Brisbane members and supporters totals

Remove this Banner Ad

More games like today, not rolling over and bringing it to top 8 worthy sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finishing outside the bottom four would certainly help kick-start it.

Making finals after that and then backing it up with a second straight finals season.

THEN we could realistically look at reaching 30-35k and a bigger GABBA grow.

More games like today, not rolling over and bringing it to top 8 worthy sides

Is that all it will take? Better on field performance? From memory 26k is our best, even at the tail end of the threepeat. I think our peak was after the 2009 final but still didn't top 27k.

Is that all it will take? Better on field performance? From memory 26k is our best, even at the tail end of the threepeat. I think our peak was after the 2009 final but still didn't top 27k.

Well obviously not, although it would go a long way into heading north in a positive direction!

Think of the bus lines after the game with 30-35k members.

Aren't you guys finally getting a train line there within the next 5 years?

A huge boost for casuals and massive relief to every interstate supporter who doesn't plan ahead how they'll get to the ******* place.

Reckon only way we'll get that is if we can crack 12.5k Vic members.

Which brings up a whole new issue in how do we attract 12.5k Vic members?

tbh that's a lot and even with sustained success we didn't get that down here. Granted it's been revealed we had less than ideal leadership at executive level but even now I see much more growth in the QLD market. Victoria can never be ignored (* you, Angus), we are part of the Lions but any significant growth needs to come from QLD. Would be a massive uphill battle to get that many numbers here.

Don't you mean people going to the game?

Having 35k members would mean we are in a great place on-field and would see us likely pulling min 25k crowds to each home game. But I understand your point - I meant to say attendees.

Just had a quick look and the Broncos have just over 36k members for this year, and let's be honest they own the joint up here so it would be extremely unlikely we could ever attract 35k members, especially consistently.

I think ~30k is a realistic goal if we actually start moving up the ladder again but like others mentioned I think our best hope is getting more members in Victoria, which of course is easier said then done when the team has been s**t for so long and we only play 4-5 games down there a year.

Victorian members would know more but how well does the club engage with the Vic members as I'm sure this was raised as an issue a few years ago.

Having 35k members would mean we are in a great place on-field and would see us likely pulling min 25k crowds to each home game. But I understand your point - I meant to say attendees.

Just that Brisbane crowds are fickle, that's all.

Just had a quick look and the Broncos have just over 36k members for this year, and let's be honest they own the joint up here so it would be extremely unlikely we could ever attract 35k members, especially consistently.

Membership in the NRL is not quite as big a deal as it is in the AFL (for a supporter).

Having said that, I do think it's a pipe dream that we'll get 35k members anytime soon - other than the fact that they might start counting 1 game members or something. Or the population of Australia grows so much in the next few hundred years that it's just the same percentage of the population as it was in the Golden Era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah 35k will never happen. For the southerners and especially to people who come on the board and complain about what a leg up we have with the academies in the Sunday Mail today the first mention of AFL came 17 pages into the sports liftout, which is page 60 of the paper itself.

For comparison's sake you could've read up on 48 stories of NRL, the Wallabies attempting to play RU, Rafa Nadal returning to Brisbane in 7 months time, the V8's Sydney Supersprint, Australia's tour of Bangladesh (yes seriously), the Roar's preseason update (WTF) and some golfer looking to 'fight for a European tour exemption', before anyone would've realised we actually had a game today.

Our highest membership tally is 30,941 in 2004 (per Wikipedia). 35k members is unrealistic when at the height of our powers we couldnt reach that figure. Also consider the addition of Gold Coast cost us roughly 8000 members too... it ain't happening
I think that Queenslanders have changed their attitude towards footy club membership though. Both the Reds and Broncos now focus on memberships when they previously didn't. That sort of cultural change might actually help us sell the notion of memberships to those who didn't grow up in the Aussie Rules membership tradition.

I think that Queenslanders have changed their attitude towards footy club membership though. Both the Reds and Broncos now focus on memberships when they previously didn't. That sort of cultural change might actually help us sell the notion of memberships to those who didn't grow up in the Aussie Rules membership tradition.

I think the key is to have as many classes of membership as possible with a view to encouraging the lower classes of membership to transition to full membership over time.

I think the key is to have as many classes of membership as possible with a view to encouraging the lower classes of membership to transition to full membership over time.
Classist.

We'd need multiple top four finishes in a row at minimum I'd say. We'd probably need 3+ years in finals too. Honestly 30K is a far more realistic goal. We'd need 2001-2004 style success to reach 35K which is far too ambitious.

Finishing outside the bottom four would certainly help kick-start it.

Making finals after that and then backing it up with a second straight finals season.

THEN we could realistically look at reaching 30-35k and a bigger GABBA grow.
I suspect it would take a lot more than two consecutive finals years.

I can't see us getting to 35 unless the sun's fold/ move and we really grow in Victoria

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that we have dropped 2,000 members this year from last year. With the promise we have showed in the latter half of the year and the hope it gives us it will be interesting to see our numbers next year. With what we have seen you would like to hope it will pick up those missing 2,000 and a little more hopefully. Surely those people who dropped off can see we have something heading into the future.

Aren't you guys finally getting a train line there within the next 5 years?

A huge boost for casuals and massive relief to every interstate supporter who doesn't plan ahead how they'll get to the ******* place.

The state government wants it but they need federal funds which they haven't got so far. Access is an issue for sure.

Not sure about the 35k figure but bigger growth in numbers will come with sustained success and the long-term appearance of the being a really solid club rather than just 2 or three years of finals or even a premiership. This has certainly been the case with the Swans who have built a solid membership number over 20 years ever since the 1996 grandfinal. They had numbers in the high 20k until the 2nd premiership in 2012 when they then moved up to another level.

Last edited:
As a Victorian member, I can say that the club will struggle to attract many more members down here until they find a way to make a Vic membership better value. The Traditional package this year works out at $30 a game (rounded) for GA access. Sadly, it's cheaper to rock up on the day and buy a GA entry. Look, I wear my gold membership with pride, but I can see why a casual supporter might shy away from signing up.

As a Victorian member, I can say that the club will struggle to attract many more members down here until they find a way to make a Vic membership better value. The Traditional package this year works out at $30 a game (rounded) for GA access. Sadly, it's cheaper to rock up on the day and buy a GA entry. Look, I wear my gold membership with pride, but I can see why a casual supporter might shy away from signing up.
They wont do it. I argued with a guy from the membership area before last season about it. His argument for it being of better value was that you get access to GABBA games. Because 1 game is always in Geelong, and another game invariably clashes with something else, it's just so not worth it for the price.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back