Why do you rate Treloar higher than Adams?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
I've asked this on here as I wanted to get the opinion of opposition fans over the Pies fans.

A lot of Pies fans already rate Adams highly where is in the broader AFL community, it's automatically assumed that Treloar is the best young midfielder at Collingwood.

Who do you rate more highly? Why do some automatically think of Treloar and not Adams when discussing Collingwood's midfield?

Dreamteam wise, Adams is #1 for Collingwood this season, averaging 114, ahead of Grundy, and Treloar is 4th behind Sidebottom, averaging 109.

Treloar is a more consistent goal scorer, but Adams has kicked 6 in the last 3 games.

Both are averaging 30 and 6 tackles a game. Adams is averaging 1 more in contested and score involvement. Adams also gets an extra clearance a game on average. Both are going just under 70% for DE too.

They're almost identical so far this season with stats, yet Treloar is the one everyone raves on about when talking about Collingwood's mids.

I don't have a preference between one or the other and love having them both, but just curious as to why so few people rate Taylor Adams in the same category as Adam Treloar.

FYI, Adams is a few months younger than Treloar too and is highly touted as the next captain of Collingwood after Pendles. Stands up for his teammates and is a good leader on field.

Disclaimer - you're more than welcome to bypass this thread if it doesn't interest you.

Disclaimer 2 - it's a general footballing question, not just for Collingwood supporters and the Collingwood board.

I rate Trealor but just don't think he was worth two first round draft picks. On that basis alone, Adam is the more value acquisition. Trealor also butches the ball going forward while Adam seems better by foot (which isn't saying much).

Adams is a ball butcherer but is a good contested player. Treloar is a turnover merchant but is a good receiver.
I think they are both over rated tbh, but i would say Treloar as he kicks goals

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Adams is a ball butcherer but is a good contested player. Treloar is a turnover merchant but is a good receiver.
I think they are both over rated tbh, but i would say Treloar as he kicks goals
In what way are they both overrated? Can you elaborate on that?

I don't think anyone actually rates Adams, so if anything, he may be underrated.

In what way are they both overrated? Can you elaborate on that?

I don't think anyone actually rates Adams, so if anything, he may be underrated.
Treloar is good, would be a star if he wasnt so ordinary by foot. Has great pace and knows how to get it but his disposal and decision making are poor. Fix that and he is a genuine top 5-10 mid in the league. However the media talk him up like he is a multiple AA star.

Adams is hard at it and can get it, but geez he is terrible by foot. Once again talked up like a star, granted not as much as Treloar.

Who ever does the recruiting at Collingwood is either a terrible skill judge or doesnt put much emphasis on players who can kick. Either that or the skills coaches need to be given the ass.

For all the critism about Collingwood having no forward line or backline i dont think that is the case. Its more that the midfield is over rated by so many purely on the basis that their ability to use the ball is horrendeous bar Pendles & Wells (when he plays). They look good on the stats sheet with high possession numbers, but the use of the ball is horrible

Treloar has line breaking pace and from what i've seen kicks the ball very well for goal on the run. His field kicking is horrendous however and has more of a left stump than foot.

Adams wins the contested ball around the coal face which is his main strength. His field kicking is horrendous (worse than Treloars) and loves to kick the ball OOF. I've never seen a player turn the MCG into Simmonds Stadium as much as Adam's does. It's almost as if he is trying to give the crowd the footy.

Thats why Treloar is better.

Treloar is good, would be a star if he wasnt so ordinary by foot. Has great pace and knows how to get it but his disposal and decision making are poor. Fix that and he is a genuine top 5-10 mid in the league. However the media talk him up like he is a multiple AA star.

Adams is hard at it and can get it, but geez he is terrible by foot. Once again talked up like a star, granted not as much as Treloar.

Who ever does the recruiting at Collingwood is either a terrible skill judge or doesnt put much emphasis on players who can kick. Either that or the skills coaches need to be given the ass.

For all the critism about Collingwood having no forward line or backline i dont think that is the case. Its more that the midfield is over rated by so many purely on the basis that their ability to use the ball is horrendeous bar Pendles & Wells (when he plays). They look good on the stats sheet with high possession numbers, but the use of the ball is horrible

I don't understand this either. It seemed quite obvious the way the game was going that players need to be able to kick well. Hawthorn very obviously and publicly focused on kicking skill when recruiting and I know Geelong almost a decade ago started to get rid of everyone who was a poor kick. I am sure other clubs did similar. Why the Pies recruiting team missed this memo I do not know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matches I've seen Treloar has shown better skills especially in front of goal.
So Treloar is the one I rate higher.

Treloar is already a star, not sure why you don't see him as one.

You don't need to have every attribute at an elite level to be a star midfielder in the comp. Judd was never a good kick, Swan was never a good kick, Pendlebury is too slow, but what they have, and have in spades, in other areas well and truly covers any deficiencies.

One knock I personally have on Treloar is his ability to run both ways, but that has improved.

He may not be a top 5 midfielder at present, but he's in the top 15-20 at the moment whilst having poor kicking skills, and poor decision making.

The reason he is rated is that he has time on his side to fix the basics. He is only 23.

I personally haven't seen the media overhype him, or make him out to be anything more than he is. Keep in mind he did finish equal 4th with over 20 votes in last year's Brownlow. So he was obviously in the top 5-10 midfielders of the comp last year if asking the umps who get a close look at midfielders week in, week out.

With Adams, again, who talks him up as being a star? He is extremely maligned by majority of opposition supporters for his disposal, but has other areas that are above average and gets over looked.

Based on your opinion above, you're probably being harsh on the two.

I agree that Collingwood's back and forward lines aren't as bad as being made out to be, and the midfield is getting overrated because of names running around in it.

I have never compared the two or thought about either much to be honest with you, but Treloar has been on fire against us a few times. The few neutral games I watch with Collingwood they both don't use the ball well enough though.

I've learnt something new today. Both have poor disposal by foot.

Delist at the end of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back