Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't count Alex Silvagni out just yet. Provides the best ground level tackling pressure out of all our defenders, while still able to play tall.

If I was an opposition forward and the opening siren is about to blast, ASOS is the one that I would be praying doesn't walk up to me.

kjr8

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Too little too late IMO.

He's grown and shown improvements, both at AFL, as well as VFL level - where he's been consistently amongst the best.

If only he had a Legendary old man that played for the club. Staggers me that there are ppl (not saying you) ready to cull Blaine, then at the same time want Dylan to get another year! ‍♂️

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
would love to pick up a young ruckman like sean darcy this draft.
wish we got him, 20 year old ruckman in the shane mumford role. Not afraid to throw his weight around and shows serious aggression.

Big Red is back

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2006
Visy park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
He's grown and shown improvements, both at AFL, as well as VFL level - where he's been consistently amongst the best.

If only he had a Legendary old man that played for the club. Staggers me that there are ppl (not saying you) ready to cull Blaine, then at the same time want Dylan to get another year! ‍♂️

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dylan will definately be gone , poor skills and no composure and had more than enough time

Happy to trade Weitering for Kelly

Jones , McCredie, ploughman , Marchbank with back up ASOS is more than enough

I'll take Weitering as my first pick defender on a 2 year view (over Jones included) and certainly ahead of any of the other skinny runts playing loose as a goose back there and not getting called on their multiple in game errors - because they weren't picked as #1 by the Club. Weitering was asked to commit to a longer term contract and did.

I hope the Club never again allows itself to become hostage to 'the chosen ones' type scenario - so much invested in so few for so long for so little return. Any hint of anyone thinking that they are entitled should be met with culling. I dont think Weitering is such a person.

At any rate - the strategy of stocking upon multiple talls is a exactly that a strategy - you get young talls in and develop them because they take longer to be able to handle the one on one's when they have to. I really happy the Club has a few 'extra' talls - and now I look forward to the Club culling its pretend mids and replacing them with better quality - only marginal improvement is required over some of the VFL types running around for us at the moment to make a huge difference in team performance.

Watch Dustibin's play next year after he has scored a ridiculous over the top salary for 7 years or whatever he is asking for from Richmond - it will be very funny. I'm NOT for a Kelly trade in on dollars suggested - someone else can have these types of totems. eg I would take Kelly in on a LOT LESS dollars than will be required to keep Cripps. Kelly isn't a match winner for GWS he is part of a really strong midfield that plays accordingly.

Ignore the draft at our peril. Do the time and build depth. We need 2-3 midfielders added to list who can play inside grunt and have some skill - the polish comes with development and a team based game plan. I'll back Bolton over any individual player.

Ignore the draft at our peril. Do the time and build depth. We need 2-3 midfielders added to list who can play inside grunt and have some skill - the polish comes with development and a team based game plan. I'll back Bolton over any individual player.

Nothing wrong with that path and maybe we're still a year or even two short of adding in the missing pieces, but I still think that can be done in conjunction with the draft. See last years trade using what will amount to a pick ~15 for Marchbank & Pickett.

Just remember that we've starved ourselves on the TPP front for two years now and we may have to spend the money we've put away for a rainy day.
If that is the case as I understand it to be, there is no reason we wouldn't trade out draft picks for players we know will be better than for what we can reel in via the draft.

Without all the numbers, it's just that little harder to know exactly which way we'll head.......but fair to surmise that we'll see several ready-to-go mids join the club this year and if it is against draft picks, then so be it.

Nothing wrong with that path and maybe we're still a year or even two short of adding in the missing pieces, but I still think that can be done in conjunction with the draft. See last years trade using what will amount to a pick ~15 for Marchbank & Pickett.

Just remember that we've starved ourselves on the TPP front for two years now and we may have to spend the money we've put away for a rainy day.
If that is the case as I understand it to be, there is no reason we wouldn't trade out draft picks for players we know will be better than for what we can reel in via the draft.

Without all the numbers, it's just that little harder to know exactly which way we'll head.......but fair to surmise that we'll see several ready-to-go mids join the club this year and if it is against draft picks, then so be it.

We all live in hope but the facts are that the Club has less trade/draft currency to invest this year than previous - no second rounder for example. Will be interesting to see what develops ( as it always is) ...

Graham/Buckley/Smedts/Palmer/ Sheehan / Jacksh ...these are the players who SHOULD be genuine AFL quality and ready to go ..and sadly aren't for whatever reason(s) - we need Polson to develop and I hope Cuningham isn't leaving...very nervous about his lack of signing.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Lyons, Hrovat and De boer would have been nice cheap options to get last year...all been pretty good for their new teams so far.

There doesn't seem to be quite as many of that ilk that I can see being available...Balic, miles and Zaharakis the first 3 that come to mind.

Space Cadet

All Australian
Feb 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Liked the balance of our defense last night with 2 true KPD's plus Plowman.
With Marchbank, Macreadie and McKay on the sidelines, I don't see any way to move forward with all our young talls fitting in the team.
We're very fortunate all these players have shown what they have, the obvious move is to cash in on this currency to add talent where we lack it.

I don't think we'd trade JW, but I don't expect SOS to play favourites when it comes to improving the team. What would be preferred in the 22: JW and one of our fringe mids, or Macreadie and Kelly?

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
We all live in hope but the facts are that the Club has less trade/draft currency to invest this year than previous - no second rounder for example. Will be interesting to see what develops ( as it always is) ...

Graham/Buckley/Smedts/Palmer/ Sheehan / Jacksh ...these are the players who SHOULD be genuine AFL quality and ready to go ..and sadly aren't for whatever reason(s) - we need Polson to develop and I hope Cuningham isn't leaving...very nervous about his lack of signing.

Yeah getting pretty worried about Cuningham...it's been very quiet about it to no one seems to know why he hasn't signed no rumour at all.

Can't see why he would leave though...2Nd year player and a midfielder who will get plenty of opportunities with us given our lack of depth. He's already best 22. Plus it seems we really rated him higher than most others...Iirc it surprised most that we took him at pick 23 or whatever it ended up being. Was seen as one from a bit left field.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Liked the balance of our defense last night with 2 true KPD's plus Plowman.
With Marchbank, Macreadie and McKay on the sidelines, I don't see any way to move forward with all our young talls fitting in the team.
We're very fortunate all these players have shown what they have, the obvious move is to cash in on this currency to add talent where we lack it.

I don't think we'd trade JW, but I don't expect SOS to play favourites when it comes to improving the team. What would be preferred in the 22: JW and one of our fringe mids, or Macreadie and Kelly?

Agree with you but doubt we will trade any of them willingly just yet...with all of them being young things can change quickly and depth with talls is good to have.

McKay will replace casboult in time so that problem is solved. Then we have Marchbank and Macreadie. Arguably Marchbank is mobile enough we could squeeze him in the team for someone like Smedts from the team against West coast.

Macreadie is the unfortunate one to be squeezed out but he's only a first year player picked in the 40s...most spend a few years at VFL anyway. Plus he would be first one in the team for an inevitable injury or suspension.

Yeah getting pretty worried about Cuningham...it's been very quiet about it to no one seems to know why he hasn't signed no rumour at all.

Can't see why he would leave though...2Nd year player and a midfielder who will get plenty of opportunities with us given our lack of depth. He's already best 22. Plus it seems we really rated him higher than most others...Iirc it surprised most that we took him at pick 23 or whatever it ended up being. Was seen as one from a bit left field.

Want see him at Carlton - surprised he hasnt been re- signed already.

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Afl article says Balic is a certainty to leave Freo back to Victoria...hope we get him should come basically free.

If we can get a pick around 18 for Cas or even a PP around 18 and get Balic with said pick I'd say that would be a good outcome in isolation. If we can get him using 36 even better!

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
First there was talk of trading Murphy and now Weitering. This place is so funny some times.
At the end of the day as silly as those suggestions sound its just people frustrated with what weve all been through regarding our team . And just want to see us improve and be successful . We all have the best interests of the club at heart i would think :thumbsu: .

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
At the end of the day as silly as those suggestions sound its just people frustrated with what weve all been through regarding our team . And just want to see us improve and be successful . We all have the best interests of the club at heart i would think :thumbsu: .

I stopped reading at... Silly

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
If we can get a pick around 18 for Cas or even a PP around 18 and get Balic with said pick I'd say that would be a good outcome in isolation. If we can get him using 36 even better!

Don't see why we would even have to use 36. He was pick 38 originally, out of contract and home sick. Basically refusing to play for Freo who have granted him 2 in season leave breaks...tbh doing a bit of a McCarthy.

Freo would consider themselves lucky to get a 4Th rounder for him. He's dead set on leaving so if he chooses us I reckon he'd use the psd pathway if he had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back