Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was ok in the St Kilda game but has struggled since. Time to give a kid a chance in his role.

The bottom line is we have to get him playing better as there are 6-8 guys older who should be chopped this and next year so he'll have to be backed in as much as possible as the list is bereft of guys any better.

The toll of the season after missing a year of footy is catching up to him imo. I back him to have massive pre season and kill it next year.

Would like to see him winning more of the ball before going out on a limb and saying he will kill it but i agree the missing a year may be catching up with a few players including Trav.

Travvy needs to go away over summer and work hard on his skills. He got them up to a good standard in 2014-15 and he desperately needs that to return.

And if there is something physically not right that is preventing him reaching top pace, get it addressed.

Someone pass this on to efc. Trav needs to take up juggling training. Juggling 4/5 balls/clubs can learned within months and completely rewires the brains hand eye coordination. It's been scientifically shown to effect the brains functioning even when it comes mathematics etc.

Travvy needs to go away over summer and work hard on his skills. He got them up to a good standard in 2014-15 and he desperately needs that to return.

And if there is something physically not right that is preventing him reaching top pace, get it addressed.

If his biggest problem by round 1 next year is skill he'll be doing well. His work rate is the problem and his attack on the ball and ability to stay in a contest (though the latter issues have improved).

Running bounces chase down tackles, even just tackling generally, will be the indication that he is working hard enough.

He might have okay GPS data but there is little about the way he plays or the impact he has that indicates that he works hard enough. Someone like Stanton, for example, with his flaws (perceived or real) could at least point to the 30 possession that he got each week.

Last edited:

EXACTLY.

FWIW, does anyone know how many tackles he's laid this year? Defensive efforts? 1%'s?
Not many I'm guessing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EXACTLY.

FWIW, does anyone know how many tackles he's laid this year? Defensive efforts? 1%'s?
Not many I'm guessing.
3 tackles/game, 1 1%er a game

Yes Trav looks to be running on empty and definitely needs some time in the twos, needed to go back a few weeks ago to be honest, but it's worth noting that before this season he had never played more than 12 games in a season. So compound that with the year off and it has been a great result to reach 20 this year and it will hopefully do him a world of good going forward.

Yes Trav looks to be running on empty and definitely needs some time in the twos, needed to go back a few weeks ago to be honest, but it's worth noting that before this season he had never played more than 12 games in a season. So compound that with the year off and it has been a great result to reach 20 this year and it will hopefully do him a world of good going forward.
Wow.

I can't see where the improvement comes from with Trav & I really struggle to see where he fits in with our best team.

I'd have another genuine mid in rather than him, don't feel like he has a position that he plays well.

Also, this is not really an issue, every other club does it and take the bulldogs this year, a lot of players went to and from the VFL, often it's just normal..

Players shouldn't feel bad for being omitted or rested, it's just a part of the game.

Essendon are one of the few teams that don't do it enough and so when they do drop players not at their best then becomes a shock to some people, but really, it's pretty normal to do it across the competition. Reward players doing their best and allow struggling players to recoup. In fact the rational players would admit that "something isn't going right", "let's address it with a new training program"..etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back