Mega Thread The 2017 'Buckley's Chances' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the decision has been made to extend his contract why not announce it?

Are they going to hold off until the memberships roll over?

They know deep down it's not the right decision, I bet they will announce something just before a preliminary final.

Early on in the year Pies had the best injury run we have seen in many years, dead set how anyone can still make this excuse is beyond me.
Conveniently forgotten by the believers.

I'm sure there was a different excuse back then. And there will be more excuses in the future from them when he inevitably fails if he undeservingly gets reappointed again.

I bet a decision or announcement won't be made on Tuesday

Agree - there's a process to go through (even for the Emperor). Walsh and Murphy will either table or present (there's a difference) their respective reports. The Board needs to consider key recommendations and reach a decision on a few things inc Buckley's future. If the reports are useful there will be a bit to digest. Both reports need to be considered - they may not make a decision on Buckley solely on what's in Walsh's report. Highly unlikely Ed will announce anything until at least after the final H&A game.

If the decision has been made to extend his contract why not announce it?

Are they going to hold off until the memberships roll over?

They know deep down it's not the right decision, I bet they will announce something just before a preliminary final.

BEEG answered the above question perfectly.

He just slowly watched us lose today. Didn't man up Geelong's extra defender even when we needed to try win the game, another game that could have gone our way with a better coach. He has no plan B when plan A is shut down.
I didn't see the game so you'll have to help me out.
The +1 is an interesting one because it isn't only used as a defensive strategy. He should be the best user and reader of the play. Teams try to get the ball into his hands when trying to come out of defence because ideally, he should have the least pressure on him and has the little extra time to dispose of it well.
If the opposition are dominating possession for an extended period, coaches will leave the +1 and use him to try to counter. That's the usual scenario. If you're dominating possession, you man up their +1 and hope he gets made accountable so unable to intercept or get free to cause damage going the other way. Why would you leave a player on his own in your forward line if you are constantly going forward? That's the question coaches ask.
Roos' comments yesterday are interesting. A couple of years ago, he said manning up the +1 was pointless if opposition really want one. This is because they'll continue to try to create that free player and you end up with a crowded forward line.
So after all of that, were we dominating possession or trying to dominate possession when the game was there to be won? What was the state of the game in the last quarter?

In part this language reflects supporters' frustration over 6 years of on field decline as well as being a response to the Emperor's smooth talking spin

I get the frustration and I'm no fan of Ed.

But using catastrophic language when discussing our position which, sadly, is not that uncommon when it comes to footy clubs - I think it's unnecessarily emotive when we need cool and clear headed thinking and insights. Not constant 'end of the world' scenarios.

I don't know what the club is thinking at the moment. The speculation of Buckley's future was quelled in the short-term when Pert announced that Buckley would remain senior coach for the remainder of the year, but beyond that no one is sure of what the club is planning to do.

Eddie has asserted that the decision won't be made based on the performances that we've produced after the Essendon match when the rumours of Buckley's immediate coaching future were extinguished for the short-term. If Eddie is being truthful, then the club will obviously assess what we've produced this year and potentially assess his coaching performances from previous years and whether this has satisfied the expectations of the club internally.

The club has made noises about pushing for the finals in the last few years, which I always thought was somewhat unrealistic, especially in 2014 and 2015 when a rebuild of some sorts was being undertaken, but I wonder whether they truly expected us to be pushing for the 8 in these years or whether this was a way to convince supporters to renew or sign up for their memberships. If these expectations were being espoused both internally and externally, then Buckley has clearly fallen short of that mark and it would be difficult to mount an argument to extend his contract.

However, my gut feeling for a while has been that he would remain senior coach beyond this year, but a significant shake up of the football department and assistant coaches would occur, similar to what we saw with Richmond last year, but maybe it will not eventuate that way however. I feel that if Buckley was on the verge of not being renewed as coach, then the media would have started speculating about his demise already, which hasn't been apparent recently.

I don't think he's been a bad coach this year and he's been gradually improving from year to year as he attains more experience as a senior coach, but fundamentally the same issues under him have continued to rear their ugly head in relation to the game plan and he hasn't delivered on results. We've been having these debates dating back to 2014/2015 and I suspect if most thought we'd been here two or three years later stagnating and showing little progression in terms of wins and losses, then most would have understood that the potential for him to depart is very likely.

I just hope that when the club makes this important decision that it makes the right one, rather than the popular one, because any further setbacks from here could lead to a wasted decade for the club, similar to what we saw in the mid to late 90s. Arguably, we've lost about half a decade under this current system, and further setbacks beyond this year would be harmful for the club, so the club has reached the crossroads here and now is required to make an informed decision. Either back the coach and give him everything you afford to give him, or move him on and start again.

I don't think the club can endure another situation of another one-year extension where the speculation on the coach's future becomes endless once again this time next year, so if Buckley is extended, I think it needs to be at least two years.

Whatever happens, I will continue supporting the club with my membership, as no specific individual defines my love and passion for the football club, but it shouldn't necessarily be construed as an implicit endorsement of how the club is operating both on and off the field.

I've waffled on a bit now, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible in a time where emotions are running high on this issue.

Your post really sums up well how I have been feeling. I would add that my attendance at games is not an endorsement of the current system either.

I also don't equate being articulate in the media with being a good senior coach. The fact the football media do so frustrates me no end.

I suspect the problem may be that he is not a terrible coach but an ordinary one who presents well to certain audiences. I fear we will languish as an ordinary mid table team with a mediocre coach and game plan because he does good press conferences.

The Board needs to understand that we need to be sold hope as the continuing decline has impacted this. A new coaching panel and list management leadership are required.

Buckley should be assessed objectively on his performance which should include absence of on-field success, the impact of decisions on personnel who have left and selection for games.
The holes in the list are primarily the responsibility of the List Manager who has a say in who comes to the club with the list management committee also having input. Those who leave the club, however, appear to be impacted more by the senior coach. The Heath Shaw and Dayne Beams debacles which come down to People management issues.

If he is extended, Ed runs a big personal risk in my view of a backlash against him from the supporter base as the decision maker. The smart thing to do would be for Ed to oversee a refresh which means a wholesale clean out and we go to the draft. Good leaders are able to acknowledge what has not worked and change course. This should include making sure we hire coaches as coaches and not star ex-players as coaches. Follow a process and get the best candidate with a panel - Adelaide have done this twice. Hawthorn did it.

If the Board wish to reappoint Buckley, they should (a)cut his salary to reflect his performance as they do for players with performance payments for success; (b) retain the right to terminate the contract at any time without penalty. At least then the cap can be protected and we are not stuck with a "Mayne" like deal.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Conveniently forgotten by the believers.

I'm sure there was a different excuse back then. And there will be more excuses in the future from them when he inevitably fails if he undeservingly gets reappointed again.

Why do you feel the need to categorise people in this way? It's actually possible to be in two minds on this issue.

But using catastrophic language when discussing our position which, sadly, is not that uncommon when it comes to footy clubs - I think it's unnecessarily emotive when we need cool and clear headed thinking and insights. Not constant 'end of the world' scenarios.

Fair comment :)

Get a grip Pies fans. No Fasolo, Grundy,Pendlebury, DeGoey, Wells, Varcoe, Goldsack, Greenwood plus blooding new kids against a side contending and locking down a top 4 spot and we lose by under 2 kicks.
No Hawkins, Blicsavs, Selwood, Stanley or Parfit - so what's your point? That we have injuries and they don't? No other team does?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if we move buck's on, don't we now have to wait until after finals to approach any assistants that are involved?

Remember when we were a respected club always playing finals, resulting in this time of the year having assistants going for main jobs?

Ohhhhh the good ole days.

Remember when we were a respected club always playing finals, resulting in this time of the year having assistants going for main jobs?

Ohhhhh the good ole days.
When was that? Frankly, I couldn't care less if others outside the club respected us or not.
Respect is not a word I would use when thinking of other clubs. Wishing we had a player like Danger, yes but that is about all.

When was that? Frankly, I couldn't care less if others outside the club respected us or not.
Respect is not a word I would use when thinking of other clubs. Wishing we had a player like Danger, yes but that is about all.
I suspect he's referring to 2006-2013 when we played off in eight consecutive finals series and made five preliminary finals in that time.

That's it in a nutshell.

I'd respect other view points more if it is stated in measured tones, but we're all different.

The other thing which is where you know it's more about the affect is the while 6 year thing, because it sounds worse.

The finals were made the first two years but anyway.

Far more stronger though to say the last four years the rebuilding hasn't worked etc.

But 6 sounds worse than 4.

So by extension Nathan coached better his first two years?

No they will say, he had this incredible list, that's why.

That's a bingo!

He had the players.

Who would have thunk it, players make a difference......

Get players that are elite, A grade, develop to higher levels sides go up the food chain.

Simples

Early on in the year Pies had the best injury run we have seen in many years, dead set how anyone can still make this excuse is beyond me.
Because anything else would point towards the coach being at fault. Lack of game plan, lack of match day strategy, team selection, unbalanced list management; assistant coaches, etc. Buckley took over a team that had won a GF and was runners-up in the past 2 years, took over a club with the best of everything as Ed has confirmed on many occasions.

Rocket Eade on the other hand inherited a so called "s**t sandwich", a team that had no change rooms or gym facilities, a poor culture, and internal fighting, and significant long-term injuries and defections. Eade was able to do something Buckley has been unable to do, improve their ladder position in one year (he did not worsen their position) but was still terminated within 3 years.

It's embarrassing that this is even still an issue this late in the season.

I doubt Hawthorn or Sydney would be losing any sleep if they had to make a decision on a coach with the record of Bucks.

And yet here we all are waiting for Emperor Ed to make his decision when there is only one to be made if based on results.

Man, when exactly did this football club start meekly accepting mediocrity season after season?

Collingwood is not currently respected or feared, not often that has happened in the past 15 years.

We're turning into the Arsenal Football Club of this competition.

And for anyone that doesn't know English football well in recent times, that isn't a good thing.

All just about making money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back