home finals are to be played at Spotless Stadium. The exception was ANZ Stadium if there is an all-Sydney final."

The only reference to the SCG is the author editorialising - "That would leave the SCG as the alternative venue".

The corresponding Daily Telegraph (ugh) article doesn't even mention the SCG - http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/fd8c36d74451cf1e80e4e528afe2bb9b.

The quotes from Pridham clearly indicate their push for it to play at the SCG particularly as ANZ has surface issues.

I would rather we played it at the MCG than SCG if it eventuates. It would be a travesty if we were in that position and had to play on their home ground.

The ANZ deal was their deal, not ours.

The quotes from Pridham clearly indicate their push for it to play at the SCG particularly as ANZ has surface issues.

It's not much of a push if that's his effort to what I assume was a question along the lines of "If it can't be hosted at ANZ should it be at the SCG?"

I saw him during the telecast last night and noted how passionate he was!

Same here. Saw him go off and thought "how cool is that"

Then I thought "but we have no fans, and certainly no passionate fans":rolleyes:

Then I thought "Eff you you Effing BF tossers who talk such s#*t about us"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back