• 7th

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 8th

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Out of the 8

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did a ladder predictor. We'll finish third. GWS away first up then Sydney at the G. Straight sets is a real possibility.

I would back us to take Sydney at the G. I know we lost last time we played but we normally beat them at the G and last game round 13 was after our bye and we played poorly for 3 quarters and only went down by 9.

Jun 16, 2015
Reservoir
AFL Club
Richmond
Just got back from the clairvoyant. I'm not sure how to take this but she said that a young man will soar above the rest and will take aim to win the contest. His number will be the number of the year. The bell will sound and all will be forgiven. The curse will be lifted.

After discussing this with my wife and thinking long and hard, I believe she means Daniel Rioli will take a speccie and kick the winning goal in the Grannie wearing the No.17. The siren will sound and the Richmond curse will be lifted. I'm hoping so cos that cost me $100.

I could have told you that for 20 bucks.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We still need to win one more game to be an absolute guarantee for the top 8.

If we somehow lost all 3 remaining games, there will be a few teams on 13 wins that, as a result, would probably also be on better % than us, and we could end up 9th. Obviously being realistic here, but I don't think it'll come to that.

I think we'll beat Geelong this weekend though, might even put them to the sword. If we for some reason don't, we'll beat Fremantle who are going to be easing off now that finals are out of the picture, and I think St. Kilda will be out of the race in the last round and, aside from it being Nick Riewoldt's last game, we 'll beat them at the G.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
there is motivation for all 3 games, havent beaten cats in an eternity, owe freo for the after the siren s**t sausage, and owe the saints for dp'ing us

finals should be well off the mind map for this group atm
Cotch & the boys have a bit of a steely resolve. Like they've got unfinished business. As you say: vs cats, dockers & saints there are definite reasons for really wanting to win.
If they can keep that mindset, the H&A results should go our way. THEN our ladder position might give us a MCG final.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man Utd
most likely 2nd or 3rd.
Either way we play GWS first up.
win - play geelong at the G in prelim = GF guarantee
Lose - play Sydney at G in a semi = Adelaide in Adelaide in a prelim. = No GF..:(

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
If we finish 4th and lose to Crows, does that mean we get the Swans in a semi? Yuck

Exactly. Our optimal position was always to finish either second or third, thereby eliminating the possibility of playing Adelaide first up in Adelaide. That's not going to happen. So what happens if we finish fourth. We can reasonably expect to lose to Adelaide and then meet the winner of the 1st elimination final played between teams 5 and 8. At the moment, and that's the way I'm extrapolating this theme out, these are Swans and Bulldogs. If the Swans get up, almost a certainty, we could be looking at another straight sets exit.

We also don't want to finish 5th if the Swans finish 4th. While we could reasonably expect to beat the Doggies, we'd be looking at a game between either Adelaide or Swans the following week. Not a pleasant thought. So our best bet is actually to finish 6th or 7th. As things stand, we would play the Eagles in Melbourne in week 1 and, if we win, play the loser of the Geelong or GWS game in week 2. However, to do that, we would have to lose our next 2 games and have either Port, WCE or the Doggies win all of their last two games. Which is simply dopey.

While I can see the Swans winning their next two games, I can't see Geelong losing both of theirs, which would have to happen for the Swans to replace them in 3rd place. So it seems that we have had a season where we have been too successful not to miss a place in the finals but not successful enough to avoid playing arguably the two strongest teams in the competition at the pointy end of the year.

Whatever, I'm proud of the players and the coaching staff and enjoy the ride into our fourth finals series in five years.

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Exactly. Our optimal position was always to finish either second or third, thereby eliminating the possibility of playing Adelaide first up in Adelaide. That's not going to happen. So what happens if we finish fourth. We can reasonably expect to lose to Adelaide and then meet the winner of the 1st elimination final played between teams 5 and 8. At the moment, and that's the way I'm extrapolating this theme out, these are Swans and Bulldogs. If the Swans get up, almost a certainty, we could be looking at another straight sets exit.

We also don't want to finish 5th if the Swans finish 4th. While we could reasonably expect to beat the Doggies, we'd be looking at a game between either Adelaide or Swans the following week. Not a pleasant thought. So our best bet is actually to finish 6th or 7th. As things stand, we would play the Eagles in Melbourne in week 1 and, if we win, play the loser of the Geelong or GWS game in week 2. However, to do that, we would have to lose our next 2 games and have either Port, WCE or the Doggies win all of their last two games. Which is simply dopey.

While I can see the Swans winning their next two games, I can't see Geelong losing both of theirs, which would have to happen for the Swans to replace them in 3rd place. So it seems that we have had a season where we have been too successful not to miss a place in the finals but not successful enough to avoid playing arguably the two strongest teams in the competition at the pointy end of the year.

Whatever, I'm proud of the players and the coaching staff and enjoy the ride into our fourth finals series in five years.
You do know we can finish 2nd or 3rd still don't you.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
You do know we can finish 2nd or 3rd still don't you.
So the points at the moment with 2 rounds to go are:
Crows - 62
Giants - 56
Cats 54
Tiges - 52
Swans - 48

Crows to play Swans and Eagles. If they win both, they go to 70 points. If they lose one, they finish on 66 points.
Giants to play Eagles and Cats (at Skilled). If they win both, they go to 64. If they lose one (on the cards at Skilled) they finish on 60 points.
Cats to play Pies and GWS. If they win both, they go to 62 points. If they lose one, and it would have to be against GWS, they finish on 58.
Tiges to play Dockers and Saints. Assuming two wins, we finish on 60 points.
Swans to play Crows and Carlton. If they win both, they go to 56 points. If they lose one, they finish on 52.

Giants have a slightly better percentage than us but if we thrash the Dockers, we could end up ahead of them.

On form, Crows should end up in first place with at least 66 points. We could be battling GWS for second or third place if we end up on 60 points and a higher percentage. The big ask is for the Giants to beat the Cats at Skilled. I'd be happy if they did but I wouldn't be placing my life on that outcome.

So I understand that 2nd or 3rd are still mathematically possible outcomes. It will be determined by the Cats v Giants game and the percentages we can generate from our last two matches. I suppose the odds are long but we can always look to Leicester City for a precedent.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
Third after GWS beat Geelong.
Then we win our first of 6 flags in a row!

tigernsw

Premiership Player
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
If Port beat Pies today then next week we need:

Crows to beat Swans
Dogs to beat Port
Tigers to beat Dockers

Then Top 4 is locked in 100% regardless of what happens in round 23.
Worry about who we play after we get there. Wouldn't be bothered going in as underdogs when it's not sudden death.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
I think at this point it's reasonable to say that if asked whether we would even be having this conversation 12 months ago I would have said you were deranged. The improvement in our performances this year has been astonishing. I'm enjoying the journey and hoping we continue to destroy other people's perceptions of who we are and what we are capable of. Game on - let's smash them.

mannym

Draftee
Aug 13, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Crows - 62
Giants - 56
Cats 54
Tiges - 52
Swans - 48

Crows to play Swans and Eagles. If they win both, they go to 70 points. If they lose one, they finish on 66 points.
Giants to play Eagles and Cats (at Skilled). If they win both, they go to 64. If they lose one (on the cards at Skilled) they finish on 60 points.
Cats to play Pies and GWS. If they win both, they go to 62 points. If they lose one, and it would have to be against GWS, they finish on 58.
Swans to play Crows and Carlton. If they win both, they go to 56 points. If they lose one, they finish on 52.

Giants have a slightly better percentage than us but if we thrash the Dockers, we could end up ahead of them.

On form, Crows should end up in first place with at least 66 points. We could be battling GWS for second or third place if we end up on 60 points and a higher percentage. The big ask is for the Giants to beat the Cats at Skilled. I'd be happy if they did but I wouldn't be placing my life on that outcome.

So I understand that 2nd or 3rd are still mathematically possible outcomes. It will be determined by the Cats v Giants game and the percentages we can generate from our last two matches. I suppose the odds are long but we can always look to Leicester City for a precedent.

If Giants lose this week to Eagles(you never know)
and lose to Geelong in final week.....

It's possible that Geelong can finish 2nd
and Tiges can finish 3rd

(assuming geelong and tiges win their last 2 games)

If this happens, we will meet cats at the G in finals.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Crows - 62
Giants - 56
Cats 54
Tiges - 52
Swans - 48

Collingwood is to Geelong as Geelong is to Richmond. I reckon it's better than a 50% chance of the cats dropping at least one of the next two.

Back