Can AFL make a footprint in NZ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Canada lost by 5 goals to Nauru today, and that is roughly where I'd expect Canada to be. Nauru being a capable team (one of the best) who consistently sit just outside the top 4 (as much because of a lack of height as anything else), and I'd put Canada a rung or two below that.

Knowing how much effort Canada put into it's preparation I'm surprised that it couldn't improve it's position.

Agreed, they do put in a good effort, and have done really well to get a couple of decent leagues going, but the key difference with Nauru is that they play the game from when they are kids, and it shows, they move like natural footballers.

They miss out from having an extremely small population base and having no height, but they are the most natural looking footballers you will see outside of Australia.

And so does the R.S.A.

Well, that's the unknown. EVen the WFN has stated the last couple of years that it's unclear what has been happening in Sth Africa the last few years. There used to be a lot more visibility and a lot more news coming out of Sth Africa, and that has dried up a fair bit.

A 100+ pt drubbing to PNG suggests very strongly that Sth Africa has not been improving (and indeed, may be declining). Nine years ago they would not have suffered that sort of loss to anyone.

Well, that's the unknown. EVen the WFN has stated the last couple of years that it's unclear what has been happening in Sth Africa the last few years. There used to be a lot more visibility and a lot more news coming out of Sth Africa, and that has dried up a fair bit.

A 100+ pt drubbing to PNG suggests very strongly that Sth Africa has not been improving (and indeed, may be declining). Nine years ago they would not have suffered that sort of loss to anyone.
Did anyone talk to a rep for RSA while they were out here for #IC17 and ask how footywild is going or footy in general. That's how you would really find out

Did anyone talk to a rep for RSA while they were out here for #IC17 and ask how footywild is going or footy in general. That's how you would really find out

I remember when i was doing the rounds in 2012 looking for accurate information, South Africa were one of the few who didnt respond to either questions or interview requests.

I talked to a person on the Australian side of the R.S.A. team and he was amazed that people were reading so much into "no news".
From him and various other media snippets FootyWild is still a goer. He said the team wasn't faring so well on the scoreboard because they were missing some "talls" and that the standard of the competition had shot up yet again.
Funding still exists, the leagues all exists, however on the critical question of had there been any major changes he couldn't say.

This might be another example where a person in AFL house on the end of those proverbial "telephones" could give us a definitive answer.
I'm sure a world body would have a good grasp of the situation there. Maybe that is why the AFL don't want a world body because they might tell the situation as it is. Who knows.

I talked to a person on the Australian side of the R.S.A. team and he was amazed that people were reading so much into "no news".
From him and various other media snippets FootyWild is still a goer. He said the team wasn't faring so well on the scoreboard because they were missing some "talls" and that the standard of the competition had shot up yet again.
Funding still exists, the leagues all exists, however on the critical question of had there been any major changes he couldn't say.

This might be another example where a person in AFL house on the end of those proverbial "telephones" could give us a definitive answer.
I'm sure a world body would have a good grasp of the situation there. Maybe that is why the AFL don't want a world body because they might tell the situation as it is. Who knows.
This is what has happened in recent times with AFL South Africa media news.
They shut down their Website or it was closed for other unknown reasons.
They do not use Twitter or Facebook now, which are all free, and all acknowledged normal outlets for International Footy countries. Think about it these are free apps so why discontinue.
They now use apparently The Messenger app in Facebook, so there are lines of info available.
I do not use Facebook as such however there must be somebody on here who could check it out.
The "couldnt say bit" above is possibly a clue, and the natural extension to that in the negative is "wouldnt" say.

The "couldnt say bit" above is possibly a clue, and the natural extension to that in the negative is "wouldnt" say.

No, there just by words. He just didn't have any information to offer.

I do not use Facebook as such however there must be somebody on here who could check it out.

Somebody could. IMO it's not important unless something can be done with the information.

Could be a shake up in Kiwi Land with their Rugby Union coverage in the future.
Amazon Video have jumped on the ALL BLACKS wagon with a 8 part doco in the future on that team. They are hovering around the Media TV deals coming up in N.Z. for the domestic market and will be competing with long time holder Sky.
The E.P.L. is in their sights as well long term.
This has nothing to do with Australia BUT keep them in mind for the future.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11915194

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLNZ recently conducted various High School/College competitions in Auckland and Christchurch. They featured both Men/Boys and Womens/Girls sections.
These comps should be the feeder system for the AFLNZ Provincial Clubs, so the question is where do they go after they leave school.
The Senior Clubs in the various Provinces, which would normally be the backbone of the game do not appear to be expanding in number as such.
These same clubs provide the players for their AFLNZ 4 team Premiership held in Feb to April in Auckland after the Provincial comps shut down at Christmas. One measure of progress may be if the Premiership Comp was expanded to 6 teams or so, but would the standard drop off.
Our game has been in NZ this time around since 1974 and is still not grown like it should. It is a tough gig when Kiwis will tell you to your face Aussie Rules is not a proper sport.
http://aflnz.co.nz/blog/2017/11/28/2017-junior-afl-cup-unearths-new-aflnz-talent/

Our game long term internationally has bigger fish to fry in China and India with their huge populations.

AFLNZ recently conducted various High School/College competitions in Auckland and Christchurch. They featured both Men/Boys and Womens/Girls sections.
http://aflnz.co.nz/blog/2017/11/28/2017-junior-afl-cup-unearths-new-aflnz-talent/

Also http://aflnz.co.nz/blog/2017/11/29/2017-afl-cup-north-and-south-island-championship-results/
As in Sydney the major development is in school competitions.
Even in "traditional" football states the emphasis has been on school competitions rather than community competitions.

NZ, a tiny country at the assend of the world, dominates world rugby. Every boy grows up wanting to be an All Black.

I wouldn't take it to heart that they don't hold our game in the same light.
Yeah no worries its all good.

Massive potential to grow the game in NZ.

Does anyone know why there has been little growth in the Auckland comp since the 1970s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back