List Mgmt. 2017 GC Draft/Trade Thread/FA - National Draft Pick 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we get Josh Thomas from the Pies? He's a goal kicking inside mid, not unlike Lyons. And he's a GC boy. Swap one of our second rounders for him?
Wasn't Josh Thomas a part of Gold Coast's TAC Cup team back in the day? Was there a fallout?

Wasn't Josh Thomas a part of Gold Coast's TAC Cup team back in the day? Was there a fallout?
Not familiar with the story but yeah, wanted to go in the draft due to not wanting to play in GC. Dayne Beams sorta situation I think? Hopefully he's come a bit around since it was nearly a decade ago.

Can we get Josh Thomas from the Pies? He's a goal kicking inside mid, not unlike Lyons. And he's a GC boy. Swap one of our second rounders for him?

Fair over pay - you could use a 2nd rd pick to get Brendan Ah Chee and Josh Thomas - both would be worth picks in the 40s IMO

Correction - Josh Thomas is an Unrestricted Free Agent. But Pies fans tells me an extension is on the cards for him. I hope we at least make the phone call.

If he's smart he will see the writing on the wall - the magpies have the deepest midfield in the comp. Only getting a game as Pendles, Greenwood, Wells and Varcoe are out. Plenty of opportunities back on the Coast...

It's a while ago now , but I'm pretty sure we wanted beams , Thomas , Dixon and smith to sit out there first year then join us , beams and Thomas took there chance in the draft while Dixon and smith sat out and joined us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's a while ago now , but I'm pretty sure we wanted beams , Thomas , Dixon and smith to sit out there first year then join us , beams and Thomas took there chance in the draft while Dixon and smith sat out and joined us.

Which makes sense. Dixon and Smith are talls another year to develop would have really helped them there always was less competition for them. Beams and Thomas would have been more ready for AFL. Can't blame the recruiting for that.

Whether it's Clayton, development or culture the reality is apart from May and Lynch none of our players have developed into stars.

Swallow, Matera, Prestia, Gorringe, OCockface, Martin, Day, Bennell, Garlett, Lonergan, AChee, Miller, KK the list goes on, none of these guys have developed into the players their draft position indicated. They can't all be duds so I lean more to the coaching / development team rather than the selections when I look at whose fault it is.

Clean the joint out

Whether it's Clayton, development or culture the reality is apart from May and Lynch none of our players have developed into stars.

Swallow, Matera, Prestia, Gorringe, OCockface, Martin, Day, Bennell, Garlett, Lonergan, AChee, Miller, KK the list goes on, none of these guys have developed into the players their draft position indicated. They can't all be duds so I lean more to the coaching / development team rather than the selections when I look at whose fault it is.

Clean the joint out
Swallow was brillant during the 2014 season then injuries killed him same with O'Maggot. They both devloped well but both suffered knee injuries that can happen to anyone.

Just hard to know the long term impact of below average facilities, high performance and medical.
Prevention of some of these injuries if they were fitter and stronger? Hard to know.

But I still remember the players talking about how JC and his staff had them on individual programs! That was only 2 off-seasons ago. Jeepers!

Only 1 thing we know for sure. Evidence is clear. Club stuffed up badly somewhere. Most probably everywhere.

Clean the joint out

Wow
Hard marker
Dave is a Club Champion (2014)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonergan?
Not worth anything of real value.

Evidence is clear. He is struggling to get a consistent game for the Suns. And when he does play he can't kick. Still young enough but not as young or promising as a draft pick.

Any trade would be for a pick worthless to the Suns or a swap for a similar player who is also struggling (best outcome for the Suns, who need mature bodies).

It's a bit weird because just about every draft we think Clayton has done well at the time, last year the general consensus was he absolutely nailed it, but then looking back in retrospect things haven't turned out as hoped. This has to come back to the development, the club culture and the players themselves. The fitness and conditioning of the players has also never been up to standard. JC had things looking much better earlier this year but our players both young and old still lack the resilience to last out a season, and we've ended up being pummelled again.

Agree with the lack of development part but am prepared to give them one more pre-season in the new facilities, which we didn't have access to until Feb. this year iirc. I'll be very disappointed next season if we continually get pushed off the ball as easily as this year, and if we also continue to have our tackles so easily broken...

Clean the joint out
they are the only two with any mongrel about them.

do you think there's a correlation there somewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back