Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given the number of players that are likely to be delisted prior to the 2017 draft, if Freo do use pick #5 on a KPF, and given Freo have no 2nd round pick, where do people think Freo are going to get the rest of the replacement players they need ... via 3rd,4th & 5th round picks and rookies?
Sorry, but people are kidding themselves if they think Freo are going to use pick #5 without trading down.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
If he is available it has to be Brander!

There are no ifs and buts about this in my mind. We need a monster!
I am a massive Brander fan, but he is no monster. Based on what I have seen, Jack Riewoldt might be the best comparison (but certainly not perfect).

I think we have 2 options
1 Freo keep 5 and get Brander
or
2 Freo trade pick 5, Balic or Weller and 3rd rounder to St Kilda for their 1st round pick and the 1st round pick they receive from the Hawks this year. Based on the ladder predictor and assumed results this could be picks 7 and 8 which would provide the options we need for Naughton plus a pick to trade if required
I am not sure how trading out Weller (a fast mid/for/def who is also a good kick) for ANOTHER KPD is good business. I would much rather just keep Weller and pick 5. Take Stephenson, Fogarty or whoever if we don't rate Brander or if he is not available.

Our list position at the moment could use an early twenties key forward more than an 18 year old prospective tall.

The list of available options for that aren't very long though.

Speedy long kicking left footer would be nice too.
We might as well say we could use the second coming of Carey or Pav.

I hope goal kicking mids are high on the priorities list as well.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given the number of players that are likely to be delisted prior to the 2017 draft, if Freo do use pick #5 on a KPF, and given Freo have no 2nd round pick, where do people think Freo are going to get the rest of the replacement players they need ... via 3rd,4th & 5th round picks and rookies?
Sorry, but people are kidding themselves if they think Freo are going to use pick #5 without trading down.
We are missing ONE 2nd round pick which we already used to get Darcy (****ing good business if you ask me). Why are we suddenly doomed to not be able to fill our list? A touch over the top, don't you think?

It takes 3-4 years to rebuild an old list. It doesn't all have to happen this year and frankly it won't. We will keep on several players that most here want cut. There is no need to panic and start trading probably the last or second last top 5 pick we will see for a while because we don't have a second rounder. That makes no sense.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
We are missing ONE 2nd round pick which we already used to get Darcy (****ing good business if you ask me). Why are we suddenly doomed to not be able to fill our list? A touch over the top, don't you think?

It takes 3-4 years to rebuild an old list. It doesn't all have to happen this year and frankly it won't. We will keep on several players that most here want cut. There is no need to panic and start trading probably the last or second last top 5 pick we will see for a while because we don't have a second rounder. That makes no sense.

Actually, it makes perfect sense when you can use your first round pick to trade in a player plus get a 2nd round pick or trade it for 2 or more picks.

Last year Freo had a cleaning out. 10 players left the list. Freo were able to replace those delisted by using their first round pick (#3) to trade, bringing in McCarthy and picks #7, #34 & #72. That together with other trades gave Freo 5 extra picks. In 2017 Freo will likely delist another 8 or more players. I don't think they will be getting many picks in return for those players leaving. Freo will have a far greater need for a quantity of picks rather than high picks.

Time will tell.

apuchar

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
We might do another 2nd round swap with our second rounder next year to get into the second round this year. Freo like to start development as soon as possible. Depends on what we need for Carter next year and whether there is anything worth getting in the 2nd round this year

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Actually, it makes perfect sense when you can use your first round pick to trade in a player plus get a 2nd round pick or trade it for 2 or more picks.

Last year Freo had a cleaning out. 10 players left the list. Freo were able to replace those delisted by using their first round pick (#3) to trade, bringing in McCarthy and picks #7, #34 & #72. That together with other trades gave Freo 5 extra picks. In 2017 Freo will likely delist another 8 or more players. I don't think they will be getting many picks in return for those players leaving. Freo will have a far greater need for a quantity of picks rather than high picks.

Time will tell.
It only makes sense if you think those two players have more impact than the one top 5 pick. I would much prefer the chance at the better player than settling for two likely lesser players. Do you think Melbourne would swap Salem and Tyson back for Josh Kelly? I suspect they might if given the opportunity.

The hit rates on top 5 picks these days are good and continue to be much better than pick 15-20. We need more elite talent and this may be one of our last couple of chances at it. Absolute no brainer for me.

Last year appears to be good business but the three key differences are:
- We effectively got Cam for free because he sat out a whole year. That is clearly not repeatable. That GWS deal was massively in our favour because they wanted to get to McGrath/Taranto
- We kept another top 10 pick
- If you believe what our recruiters said, they would have taken Logue at 3 anyway.

We would be very lucky to get such good deals this summer. If we can, then I am happy to do something similar. Essential that we keep a pick in the top 8-10 though.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't totally disregard Sam Hayes and watching Ben Brown dominate up forward today (even though the umps are giving a helping hand) makes me think if Hayes performs well in the combine testing he should be considered.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I can't totally disregard Sam Hayes and watching Ben Brown dominate up forward today (even though the umps are giving a helping hand) makes me think if Hayes performs well in the combine testing he should be considered.
Yeah agree. He is one I think none of us would really rate but obviously the recruiters get a lot more looks at him than us.

Wouldn't be good news for Ape and Nads though...

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Will be very disappointed if freo get him .

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
It'd be lovely to have the luxury to be able to give him almost a full season of rehab to try and get him right but we're not in that position unfortunately.
Lets be honest apeness is nearly done. With Rookie list players able to play anytime next year more team will explore rookie list mature age or body players rather than use it on project player.

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Need to find more mature aged players, will be several that are in contention after combines. As for mids we have
Blakey, Weller, Walters, Langdon to consider.
Another Luke Ryan would be a better investment than Weller at HB.
Players associated with us, McGovern, Fasolo, Matera, plus Shai Bolton if the home sickness rumour is true, someone
Is on the cards.
Good bet we will turn pick 5 into more, and still get someone who slides.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Lets be honest apeness is nearly done. With Rookie list players able to play anytime next year more team will explore rookie list mature age or body players rather than use it on project player.

Yep, I can see him getting delisted either this year or next and then dominate for years at WAFL or VFL level.

Apr 27, 2006
Your Backyard
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just a tad favoured in our direction.
Just a tad.

Clearly its based on both Lever and McGovern wanting out and should that happen then Freo are in complete control. Earlier people said it was to much to offer pick 5 for McGovern and Adelaides first pick and now it's favoured to much in Freos favour, what else can happen, a future first round pick swap and McGovern to Freo?

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
we are going to. We'd to trade out some quality with currency. I reckon lock stock and two smoking barrels....

Back