QFA Div 1

Remove this Banner Ad

3 Springwood 42 (Coops & Caloundra)
4 Caloundra AFC 36 (Maroochy & Springwood)
5 Coorparoo 36 (Springwood & Burleigh)
6 Mayne AFC 36 (Burleigh & Noosa)
7 Yeronga South Brisbane 36 (UQ & Maroochy)

How I reckon it'll finish

3 Springwood 46 (W & L)
4 Caloundra AFC 40 (L & W)
5 Coorparoo 40 (L & W)
6 Mayne AFC 40 (W & L)
7 Yeronga South Brisbane 40 (W & L)

So many variables in this race. If Caloundra slip up and lose their two harder games then they will miss but I can see them beating Springwood for some reason. They seemed to finish the game off with no bench. Perhaps Coops beat them this weekend and they will clinch a final spot. If Springwood lose both games then they will probably miss! Will Maroochydore rest players in the last round against Yeronga (who nearly beat them earlier in the year) and even it right up. The way Mayne are looking they could actually lose to Burleigh. Noosa wont be resting anyone against them in the last round either meaning thats curtains well and truly.

Yeah what a great comp up there almost finals starting two weeks out for half a dozen sides.i know my mates up at Noosa rate Caloundra as being very dangerous especially at full strength although they also reckon Springwood a massive threat.should b ripper finals series much more even than comp I'm playing with Sorrento 10 goals at least (when at full strength) than everyone,a bit like the Albury situation.

Lost Faulkner (i would assume for sure this time) which takes away 40-50 odd goals. McLean next best with 24 last year and from memory he is a midfielder. Really tough to find another 40-50 and for a midfielder to kick that amount again I would say.

Roo's
Mayne
Bond
Coops
UQ
Puma's
Caloundra
Yeronga
Noosa
Burleigh

Gone very early without seeing a game but who knows!

Just found this from very early on. The dangers of tipping too early. Noosa 9th, Bond 3rd are the stand outs.

Even Burleigh bottom, won't get past 8th but won 5 games and more than capable of winning another this weekend. Very decent for 3rd bottom. And UQ would have to be the best 9th placed side for a long while. Think there is a fair gap bn this comp and div 2 right now.

Div 1: the comp that keeps on giving!

What a situation. With four clubs all on 9 wins leading into Round 17, a win for any of them would enhance their chances of claiming the final two spots in the finals.

So what happens? All four lose.

Remarkably, the wins for last week came from 1st (Noosa), 2nd (Maroochydore), 3rd (Springwood), 8th (Burleigh), & 9th (UQ). So Caloundra, Coorparoo, Mayne, & Yeronga go through it all again this week.

Win or lose, the Top Three can not change - will that have an impact on the final fixtures of the season?

Coorparoo V Burleigh: the Bombers have improved greatly, but still expecting the Kings to win at the Castle.
Noosa V Mayne: the Tigers to win (Noosa, I mean). Mayne seem to be in a world of hurt right now, which is unfortunate, for at their best, they would challenge everyone.
Springwood V Caloundra: probably the match of the round. Caloundra will be hellbent on a win, whilst the Pumas have been successful, yet unpredictable throughout the year. Personally, I still find it tough to look past Springwood in this one - but who knows?
Yeronga V Maroochydore - the Devils have been like a different team at Home this year. And Maroochydore has nothing to gain position-wise from this match (albeit why mess with winning form). Could Yeronga sneak an unexpected win?
UQ V Bond Uni - season over for both teams with a Red Lions victory. An unfortunate season for both clubs - but one will finish on a relative high.

Hypothetical: all four clubs, from 4th to 7th, could lose again this week, meaning Caloundra & Coorparoo reach the finals courtesy of a respective two-game and three-game losing streak. (I dont think that will happen - but its possible.)

Intriguing finish coming up this Saturday.

Div 1: the comp that keeps on giving!

What a situation. With four clubs all on 9 wins leading into Round 17, a win for any of them would enhance their chances of claiming the final two spots in the finals.

So what happens? All four lose.

Remarkably, the wins for last week came from 1st (Noosa), 2nd (Maroochydore), 3rd (Springwood), 8th (Burleigh), & 9th (UQ). So Caloundra, Coorparoo, Mayne, & Yeronga go through it all again this week.

Win or lose, the Top Three can not change - will that have an impact on the final fixtures of the season?

Coorparoo V Burleigh: the Bombers have improved greatly, but still expecting the Kings to win at the Castle.
Noosa V Mayne: the Tigers to win (Noosa, I mean). Mayne seem to be in a world of hurt right now, which is unfortunate, for at their best, they would challenge everyone.
Springwood V Caloundra: probably the match of the round. Caloundra will be hellbent on a win, whilst the Pumas have been successful, yet unpredictable throughout the year. Personally, I still find it tough to look past Springwood in this one - but who knows?
Yeronga V Maroochydore - the Devils have been like a different team at Home this year. And Maroochydore has nothing to gain position-wise from this match (albeit why mess with winning form). Could Yeronga sneak an unexpected win?
UQ V Bond Uni - season over for both teams with a Red Lions victory. An unfortunate season for both clubs - but one will finish on a relative high.

Hypothetical: all four clubs, from 4th to 7th, could lose again this week, meaning Caloundra & Coorparoo reach the finals courtesy of a respective two-game and three-game losing streak. (I dont think that will happen - but its possible.)

Intriguing finish coming up this Saturday.

Yep, fascinating finish this weekend. It could come down to how the top 3 teams treat the last game and how much importance they put on their respective reserves teams. All 3 teams could quite feasibly rest a few players, with nothing to gain or lose ladder wise in the seniors. Noosa maybe less likely to rest too many as they have a week off the week after, but you never know. With Maroochy ressies also unmovable (and a week off the following week) they may bring a different side down to Yeronga than the one that will run out in two weeks time against Springwood. Pumas ressies are just hanging on and probably must win Saturday so maybe a different tack from them, who knows? Much intrigue and plenty to discuss around the various selection tables. No doubt all four sides 4-7 will have someone monitoring live scoring of other games during the afternoon.

I completely overlooked any consideration of the Reserves race for the finals. It certainly could have an impact.

I'm finding it extraordinary that all four teams from 4th to 7th could potentially each lose their final two fixtures, and two of them still get to play finals. And if that did happen, whichever two made it (most likely Caloundra & Coorparoo), either team (but obviously not both) could cause damage in the finals.

I don't think this scenario will eventuate - but I struggle to recall a similar end to a season.

A remarkable weekend last weekend re results and it sets up an intriguing finish. Toucan has set out all the scenarios with all of them not unrealistic.
Has been as even season as I can remember in any comp that I can think of tbh. Aside from bond, who it cannot be argued should have ever been anywhere but this division based on last years results, teams 1-9 have been capable of being within a kick of each other on any given day. The finals series, whatever the make up, should be very interesting and may come down to 2 factors; injuries and home ground advantage ( in the early weeks anyway).
I think the other factor will be how well each teams top players go. Maroochy have had a gun in Ainsworth walk back into the footy club a month ago and if bevan can stay fit and available then they will be tough to stop imo, Noosa has been best side all year, pumas with certain blokes back will be very dangerous, coorparoo won't give up their premiers mantle easily, Caloundra can compete with any side with their best group going around, yeronga will deserve to be there if they roll the Roos at home this weekend and Mayne looks like the season is slowing down for them with a 0-3 record in last 3 weeks but who could discount the best side in the comp for the past 3 years?
Great comp.

Last edited:
As has been spoken about this comp has been an outstanding success. Unfortunately it would seem the AFLQ don't rate it a good enough competition to give the best possible service to the clubs playing finals in relation to umpires. Upon speaking to an old team mate who has contacts within the umpires I find it absolutely disgusting that AFLQ have decided that this competition (along with every other competition) are undeserving of having 3 filed umpires to control these finals. This includes all Grand Finals. So even though there are many other comps in Qld (EG Cairns) who get 3 field umpires appointed AFLQ have deemed that 2 field umpires is sufficient even though there will be decent umpires who miss the opportunity of finals because AFLQ are living in the 70s and refuse to give the best and most appropriate service to the clubs

The standard of this competition is the best it's been in years and the finals series will be fast paced and more than deserving of 3 field umpires to ensure the best quality umpiring is supplied to the clubs. It is well known that having 3 filed umpires should allow for better decision making (hopefully) and the ability to pick up off the ball incidents. As an old timer who has been through the transition of 1 umpire to 2 then to 3 (and even 4 now in the AFL during the bye weeks) I believe blind freddy can see that this competition (if not all senior grade) should have 3 field umpires appointed

So if your club in good enough and lucky enough to compete in finals and grand finals and there is a dodgy decision or 2 which may have an impact on the result don't go blaming the umpires because AFLQ are not giving the best level of service available to the clubs

I wonder what the umpires think??

I don't profess to know how umpires are trained but would it not potentially cause more problems if all of a sudden they go to 3 umpires for finals and umpires who may have never umpired in a 3 umpire system have all their instinctive positioning thrown out, having to concentrate more on where they are running and potentially less on the game?

Would think all clubs want with umpiring is consistency and not sure going from 2 to 3 helps that?

I don't profess to know how umpires are trained but would it not potentially cause more problems if all of a sudden they go to 3 umpires for finals and umpires who may have never umpired in a 3 umpire system have all their instinctive positioning thrown out, having to concentrate more on where they are running and potentially less on the game?

Would think all clubs want with umpiring is consistency and not sure going from 2 to 3 helps that?
True Lenny, also not sure that the umpiring has been that bad in Division 1 this year. I obviously can only comment on games that I've seen and whilst there have been a couple of umpires here and there that possibly need more training (trying to say it positively) the overall standard is leaps and bounds above what we got the last couple of seasons in QFA South. I think if the AFLQ get it right, and fingers crossed they do, and have the 2 best available umpires officiating then I think all will be ok.

As has been spoken about this comp has been an outstanding success. Unfortunately it would seem the AFLQ don't rate it a good enough competition to give the best possible service to the clubs playing finals in relation to umpires. Upon speaking to an old team mate who has contacts within the umpires I find it absolutely disgusting that AFLQ have decided that this competition (along with every other competition) are undeserving of having 3 filed umpires to control these finals. This includes all Grand Finals. So even though there are many other comps in Qld (EG Cairns) who get 3 field umpires appointed AFLQ have deemed that 2 field umpires is sufficient even though there will be decent umpires who miss the opportunity of finals because AFLQ are living in the 70s and refuse to give the best and most appropriate service to the clubs

The standard of this competition is the best it's been in years and the finals series will be fast paced and more than deserving of 3 field umpires to ensure the best quality umpiring is supplied to the clubs. It is well known that having 3 filed umpires should allow for better decision making (hopefully) and the ability to pick up off the ball incidents. As an old timer who has been through the transition of 1 umpire to 2 then to 3 (and even 4 now in the AFL during the bye weeks) I believe blind freddy can see that this competition (if not all senior grade) should have 3 field umpires appointed

So if your club in good enough and lucky enough to compete in finals and grand finals and there is a dodgy decision or 2 which may have an impact on the result don't go blaming the umpires because AFLQ are not giving the best level of service available to the clubs

I wonder what the umpires think??
Best
True Lenny, also not sure that the umpiring has been that bad in Division 1 this year. I obviously can only comment on games that I've seen and whilst there have been a couple of umpires here and there that possibly need more training (trying to say it positively) the overall standard is leaps and bounds above what we got the last couple of seasons in QFA South. I think if the AFLQ get it right, and fingers crossed they do, and have the 2 best available umpires officiating then I think all will be ok.
best comp since the pineapple hotel cup imo.those games involving palmy,the magpies and later on Sandgate were just outstanding and right up there with most strong country Victorian regions.i think two field umpires sufficient for finals at this stage however as mentioned heaps the evenness of this comp is amazing.and I know that Noosa will be fielding there best 22 this weekend with four coming back and 4 to go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best

best comp since the pineapple hotel cup imo.those games involving palmy,the magpies and later on Sandgate were just outstanding and right up there with most strong country Victorian regions.i think two field umpires sufficient for finals at this stage however as mentioned heaps the evenness of this comp is amazing.and I know that Noosa will be fielding there best 22 this weekend with four coming back and 4 to go

Think you might mean Springwood, not Sandgate (Pumas v PBC in the last Pineapple Cup GF in 2013) but I hear what you are saying, very true. Noosa with a week off next weekend not unexpectedly at full strength this week. Interesting to see the teams tomorrow.

Think you might mean Springwood, not Sandgate (Pumas v PBC in the last Pineapple Cup GF in 2013) but I hear what you are saying, very true. Noosa with a week off next weekend not unexpectedly at full strength this week. Interesting to see the teams tomorrow.

Sandgate played finals from 09-11, including a gf and a preliminary final and were a very good side. Springwood in that period were ordinary

Yes guys I can see both sides of the argument and agree that all we can hope for is consistency across the board from the umpire whether it's 2 or 3 of them. The games I have been able to see have been pretty good I just thought that in previous years (Including the PHC days) that finals usually meant 3 umpires even though there were only 2 during the H&A. I was just trying to make the point that this competition is very strong and deserves the best officials available. Overall as has been said let's hope the best 2 umpires are out there and they don't have a bearing on the results. Here's to a cracking last round and finals series

11 was the infamous Noosa v PBC game where Obrien was suspended etc wasn't it?
Yes that was 2011 at mdore where Peter Trompf instigated a total palmy meltdown 2010 was Noosa v Sandgate at Wilson grange just a cracking game and atmosphere.see Noosa dropped premiership duo Wallace and duke last night and brought in faure,Trompf and isles.

Interesting to see a UQ player top of the goal kicking for the comp. good on him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fantastic effort. Was said in the div 2 thread by the Aspley coach that both Aspley and Moreton bay would knock over a few of the div 1 teams. I would suggest that outside of bond, neither would get within 10 goals of UQ or Burleigh.

3 Springwood 42 (Coops & Caloundra)
4 Caloundra AFC 36 (Maroochy & Springwood)
5 Coorparoo 36 (Springwood & Burleigh)
6 Mayne AFC 36 (Burleigh & Noosa)
7 Yeronga South Brisbane 36 (UQ & Maroochy)

How I reckon it'll finish

3 Springwood 46 (W & L)
4 Caloundra AFC 40 (L & W)
5 Coorparoo 40 (L & W)
6 Mayne AFC 40 (W & L)
7 Yeronga South Brisbane 40 (W & L)

So many variables in this race. If Caloundra slip up and lose their two harder games then they will miss but I can see them beating Springwood for some reason. They seemed to finish the game off with no bench. Perhaps Coops beat them this weekend and they will clinch a final spot. If Springwood lose both games then they will probably miss! Will Maroochydore rest players in the last round against Yeronga (who nearly beat them earlier in the year) and even it right up. The way Mayne are looking they could actually lose to Burleigh. Noosa wont be resting anyone against them in the last round either meaning thats curtains well and truly.

Not a bad prediction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back