• Extend his contract

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
time always reveals.

we got it wrong.

so massively, catastrophically wrong.

This wasn't intended as a gentle suggestion. Your daily moaning doesn't actually add anything of value. Knock it off or I'll do it for you.

Do you really feel the need to just say the same thing every couple of days?

Everyone is aware of your views on the subject. Everyone. Repeating them like clockwork adds nothing.

Give it a rest.

a lot more upside to their list than ours.

giphy.gif

A big responsibility that Simmo failed at was in regards to Jetta who was recruited to add speed to a slowish midfield ..Simmo has really failed to utilise Jetta 's speed by having no set plays developed to focus on his strengths ..We very rarely see Jetta running to break lines which was a attraction that was supposed to benefit WCE ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jetta has had ample opportunities in games to show us this so called pace and breaking lines ability, he refuses to take it on and his game is average because of it. Has the coach told him he can't do it? Only God knows but I fail to see how a coach can create a game plan around a guy who averages around 15 possessions a game through out his career. I reckon we got exactly what we recruited with Jetta, a Lazy, soft lethargic footballer who has premium skills that performs rarely. Sydney were happy to see him gone and we were foolish to think we could change his attitude.

That's possibly the grossest oversimplification of our 2015 campaign I've seen.

Just as simple is the fact the circa 2017 team is an arguably better team on paper than the 2015 one bar NicNat. Yet Simmo has engineered an impressive slide from 2nd to 11th.

Easier for me to just put two and two together and realise it was Pike who blindsided the comp with his defensive web, while the removal of McKenzie and Brown from selection forced a faster, more lethal rebounding team. Then it was a case of momentum building on belief ridden all the way to the GF.

Now, with the extra tall defence choices, the addition of Jetta, Redden, Petrie and Mitchell, rather than seeing any improvement all its highlighted is a coach all at sea compiling a best 22. He spends all his time moving form players from favoured positions (hello Yeo and McGovern) whatever gaping hole became apparent from the week before. Rinse and repeat. Outcome is I've never seen so many players go backwards.

Without Nic Nat our game plan consists of conceding the entire 150m of the ground that exists between the two 50m arcs. Winning the footy at halfback then every player sprinting the length of the ground to try to provide an option. Cant work out why we run out of steam in the final quarter.. EVERY week.

Also loved the forward thinking selections. Partington missing three weeks of footy so he could sit out and watch Masten stink it up. Lamb this week. The lowest level of debutants in the league. Could just go on an on and on.

Last edited:
Just as simple is the fact the circa 2017 team is an arguably better team on paper than the 2015 one bar NicNat. Yet Simmo has engineered an impressive slide from 2nd to 11th.

Easier to just put two and two together and realise it was Pike who blindsided the comp with his defensive web, while the removal of McKenzie and Brown from selection forced a faster, more lethal rebounding team. Then it was a case of momentum building on belief ridden all the way to the GF.

Now, with the extra tall defence choices, the addition of Jetta, Redden, Petrie and Mitchell, rather than seeing any improvement all its highlighted is a coach all at sea compiling a best 22. He spends all his time moving form players from favoured positions to whatever gaping hole became apparent from the week before. Outcome is I've never seen so many players go backwards.

Personally I've loved our game plan of conceding the entire 150m of the ground that exists between the two 50m arcs. Winning the footy at halfback then every player sprinting the length of the ground to try to provide an option. Cant work out why we run out of steam in the final quarter.. EVERY week.

Also loved the forward thinking selections. Partington missing three weeks of footy so he could sit out and watch Masten stink it up. Lamb this week. The lowest level of debutants in the league. Could just go on an on and on.

Are we a better team on paper than we were in 2015? Don't exclude NicNat from that exercise because he's probably our most influential player and he's missed the entire year. As has his backup, save for one game. Our other most influential player missed a chunk of games mid year and we went 2-4 after he went down (including the GWS loss where we coughed up the lead in his absence).

The only form player that's been moved out of his preferred position is Yeo. Maybe Gov although he's said his preferred position is ruck, which is where he got moved to. Duggan has been moved to halfback and shone.

And if you're going to credit PYke with all our successes you should probably get his name right. And you could maybe not overstate the slide, we're ninth not 11th. Less than 2% out of the eight. And Partington missed two weeks not three.

^^ seeing as this is the gentlemanly discussion thread I'll just let this s**t show of a season speak for itself. The ladder position, gameplan, list management etc. I doubt Terry Wallace could have done a better job mismanaging us. Hopefully in the wake of this weekends nail in the coffin Simmo fronts the press conference and a full replacement coaching staff are already there talking up a new era.

Simpson's only claim to fame was taking Woosha's list, using Pikes gameplan and the injury gods team selection to a surprise GF appearance off the back of a favourable draw. In every other respect his tenure has been a failure.

This season has been an absolute disaster and the thought of him anywhere near this team next year makes me sick in the guts. Take a good old look at Freo because people were saying exactly the same thing about them 2 years ago.
A fair bit of speculation on your part re the above. We don't really know who came up with the gameplan once Brown &McKenzie went down? A disaster you say - just look at Freo & that's a disaster!
Apart from the two big losses in Melbourne earlier in the year against the Hawks & Essendon, we have been in most other games and with a bit of luck could have had another couple of wins on the board. Sure our fitness in being able to run out games needs working on and blind Freddy can see our midfield mix is just so out of whack but they are things that can be rectified as long as O'Brien & others get their act together & draft/trade in some speed and mongrel.
Unless we can get a coach that is better, we are better sticking with Simmo and hopefully some of the flaws that have been in our game get rectified. We need to replace our forward coach, Mitch hopefully can improve some of our midfield strategies and there's one or two others in the background that need replacing or moving on.
There's many reasons why this season has gone South - not having a genuine ruckman being one of those - we have had injuries to some of our young guns as well who probably would have been given a chance had they not incurred injuries - eg Venables and Rioli, so with a list haul over at seasons end hopefully we shall start to see some improvement next year.
If you can't handle a down year from time to time, maybe you should give it all away;)!

Our game plan has become so bland and boring, Its so predictable.
We lose the clearances, coral like mad to try and create "dirty ball" and intercept an opposition i50. But when we win it back we are very slow to move it on there is no one providing options or run so we chip sideways or bomb it up the line hoping for a pack mark or a stoppage. If we lose stoppage rinse and repeat. If we win stoppage blind hack out of stoppage fwd or big bomb long onto JKs head.
Even though we were close to GWS on the weekend it was such a boring game to watch. It made me feel like doing house work and i hate house work!

If Brad Scott somehow manages to keep his job at North, then Simmo will stay in Perth and coach the Eagles in 2018.

If this is the case, then he MUST clean out and replace his assistant coaches and fitness staff. If he doesn't offload some of these guys and try something new, he's basically signing his death warrant as a head coach in the AFL.

Start by sacking Longmuir...what has this bloke added to the team's ability since taking in the senior assistant role at the start of this dreadful season?

No one should be safe...

If Brad Scott somehow manages to keep his job at North, then Simmo will stay in Perth and coach the Eagles in 2018.
If this is the case, then he MUST clean out and replace his assistant coaches and fitness staff. If he doesn't offload some of these guys and try something new, he's basically signing his death warrant as a head coach in the AFL.
Start by sacking Longmuir...what has this bloke added to the team's ability since taking in the senior assistant role at the start of this dreadful season?
No one should be safe...
And yet they all will be. They'll chalk this season up to missing our ruckmen and then it'll be more of the same next year, the same coaches, the same game plan, the same piss poor development. Look at they way they've reverted back to not playing many of the young guys now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise a s**t player is a s**t player. Coaches aren't fix-all magicians who can turn anyone into a star. Cripps being a fumbling mess has nothing to do with Simpson. Cripps work rate was good but his polish non-existent.

If that's the case why I Simpson continually picking him, you reckon Longmire or Clarkson would have kept playing him, my guess is no way.
If Simpson can't identify when one of his players doesn't have the fundamental skills to play at senior level then yes it's all on him and his MC.

Don't think Rioli was injured in his draft year. His hamstring issues only started just before the JLT games.

Vardy and Ellis weren't kids taken with top picks. They were vets taken pretty much for free.

Rioli' body was rejecting all the running...bet he could run a mile in under 4 minutes to get to Maccas though.
Harsh I know, lets hope he has a great year next season god knows we need him too.

so how many Ladder sport ahs Nic and Lyset's absence cost us.
Probably would have finished around where we did last year imo, not enough to turn us into contenders. May have played with a bit more spark with Nic Nat in the team but he's not going to fix this bullshit corralling game plan we seem to be insisting on.

You do realise a s**t player is a s**t player. Coaches aren't fix-all magicians who can turn anyone into a star. Cripps being a fumbling mess has nothing to do with Simpson. Cripps work rate was good but his polish non-existent.

Cripps is a perfect case in point to highlight Simmo's failing as coach. Ridiculously limited player, yet has he been dropped once for poor form in all of Simpson tenure? Small forward who's only goals come from Joe the gooses over the top, usually because he's not in at the coalface where he should be, seeing as he's supposedly a defensive forward. A poor mans McGinnity and coach favourite holding out the kids.

And yet they all will be. They'll chalk this season up to missing our ruckmen and then it'll be more of the same next year, the same coaches, the same game plan, the same piss poor development. Look at they way they've reverted back to not playing many of the young guys now.

Then heads will roll in 12 months time. Our list of senior assistants and assistants is about as bland as a coaching panel gets. Inject some energetic, inspiring and proven coaches and attempt to prosper...or keep doing the same sh!t with the same crew and get the same result.

Then heads will roll in 12 months time. Our list of senior assistants and assistants is about as bland as a coaching panel gets. Inject some energetic, inspiring and proven coaches and attempt to prosper...or keep doing the same sh!t with the same crew and get the same result.
Seems like a waste of 12 months to me, obvious that we need to make changes now, hopefully we do in the off season

If you can't handle a down year from time to time, maybe you should give it all away;)!

Very good post actually. I agree, there is also something about copping bad times which makes the good times even sweeter. 2010 .. and GF loss in 2005.. makes you stronger in the end.

There's many reasons why this season has gone South - not having a genuine ruckman being one of those - we have had injuries to some of our young guns as well who probably would have been given a chance had they not incurred injuries - eg Venables and Rioli, so with a list haul over at seasons end hopefully we shall start to see some improvement next year.
I'd say the fact that he's still here and watching games instead of off having a sook somewhere indicates that he can handle a down time. Doesn't mean he has to like it and also doesn't mean that he can't say what he thinks is wrong with the team.

Who actually thought we would be better than around where we sit without NicNat ?

We all know he makes our midfield look better than it is ?

I don't think it would matter who was coaching this is about where the list sits without NicNat.....

If you look at all the lists we probably have the 3rd worst Midfield in the league at the moment......

Who actually thought we would be better than around where we sit without NicNat ?

We all know he makes our midfield look better than it is ?

I don't think it would matter who was coaching this is about where the list sits without NicNat.....

If you look at all the lists we probably have the 3rd worst Midfield in the league at the moment......
The coaches obviously thought we'd be better than we have been otherwise they wouldn't have brought Mitchell in to play for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back