Preview Gold Coast vs Essendon, Carrara, Saturday 19/08/17 @ 7:25 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Gold Coast: Started really well against Brisbane but fell away badly after the first quarter, Brisbane scoring 19.8 to Gold Coast's 6.7 from there to lose by 58 points. David Swallow had a solid return to the side with 30 disposals whilst Jack Martin was the main man up front, kicking 4 goals for the Suns, who really missed Tom Lynch up front.

Essendon: Held their own against the best side in the comp so far this season in Adelaide without two key players, but late goals in quarters blew out the margin from maybe a 4 goal loss to a 7 goal loss. Andrew McGrath was clearly best on for the Dons, collecting 25 disposals whilst keeping Eddie Betts goalless, and the twin towers of Hooker and Daniher kicked 7 between them up forward.

Head to Head (last 5)

Gold Coast 2-3 Essendon

Form Guide

Gold Coast: 0W, 5L
Essendon: 3W, 2L

Sportsbet odds

Gold Coast: $2.73
Essendon: $1.46
Line: 14.5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Gold Coast vs Essendon

B: McGrath - Ambrose - Kelly
F: McPherson - Wright - Ainsworth
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Dea
HF: Lyons - Martin - Lemmens
C: Parish - Watson - Heppell
C: Bowes - Hall - Rosa
HF: McDonald-Tipungwuti - Daniher - Colyer
HB: Saad - McKenzie - Joyce
F: Stewart - Hooker - Laverde
B: Harbrow - May - Spencer
R: Bellchambers - Goddard - Zaharakis
R: Currie - Miller - Swallow
I: McKenna - Green - Myers - Z Merrett
I: Sexton - Ah Chee - Scrimshaw - Schoenfeld

Gold Coast defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon's forward line has been excellent this year, kicking a goal 28.4% of the time it enters forward 50, ranked 2nd overall in the AFL. Gold Coast's defensive efficiency has been extremely poor, conceding a goal 27.3% of the time it enters their defensive 50. The big issue for the Suns will be the talls of Essendon, Steven May is a star but will only be able to do so much against the likes of Coleman leader Joe Daniher, Cale Hooker and James Stewart considering he doesn't have another tall defensive partner right now, Trent McKenzie and Max Spencer both 190cm but both less than 87 kilo's, where the lightest of the three Essendon talls is 94 kilo's. Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti will again be a handful for the Suns defenders, who struggle to shut down quality small forwards throughout their brief history in the competition, not to mention the likes of Laverde and Green as well.

Midfield/rucks battle

Gold Coast are a strange beast in the engine room, as they're 3rd in clearance differential but are struggling in contested possession differential, only 12th in that particular statistic. Essendon on the other hand are poor in both areas of the midfield, having been 15th in the former category as well as being 11th for contested possession differetial. The main men for the hosts will be Jarryd Lyons and Aaron Hall with Ablett out, but there's a real lack of star quality in there. Essendon will welcome back likely BnF winner Zach Merrett into the fold of the midfielder alongside the likes of Dyson Heppell and Brendan Goddard, which actually puts Essendon's midfield ahead for the moment, due to the lack of polish from their midfielders. On the outside Essendon's experience of the likes of David Zaharakis and Travis Colyer should pay dividends for the Dons. Ruck wise, Essendon have a clear advantage with Tom Bellchambers against Tim Currie, the former being in great form before getting injured/sick.

Gold Coast forward line vs Essendon defence

Essendon's defence has been one of the best in the game, conceding a goal 23.3% of the time it enters defensive 50. Gold Coast are bang on the average this season, kicking a goal 24.5%of the time it enters their forward 50. The Suns have a big loss up forward with co-captain Tom Lynch taking the rest of the year off with a PCL injury, which means Peter Wright is riding solo up front in a key position sense, and will likely be opposed to Paddy Ambrose from the Bombers. Ben Ainsworth is probably the #1 small forward in the Suns line up right now, his battle with probably Andy McGrath could well be one to watch for the future, as both will likely transition to mostly in the midfield. The rebound and drive from the likes of Michael Hurley and Martin Gleeson will also be important for the Dons winning well.

X-Factor Player

Jack Bowes has had a topsy-turvey season so far but there is very little doubt that he's shown a lot of quality for the Suns, and Suns fans will be excited to watch him play a few weeks in a row now to show how much he's learned this year

Key stat

Gold Coast: Defensive efficiency. The Suns are known for being a leaky team under normal circumstances, let alone against one of the better scoring sides

Essendon: Clearances. This is actually a chance to dominate the inside battle for a week with the lack of quality ball finders for the Suns

Tip

Gold Coast are terrible, Essendon by 55

Last edited:
This will be interesting - we should get up but you just never know and Gold coast much harder to beat up there than in Melbourne. They are coming of a near 10 goal loss in their Derby against the Lions, while we didnt fair much better going down by 43 points to the Crows on our home deck. Its fair to say though that the Gold Coast are in a bit of disarray - caretaker coach (loved Dean Soloman as a player and wish him all the best just not this week against us), Ablett likely leaving, little leadership etc whilst we are still a chance to play finals. We really really need to win this though if we are any chance to play finals and that might just be enough to get us over the line. Possible changes and lineup might be;-

OUT: Myers, Laverde, Colyer, Watson
IN: Bird, Francis, ZMerrett, Baguley

Francis Ambrose Baguley
Gleeson Hurley McGrath
Zakka Goddard McKenna
Tippa Daniher Parish
Stewart Hooker Green

Luey Heppell Z.Merrett

Bench from: Kelly Dea Bird Howlett

We need to win this well. No excuses. 50+ margin with finals on the line. It's time to start playing our best football.

OUT: Colyer, Howlett, Watson, Dea
IN: Mutch, Merrett, Bird, Baguley

If TBC is fit, then TBC for Leuy. I also want to see Hartley back in the side, but I don't know who to take out.

We cannot continue carrying Colyer, Howlett and Watson. Legitimately feels like we're 3 men down all the time.

I thought Laverde was better yesterday, so I'll keep him in. Moved well. Seemed to play more up the ground this time around.
Green and Walla had bad games, but I'll back them in to improve.

Not sure how Colyer & Myers keep getting games...??
Colyer had a whole 7 possessions against the Crows, and while Myers got 18 possessions they were at a lowly 61% disposal efficiency and included 4 clangers. Colyer tries to run too fast, and Myers just tries to bullock through packs grab the ball and kick it anywhere. Surely theres better options in the reserves - Langford or even Bird would offer more polish than Myers...

Out: McDonald-Tipungwuti (hamstring tightness), Watson (rested), Colyer (Omitted), Howlett (Omitted), Dea (Omitted).

Watson started poorly but worked into it later in the game. Needs a rest.
Baguley was rested so has to come in for a defender I'd say Dea who played his role and will be a bit unlucky to go out.
McDonald-Tipungwuti hamstring issues that match needs a week off.
Colyer and Howlett just not doing enough.

In: Zach Merrett, Baguley, Mutch, Begley, Langford.

Obviously Merrett to come in for Howlett

Laverde and Myers did enough to stay in.

My guess Watson plays, if not Bird.

Not opposed to Langford coming in or Begley getting a game if Walla isn’t right.

To those suggesting Myers goes out.
He won't.
He has been good around packs and just his disposal is letting him down.

Yes he does crash and bash packs but his disposal is shocking - I guess you are right though - hes been ordinary all year but he hasn't been dropped and given guys like Watson & Hocking are finished he almost keeps his spot because there is no one else who really does that role. Still think Bird or Langford offer more than him though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson was poor. Think he needs a rest. I'd make the following changes personally:

IN: Z Merrett, Hartley, Langford, Bellchambers (if fit), Begley (if Walla out)
OUT: Watson (rest), Howlett, Colyer, Leuenberger (if Bellcho fit), Walla (if inj)

Ambrose - Hartley - Dea
McKenna - Hurley - McGrath
Zaharakis - Heppell - Z Merrett
Laverde - Daniher - Begley
Green - Hooker - Stewart
Bellchambers - Goddard - Parish
Kelly - Langford - Myers - Gleeson

No matter what - we need to win. There's really not much else to it. I wish we had debuted guys like Begley and Mutch earlier this year. The coaches won't risk playing them at this stage as we are far too conservative.

Oh well to be honest we are a 7-10 team and that's where we will finish. If we make the finals I doubt we would go far anyway. Our midfield just isn't good enough.

Mathematically very tough to get to finals now. But if we do, i'd like to see some kids get a game prior to and give them exposure.

In: Mutch, Merrett, Begley, Francis, Hartley, Langford
Out: Howlett, Colyer, Dea, Myers (Rest), Watson (Rest), Kelly (Rest)

Gleeson Hartley Francis
McKenna Hurley McGrath
Parish Zaka Mutch
Begley Daniher Tippa
Stewart Hooker Green
Berger Heppell Merrett
Langford Laverde Goddard Ambrose

Our top tier mids are Merrett, Zaka, Heppell and Parish. We need these guys getting the ball more often.

Ambrose is a tricky one. He is competing with either Hartley or Gleeson for a spot, but i think both of them are in fine form.
Given his size and athleticism, i wouldn't mind seeing him transition onto the ball. He tackles hard, defends tightly and he can move quite well.
Perhaps a run with role with Ablett (if he plays) to see if he can limit the impact of a star player. Reckon Paddy is a good size to run with Dangerfield/Sloane/Martin type players.

The Langford/Laverde midfield rotation i am keen to get started.
Laverde was pretty good in patches against the Crows, but he doesn't have the instinct of a forward.
Langford can do both, but appears more needed as a mid.

IN: Begley / Langford / Merrett / Francis
Out: Watson / Howlett / Kelly / Goddard

If Tippa is injured then maybe a Mutch plays instead.

Begley to play in middle & HF similar to Watson.
Langford to play Howletts role in the middle
Francis to play Kelly's role and create some chemistry with back six & play some time up forward.
Merrett plays where ever he damn well wants to play....

No point messing around with the geriatrics now. Sorry Watson I love ya, but the team & its future is bigger than any individual.
Watson's last game will be against Freo at home any way

I really hope that Begley gets to play the next few weeks. He deserves a crack. Has the attitude of a bull & if he can increase his fitness will become a contested and tacking machine. Kid can play

Gold Coast Suns aren't using three tall forwards now Tom Lynch is out.
So Hartley coming back in makes no sense to those suggesting it, not unless Ambrose goes out or Hurley is rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back