The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My confidence in our list and coaching team is the strongest it's been in a long time. I just wanted to momentarily explore something though.

In 2014, we had a new coach and an awful start to the year (after a couple of very lean and a couple of moderate years). After the bye that year, we won six games and pastures were looking green. We finished 15th on the ladder.

We're unlikely to win seven games this year, but our percentage is +6%, our quarters won is already +2 and we have less OOC players. Are there any other measurable differences between now and then we can be positive about?
to be fair 2011-2014 wins....4 of them were a given it was against gws and gcs who were cannon fodder then (GCS still are but for different reasons)

to be fair 2011-2014 wins....4 of them were a given it was against gws and gcs who were cannon fodder then (GCS still are but for different reasons)
Be interesting to compare average games per player in each era.....think there would be a big difference giving hope to a much brighter future.

His improvements been covered a little bit but just looking at Bastinac's stats since the bye: averaging 19.4 disposals, 7.3 contested possessions, 3.3 tackles, 2.9 inside 50s, 1.5 goals, 6.3 score involvements and 306.7 metres gained a game. Whilst that isn't going to get you in the AA team it's precisely what you want from your second stringers, particularly with the contributions with scoring. Fagan seemed to be pretty firm with him in the first half of the year and it seems to be paying off. Very pleasing.

His improvements been covered a little bit but just looking at Bastinac's stats since the bye: averaging 19.4 disposals, 7.3 contested possessions, 3.3 tackles, 2.9 inside 50s, 1.5 goals, 6.3 score involvements and 306.7 metres gained a game. Whilst that isn't going to get you in the AA team it's precisely what you want from your second stringers, particularly with the contributions with scoring. Fagan seemed to be pretty firm with him in the first half of the year and it seems to be paying off. Very pleasing.

His goal kicking accuracy has been phenomenal. In fact second most accurate goal kicker in the league. This really helps when we are trying to build momentum within games.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

He was written off before the season started and his first several games didn't exactly refute the suggestion that his career was going nowhere. It has been a really good turnaround.

20 touches and a goal is a good return for a wing/high half forward type.

I remember watching him in a scratch match at the beginning of last year that he had this knack of bobbing up at either end of the ground to get the footy and then he'd do the right thing with it. One moment he'd be an option coming out of defence and next thing he'd be in some space going inside forward 50. He just seemed to have a good combination of work rate and footy nous.

He's still no star and he occasionally makes an error which drives me to distraction but he's definitely entrenched in our best side now. Credit to Basti for finding the answers to a pretty significant form slump and credit to the coaching staff for helping him get back.

The test for Bastinac next year and whether he remains entrenched in our best side is when Robinson and Christensen are back, we retain Rocky, draft a gun midfielder, possibly bring in Cameron or similar top talent and guys like Matho, Keays, Berry and Lugga become more automatic selections. At that stage I think both he and Lester will be under pressure.

The test for Bastinac next year and whether he remains entrenched in our best side is when Robinson and Christensen are back, we retain Rocky, draft a gun midfielder, possibly bring in Cameron or similar top talent and guys like Matho, Keays, Berry and Lugga become more automatic selections. At that stage I think both he and Lester will be under pressure.
Competition for sits who would have thunk it!

^ yep pretty good that "Lester and Bastinac" are under pressure and Bewick and Bell have gone from regulars in 2016 to irregular in 2017 to probably last few spots on the list in 2018.

Competition for sits who would have thunk it!
qduiwE.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back