2017 VFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Pfft. That's a local amateur club's thirds.

Happens all the time.

Try Ardmona SENIORS in the KDFL - 2 games, percentage of 3.37 after losing rd 1 by 274-20, and then slumping to a 349-1 result in rd 2.
That's who I play for haha. However that's amazingly bad.

Really a shame to see the stand alone clubs struggling so much. It would be tougher each year having to come up against afl aligned clubs who have several players training full time and conditioned to a standard of football against part time players who would work day jobs.

Really a shame to see the stand alone clubs struggling so much. It would be tougher each year having to come up against afl aligned clubs who have several players training full time and conditioned to a standard of football against part time players who would work day jobs.

Ease up, Port and Willy both won and Coburg were a kick away from rolling Collingwood.

It's only one stand alone club which has clearly had real problems off field and lacked support or direction after an alignment ended

Expect the exact same result on tuesday because reserve teams play the exact same style the seniors play.

It's one thing to play a particular style, but totally different to be able to execute your style of play better than the opposition. If your cattle don't play your game style as well as the opposition does theirs, you get done regardless.

Very silly comment.

Box Hill got found out for a lack of depth, and then you list your two best non-Hawthorn players leaving (Iles and Lock) leaving as a reason why you'll improve? You're going to be in for a harsh wake up call I think...

Still waiting for that wake up call ol' chap!!!

Whats been even more impressive is the number of injuries Hawthorn have had and how the VFL listed players have stood up.
Again, our 2's won last years development league GF by a RECORD margin - also illustrates the poor decision by the league to shelve the competition next year.

Whats been even more impressive is the number of injuries Hawthorn have had and how the VFL listed players have stood up.
Again, our 2's won last years development league GF by a RECORD margin - also illustrates the poor decision by the league to shelve the competition next year.

Well if one club can win the GF by a record margin, it would suggest the other 7 teams were way off the pace.

Amazing to think that Box Hill are sitting first on the ladder with the severe injury list at both levels and key VFL players like Fitzpatrick and Hams out injured.

Lovell will play the remainder of the year in the VFL. He's been the leading possession getter in his first two games back already.

O'Meara will return in the VFL this week and likely stay there so he can qualify for the finals.

O'Rourke is set to return either this week or next, significantly strengthening Box Hill's midfield depth.

Yeah, you've surpassed my expectations. One of two teams that have improved in a year that the rest have either regressed or stagnated, it's been the worst year of VFL I've seen since 2010.

The DL was always going to go. Honestly I watched a couple of DL games, one was Port vs Casey and the other Box Hill vs Casey and the standard was well below what I thought was acceptable. I would legitimately say my D1 VAFA side could match all three sides.

The DL was always going to go. Honestly I watched a couple of DL games, one was Port vs Casey and the other Box Hill vs Casey and the standard was well below what I thought was acceptable. I would legitimately say my D1 VAFA side could match all three sides.

That's pushing it a fair bit! IMO Development League is slightly below good TAC footy, which sits probably between Premier and Premier B footy.

Point being VFL players who miss out should now get a better standard to play if they're playing top division local/Ammo. The relationship between the "release club" and the VFL entity needs to be a good one for the player(s) to develop effectively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's pushing it a fair bit! IMO Development League is slightly below good TAC footy, which sits probably between Premier and Premier B footy.

Point being VFL players who miss out should now get a better standard to play if they're playing top division local/Ammo. The relationship between the "release club" and the VFL entity needs to be a good one for the player(s) to develop effectively.
I'm not joking. I reckon my club's firsts would challenge them.

Hmmmm, I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of the development league but VFL seniors v Best premier team would be tight. Premier and Premier B would flog a TAC side.

I'm not joking. I reckon my club's firsts would challenge them.

I love reading all your stuff eth-dog, but no ******* chance they get close! Development sides haven't been outstanding this year, but they still have a number of quality players in there that would be standouts at local at a much higher level. Development games certainly don't look as good because players work so hard to try and get the team structures/movements going so I reckon they'd enjoy playing D1 teams that don't chase or defend or tackle.

Hmmmm, I have to admit I haven't seen a lot of the development league but VFL seniors v Best premier team would be tight. Premier and Premier B would flog a TAC side.

Would back VFL seniors purely based on training standards and contested ball, but it would be great to see.
I agree on the Premier A/B vs TAC Cup, TAC kids can't defend and don't understand how to play against men, hence why the Development league is so beneficial, so these kids could start to learn how to change from a massively outside game at Under 18s to having to deal with pressure on the inside and a lot more physicality as well as actually learning to track an opponent and run towards their defensive goal.

Essendon upsetting Box Hill at home has made things interesting all around.

The Western Derby will be a huge match as Williamstown, in Ben Jolley's 250th game (well done by the way) take on a Werribee side desperate to stay in the 8.

Today's other match should see Collingwood being far too strong for North Ballarat.

Ladder:

Box Hill - 50
Williamstown - 48 (game in hand)
Port Melbourne - 42
Footscray - 40
Casey - 40
Richmond - 36
Essendon - 36
Werribee - 32 (game in hand)
------------------------------------
Collingwood - 28 (game in hand)
Northern Blues - 28
Sandringham - 28
Geelong - 24
Coburg - 4
North Ballarat - 4

Williamstown are currently leading the Bees in the last with the wind at their back. Top 4 up for grabs for the teams in 4th-7th. If Footscray win next week it looks like it's theirs

Williamstown are currently leading the Bees in the last with the wind at their back. Top 4 up for grabs for the teams in 4th-7th. If Footscray win next week it looks like it's theirs

Isn't that the 2pm live stream game..as in it hasn't started yet?

The run home for those in the 8 and fighting for it:

Box Hill: Port and Blues (H)
Williamstown: Casey and Footscray (A)
Port: Box Hill and Collingwood (A)
Footscray: Essendon (A) and Williamstown (H)
Casey: Williamstown and Werribee (H)
Richmond: Sandringham and Coburg (H)
Essendon: Footscray (H) and Geelong (A)
Werribee: Blues (home at Preston) and Casey (A)
Collingwood: Geelong and Port (H)
Blues: Werribee (away at Preston) and Box Hill (A)
Sandringham: Richmond and North Ballarat (A)
Geelong: Collingwood (A) and Essendon (H)

Isn't that the 2pm live stream game..as in it hasn't started yet?

The run home for those in the 8 and fighting for it:

Box Hill: Port and Blues (H)
Williamstown: Casey and Footscray (A)
Port: Box Hill and Collingwood (A)
Footscray: Essendon (A) and Williamstown (H)
Casey: Williamstown and Werribee (H)
Richmond: Sandringham and Coburg (H)
Essendon: Footscray (H) and Geelong (A)
Werribee: Blues (home at Preston) and Casey (A)
Collingwood: Geelong and Port (H)
Blues: Werribee (away at Preston) and Box Hill (A)
Sandringham: Richmond and North Ballarat (A)
Geelong: Collingwood (A) and Essendon (H)
Woops, that was the DL.

I have it finishing:

Williamstown
Box Hill
Port
Essendon
Richmond
Casey
Footscray
Sandringham

Ladder as of today:

Williamstown - 52
Box Hill - 50 (playing Port Melbourne)
Casey - 44
Port Melbourne - 42 (playing Box Hill)
Richmond - 40
Essendon - 40
Footscray - 40
Collingwood - 32
--------------------------
Northern Blues - 32
Werribee - 32
Geelong - 28
Sandringham - 28
Coburg - 8
North Ballarat - 4

Port Melbourne lead 7.2.44 to Box Hill 5.5.35 at half-time

Borough win by 28 points, moving to 3rd in the process.

Top 4 to come down to:

Casey v Werribee
Footscray v Williamstown
Richmond v Coburg
Geelong v Essendon

Should Casey lose (unlikely), Richmond are favourites to finish 4th on percentage. Casey's percentage would be a concern for them. Should they lose and all of Richmond, Footscray and Essendon win, they will be in 7th! A win to Casey guarantees them in the top 4. With Port Melbourne playing Collingwood and Box Hill playing Northern Blues, my likely top 8 is this:

1. Box Hill - 54
2. Williamstown - 52
3. Casey - 48
4. Port Melbourne - 46
5. Richmond - 44
6. Essendon - 44
7. Footscray - 44
8. Collingwood - 32
-------------------------
9. Northern Blues - 32
10. Werribee - 32
11. Sandringham - 32
12. Geelong - 28
13. Coburg - 8
14. North Ballarat - 4

Top 4 to come down to:

Casey v Werribee
Footscray v Williamstown
Richmond v Coburg
Geelong v Essendon

Should Casey lose (unlikely), Richmond are favourites to finish 4th on percentage. Casey's percentage would be a concern for them. Should they lose and all of Richmond, Footscray and Essendon win, they will be in 7th! A win to Casey guarantees them in the top 4. With Port Melbourne playing Collingwood and Box Hill playing Northern Blues, my likely top 8 is this:

1. Box Hill - 54
2. Williamstown - 52
3. Casey - 48
4. Port Melbourne - 46
5. Richmond - 44
6. Essendon - 44
7. Footscray - 44
8. Collingwood - 32
9. Northern Blues - 32
10. Werribee - 32
11. Sandringham - 32
12. Geelong - 28
13. Coburg - 8
14. North Ballarat - 4
Put Footscray and Essendon's games out of it. They can't make it

Top 4 to come down to:

Casey v Werribee
Footscray v Williamstown
Richmond v Coburg
Geelong v Essendon

1. Box Hill - 54
2. Williamstown - 52
3. Casey - 48
4. Port Melbourne - 46
5. Richmond - 44
6. Essendon - 44
7. Footscray - 44
8. Collingwood - 32
9. Northern Blues - 32
10. Werribee - 32
11. Sandringham - 32
12. Geelong - 28
13. Coburg - 8
14. North Ballarat - 4
You forgot to give Port points for winning next week.

Will be interesting to see where they fixture the finals, given Port is the main venue and they are likely to finish 3rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back