Autopsy Season 2017 - "St Kilda v Melbourne Rd 21 2017"

Remove this Banner Ad

Longer played well I thought without looking at the stats

Sinclair, Steele put up the fight in the 2nd.

Gilbert BOG

Dunstan 3rd was really good

Membrey and Ross are going to have a hard review. Ross had the worst play of footy I've ever seen him produce in the 4th.

But I'm confident it was out of character for Ross and membrey

The skill errors are simply unacceptable, the goal kicking errors simply unprofessional.
So disappointing, another season that ended up being nothing more than a tease.
Hope all the kids get played bar the goodbye matches for our retiring players.
Pre season can't come quick enough.
Massive letdown against the most mentally weak side in the comp.
Hope the tigers can do a doggies.
Guess it's over to the trade and FA thread...

Poor game = poor year. The team havent improved if anything they have gone backwards. The brand of football is not sustainable by a team that lacks pace. Ill keep repeating it until the club wake up -there needs to be a significant shake up in our coaching & development staff at years end.

Tactically Richo is the worst coach in the competition.

What a waste. Mentally fragile
I can see where you are coming from I don't think it's fragility as such, if it was the fight back wouldn't have happened

I think it's more complacency. We just seem to roll on throughout the year. There's no real edge to the club right now. I think what we saw today was similar to some of the interstate performances last year where we just weren't switched on come first bounce.

Bigger picture I feel the growth to date has been organic purely from more experience and spending longer in an AFL system

I think we have to go from being this club that's happy to be stable and giving it a crack to a club that starts getting serious about where it wants to go. We need to turn the attitude from we've got this young list with a couple of missing parts where a lot of the players are just stoked to be having an impact at the highest level to a club that performs highly in all areas and drives high standards.

It should be about a flag now. If we don't think that's going to happen then make the changes

It's understandable, but I've read some glorious melts this afternoon. Fact of the matter is, even if we scraped through to finals we'd be straight out week 1.

We had a very inexperienced team out there today. And by inexperienced I mean we had two players today who know what it takes to play and win big games with lots on the line. The rest are still getting used to not being the underdogs and being expected to be pumped every week. I think mentally that requires a huge shift in the players, and perhaps (hopefully) this season will be a year of immense learning.

In saying that, the first quarter was absolutely inexcusable. Drop Bruce, delist Dunstan, Steven's fat and lazy, sack Richo etc etc.

I feel like we have to be happy with how the team is shaping up though? Next year our oldest player might well be 28 years of age and the players that look like winning us games are all 21-24 and relatively in the beginning stages in their careers. Of course we have been inconsistent, but it could be pinned onto our youth and inexperience;

Steele, who pretty much has bullocked his way into competition recognition, is 21 and at 35 games
Gresham and Membrey, who both are at 21 and just seem to do the most damage for us up forward
Billings is there in BnF talks at 21 and already has 61 games
White looks brilliant despite having played 3 games

The true meat of our team are borderline infantile and despite this have won us games throughout the year. Personally, I'm looking forward to their continued improvement pulling the Saints up the ladder in the next couple of years.

But then again, we really need to see something happen next year with the cattle we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess I'm in the minority who think we've improved this year
I think we've improved but I think the rate of improvement isn't anywhere near adequate enough

The results this year show you we've improved and we've addressed some of the issues we had last year

I'm now convinced we'll never play finals as long as Brucey is our Key Forward.
Doesn't lead at the ball, drops simple marks, fumbles, misses targets and can't ******* kick straight.

Drop him for the last 2 games and play Marshall/Paddy
He can play, he has a big tank and can take a mark and isn't the worst set shot.

The downside is the game moves too fast for him mentally, when he has to adjust or think about what he's doing he is as lost as any senior player i have seen.

Is there a role for him, I think there is but that's up to the coaches to define how they want him to play. It's like billy at present he rarely kicks although he's not a bad kick, that's by design and it's what needs to be done with Bruce.

Tell him exactly what you want from him and leave the clever stuff to the blokes better suited too it.

I agree with you.

In the end poor kicking in the first quarter cost us.

Dunston, Billings, Roberton, Acres and now Longer are coming on in leaps and bounds.

Disappointing to have our leaders let us down today.

Well played Melbourne, thanks for nothing Razer. We still have 2 games to get through, let's win 12, sign Robbo and Billings with whatever they want, recruit well and push on to next year.

It's never as bad we say on here nor never as good as the club portrays.

Honestly speaking if people can't see as a list we have improved then their biased or just looking for arguments.

But I'd argue the improvement had to happen, we added two monsters in our defence, and added more grunt to our midfield with Koby and Jack.

As our kids physically mature they will improve as players as well so yes we have improved but was it at the rate required to be competitive in all our games?

Also yes I'm really pleased that this season there was no reliance on Roo, Joey and Armo (and Dempster mind you). Our most experience player next year should be Gilbo and Armo if he ever makes it back, so this season has been carried by the youth who most of them will make it which makes me really pleased. Even Steven who should have been our best player this season was fairly averages and only showed up in bursts.
We need to add more talent to our best 22. I don't care if that's Kelly or draftees but we need talent that can improve us now not in 2/3/4 years.'

We have but finals was the aim & we failed miserably.

There needs to be burning in the gut rather than I'm content with our year attitude.

Yup frustrating season but where I thought we would be.

Transition year. Our development is coming on. Next year we will be one of the youngest teams in the league.
Dunstan, Acres, Steele,Ross, Gresh can all and will improve.

We have blokes like White, Robbo and Webster still improving.

We have guys like Freeman yet to play a game.
So much development to come despite what some ignorant people say.

And it depends if we can land some quality.

If we get this quality and lets face it, we need it. We have to make finals in 2018 or Richo needs to go.
Simple as that really.

No excuses in 2018.
None.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back