Autopsy Season 2017 - "St Kilda v Melbourne Rd 21 2017"

Remove this Banner Ad

I seriously think we should target Sydney's recruiter or the Dogs. Champion data showed they hardly ever **** up a pick. We were on the very poor side which not all was Trout's fault because over the last 7 years we hardly kept anyone we traded in. We have 13 players that were here before Richo and at least 3 will go and at least 3 would be lucky to still be on our list and are contracted. Of those left Armo, Steven, Newnes, Geary, Webster, Ross only Steven is A grade and Armo was for one year. Ross getting close. We have one of the worst recruiting records in the AFL since Thommo left.
Sydney are incredible.

Have to admire the players they've developed from late/rookie picks.

You were beating yourself.

Exactly.

We just have way too many poorly skilled players that even give it back to opposition or who do f*** all with it.

About five or six drafts back the club announced that as part of our rebuild that we would target disposal skills. Well WTF happened as clearly in the mainly we continually recruit poor users of the ball.

Billy Longer had a great game. Credit to him. Won convincingly against the best ruck in the league who has bounced back into some great form the last few weeks. Solid effort.

No Dempster and Armo all year, Riewoldt and Montagna gone.

Transition year. If we'd had all of those guys fit for the year we probably play finals.
Them guys are cooked though.

We ran out of legs having played a man down for most of the game disappointing but was glad to see us get back in it.

We need a line breaker out of defense and another player who can take contested marks out of defense.

Richo needs to get Longer in the middle at big moments or play Marshall so many times this year teams got quick goals while Longer was on the bench against the flow.

Need a tactical advisor in the box we constantly let players go hot and kill us before putting someone on them.

Weller has sat just above list clogger for a couple years always managing to lift his game but I would take him out of the leadership group and give him the talk that Membrey got 2 years ago and start him in the VFL.

Bruce I want to believe he can get it back together but he's just a little above having Cloke right now.

Steven not the same after the lung puncture needs a break I hope.

Gresham 2nd year blues not worried.

Longer solid ruck, good at creating space has improved his defensive work. Dees tried to 1v1 him in their forwardline but he was too good needs to develop his marking to give us another option.

Billings is straight kicking away from being a GOAT.

Dunstan maybe coming good glad he didn't go into his shell after a poor start.

Newnes out of the leadership group take the pressure off him was better last year.

Acres needs to work harder did good things but needs run and present as a marking option through the middle.

We have to go hard as f for Lever so we can utilise Carlisle forward.

Jordan Lewis was really important for Melbourne this year maybe we missed a trick not grabbing him.

Disappointed we lost but felt we would miss finals from the moment we lost the Eagles game hopefully the players learn from this year.

Exactly.

We just have way too many poorly skilled players that even give it back to opposition or who do f*** all with it.

About five or six drafts back the club announced that as part of our rebuild that we would target disposal skills. Well WTF happened as clearly in the mainly we continually recruit poor users of the ball.
As I've said before, we've got the sponge, just need the cream.

Run & carry classy types who are ruthless.

Billy Longer had a great game. Credit to him. Won convincingly against the best ruck in the league who has bounced back into some great form the last few weeks. Solid effort.

Them guys are cooked though.
Yeah, but we didn't think they were going into the year.

It's seen younger players have more responsibility and not a whole lot of experienced leadership on the field.

Hurt us this year, but hopefully it will be for the best long-term.

Whats worse is Hawthorn can jump us. Fat lot of good that pick will do.

Yep, we got excited about that trade like we found cheese close to use by on sale and came home with 40kg of it. We have two picks in an ordinary draft where last year we would have already had a Jai Simpkin or Shai Bolton using their zip and already a year into development. Berry, Powell- Pepper, Witherden and Hayward all there after our pick. All shown signs. Witherden looks like a superstar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longer played well I thought without looking at the stats

Sinclair, Steele put up the fight in the 2nd.

Gilbert BOG

Dunstan 3rd was really good

Membrey and Ross are going to have a hard review. Ross had the worst play of footy I've ever seen him produce in the 4th.

But I'm confident it was out of character for Ross and membrey

Ross was a liability all game. He turned over the ball like he was throwing the match.

If you are an elite player you have elite finishing skills.

Jack Billings could have won that game for us today. Missed 4 very gettable shots.

The version of Billings we see this year is well short of elite due almost entirely to finishing skills. Needs a big summer.
100%. I don't expect him to kick every single goal but 20.32 is unacceptable. His work around the ground is elite (9 marks today) but he is straight up losing us games up forward.

Positives:

- Billings just about our best player today even though he couldn't see out of one eye, says it all really. Missed shots on goal as usual but willing to cut him a little bit of slack today given what I'm sure was some vision issues affecting him. But gee whiz he should've kicked 40 goals this year and he's only got 20, fix that up and he's a superstar.
- Longer>>>Hickey. The debate is officially over. He got the better of Gawn in the ruck today big time, and 15 contested disposals as well FMD. Move Hickey on and the end of this season if we can get anything half decent for him.
- Dunstan with another very good game in what has been a hopefully career defining last month. Butchered it in the 1st quarter (who didn't) but came back strong and was one of the main reasons we got back in it.
- Where would we be without big Jake Carlisle. He's just been awesome.
- Sinclair and Steele very good again, those two are going to have great careers at the Saints. Two of our best this year.
- Robbo is Mr Reliable down back, not sure if he's had a bad game all year. Get him signed up.
- Gilbert and Geary aren't the most skilled players but gee they have a crack every week. Gilbert has been much better than he has been in recent years, and with the Roo/Joey (surely) as well as Dempster/Fisher all retiring in the last 12 months we need to keep Gilbo on for next year. Geary did a very good job on Garlett.

Negatives:

- Our skills and decision making in that first half were seriously the worst I've ever seen from an AFL team in the modern era. A bush league reserves side full of old fat hungover blokes would've been embarrassed to dish that up.
- Gresham was awful and IMO the reason we didn't hit the lead in the 3rd quarter when we had all the play. In that quarter alone he badly missed two very kickable set shots and butchered it twice going forward in general play by going for kicks he isn't good enough to pull off. He's a gun for sure but a frustrating one.
- Ross will surely win our B+F, and rightfully so, but his two worst games of the year have both came against Melbourne. Very disappointing today.
- Steven has played 2 good quarters in the last two whole games, and coincidentally when he's been up in those quarters he's lifted the team with him. If only he could do it for whole games like he was last year. Surely carrying an injury but regardless has had a very disappointing season. Get fully fit and back to your best next year please Jack.
- Bruce has moments where he looks like a star, and then others where he looks like a total spud. In reality he's somewhere in between, a solid key forward who can get you a couple of goals a game on average but not someone you build your forward line around. Zero composure, how many times has he f***** up a sure goal this year. We badly need Paddy to get right and make it.
- Made spuds like Harmes and Pedersen look like world beaters.

Yup frustrating season but where I thought we would be.

Transition year. Our development is coming on. Next year we will be one of the youngest teams in the league.
Dunstan, Acres, Steele,Ross, Gresh can all and will improve.

We have blokes like White, Robbo and Webster still improving.

We have guys like Freeman yet to play a game.
So much development to come despite what some ignorant people say.

And it depends if we can land some quality.

If we get this quality and lets face it, we need it. We have to make finals in 2018 or Richo needs to go.
Simple as that really.

No excuses in 2018.
None.

You say we will be one of the youngest in the league but no excuses? Robbo is not going to improve any further and not even signed. If we have injuries to any key personal I don't think we can make finals. I reckon even with Kelly we won't make finals unless we have a lot go right.

Our leaders need to take responsibility.
When it comes to the crunch and things dont go your way like in the first. Its the leaders of the club (Steven, Stevens, Geary, Newnes, Ross, Gilbert) (Weller! Ffs!) that need to step the up and take hold of the situation. And they didnt! Like usual.
Thats the difference Lenny Hayes used to bring or a Brendan Goddard or NDS.
When are we going to see some real leadership from these players? Why does it take Steven until were 6 goals down and out of the game to start turning it up.

100%. I don't expect him to kick every single goal but 20.32 is unacceptable. His work around the ground is elite (9 marks today) but he is straight up losing us games up forward.
with his marking ability and foot skills you would give him 1 more season to get his goal kicking right and if he fails not move him to half back.
Flip the numbers and he would be AA and really should be has missed so many gettable goals this year

Not angry or even disappointed. We just don't deserve to get to the big dance this year.

Out of today, Carlisle was massive for mine. While virtually everyone else had multiple clangers, s**t decisions and just general awfulness, the one that stands out was he. Was at the game and can't think of a single time he did the wrong thing. Unfortunately right at the moment if I was him I'd be thinking 'This club is f**ked' and would be looking for a few rails to dull the pain. Wouldn't blame him a bit for it. A top 5 B&F finish in his first proper season at the club?

Going forward - to some extent you can't coach on field decision making and composure so I don't see what going off on Richo will do for our fortunes. The core of the group is young so hopefully some natural improvement comes into play.

Only other positive is Brandon White - I cannot believe he's <5 games, imagine what he'll be like with 50 games, never mind 100.

Also I luuuurve me some Brucey but his clanger highlight reel for the year will surely be the worst in the league. I'd like to see him and Carlisle constantly swung between back and forward to play with matchups. Bruce shouldn't have a permanent forward spot, he's just not up to it.

What was the deal with Billings' eye? I must have missed that too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back