Certified Legendary Thread Squiggle 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the most unexpected thing :p
Luck is the one thing our club doesn't have. Every frigging step feels like a laborious fight against the man, where we have to work harder than others to succeed. We do succeed, but it is hard earned. :)

So it was just a question. Are the Swans extraordinary for a team sitting 6th, by where they sit on the squiggle?

Live.squiggle.com.au/2016.html
Arrow back to 'Round 23' and the Crows & the Eagles are amongst the Premiership Cups while sitting 4th and 5th.

So the tigers are finally looking like a finals team. :p

We'll see how they do over the next month and a bit.

Are the Swans the best ever no-top 4 team?

This is imperfect since, apart from Sydney 2017, all of the ratings are at the end of the finals series.

At the moment, Adelaide 1998 are the strongest no-top-4 team, followed by the unlucky Adelaide 2009. Sydney are third. Geelong 1993 appear on this list despite a number of other teams above them being omitted, because they were the strongest team of the year, by Squiggle or by Flagpole.

Adelaide 1998: 73, 72 (72.3), Flagpole 247.3 (1st)
Adelaide 2009: 74, 67 (70.5), Flagpole 235 (2nd)
Sydney 2017: 65,76 (70.3), Flagpole 201 (2nd)
Hawthorn 1990: 74, 66 (70.1) Flagpole 291 (2nd)
Port Adelaide 2014: 71, 68 (69.5), Flagpole 224 (3rd)
Bulldogs 2016: 64, 74 (69.3), Flagpole 199 (5th)
Hawthorn 1992: 77, 61 (69.0), Flagpole 315 (2nd)
Collingwood 1991: 70, 68 (68.6) Flagpole 243 (5th)
Adelaide 2016: 62, 75 (68.3), Flagpole 223 (2nd)
Geelong 1993: 78, 54, (66.4), Flagpole 275 (1st)

This is imperfect since, apart from Sydney 2017, all of the ratings are at the end of the finals series.

At the moment, Adelaide 1998 are the strongest no-top-4 team, followed by the unlucky Adelaide 2009. Sydney are third. Geelong 1993 appear on this list despite a number of other teams above them being omitted, because they were the strongest team of the year, by Squiggle or by Flagpole.

Thanks for the answer. So, unusually strong, but not unprecedented. Thank you

Whenever there's a beatdown where the other team only gets about 20 points I like to check the Squiggle and watch the giant move to the right. As expected, that game singlehandedly catapulted Port Adelaide forward ahead of three other finals teams. If only that were how it really worked. :p

If they had all started the year like that, every single move is recalculated.
Yes, it's curiosity on what the ladder would look like if everyone had started with a clean slate, with no overhang from 2016. No Essendon's aberration year with missing players, no missing effects of teams retirements, recruits etc. I'm not saying it'd be more or less accurate, I'm just curious at 2017 in an isolated snapshot.

What about the North team in 2013 that didn't make the 8 but was a top 4 Squiggler?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles fans should feel confident of making a semi at least. Footy logic suggest Port will lose, unless they somehow buck the trend of being thumped by fellow top 8 teams

Flat track bully meets flat track bully. Should be a cracking game.

Eagles fans should feel confident of making a semi at least. Footy logic suggest Port will lose, unless they somehow buck the trend of being thumped by fellow top 8 teams
Port , a team that has struggled against top 8 sides playing a top 8 side
West Coast who suddenly become boys when getting into a plane

Playing in Adelaide West Coast at AO v Port 3-0

Draw

"Footy logic" can * off.

Sydney away - won by 28
Adelaide home - lost by 17
GWS away - lost by 31
West Coast home - lost by 10
Geelong away - lost by 2
Essendon away - lost by 70
Richmond home - lost by 13
West Coast away - won by 32
Adelaide away - lost by 84

If the 2 point loss to Geelong, the 10 point loss to West Coast, the 13 point loss to Richmond and the 17 point loss to Adelaide are considered thumpings, I guess we must have destroyed you lot.

"Footy logic" can **** off.

Sydney away - won by 28
Adelaide home - lost by 17
GWS away - lost by 31
West Coast home - lost by 10
Geelong away - lost by 2
Essendon away - lost by 70
Richmond home - lost by 13
West Coast away - won by 32
Adelaide away - lost by 84

If the 2 point loss to Geelong, the 10 point loss to West Coast, the 13 point loss to Richmond and the 17 point loss to Adelaide are considered thumpings, I guess we must have destroyed you lot.
West Coast, Adelaide and Essendon are the ones after the bye and those are the ones that should concern you. Fortunately the game is at home, so Port have a chance, a punchers chance, but a chance all the same.

West Coast, Adelaide and Essendon are the ones after the bye and those are the ones that should concern you. Fortunately the game is at home, so Port have a chance, a punchers chance, but a chance all the same.

Not saying I'm all that confident, but Port are the shortest price favourites of any team in the first round of the finals. Is that "Gamblers Logic"?

Port could surprise a few. In the losses to wce and Richmond we controlled large parts of the game but couldn't convert inside 50 dominance or kick straight in small losses.

We're winning at 3qtr time against gws without Ryder.

The first showdown we were up for half the game then just fell short by a few goals.

And Geelong we were winning until some Dangerfield luck and moment of poor defending in the last minute.

While also beating wce away and Sydney round 1. Could have easily won 2 or 3 of those other games against top 8 sides.

With a better team structure from the last few rounds and the break after an early bye, could surprise some

2017 End of Home & Away Season

iesL04h.png

Animated!

HYqY4Rt.gif

You know I don't believe in the whole idea of Flat Track Bullies, but god damn, Port Adelaide, you are making it difficult. The Power grew ten feet tall upon spotting a spindly, bedraggled Gold Coast, and proceeded to pound the snot out of them, while periodically stopping to flex and grin at nearby girls, and slicking back their hair with a comb. God damn you, Port Adelaide. That's so uncool.

When Sydney curb-stomped their bottom-4 opponent, they had a little class. They were positively gentlemanly in allowing Carlton to kick 8.9, compared to the Power's nipple-cripple of the Suns that permitted just 3.2 20.

Port Adelaide's performance was mainly impressive for its miserliness, since scoring 135 against Gold Coast isn't that special. It's only 30 points more than the average team puts past the Suns. As such, the Power go shoooooting off to the right, but don't climb much vertically. The Swans, on the other hand, see mainly vertical gains after scoring 138 against a significantly better defense.

Gold Coast finish the year as the worst-ranked team, seeing off a challenge from Fremantle.

The Cats and Tigers both had impressive wins. After some accurate goal-shooting against the Saints, Richmond are almost starting to look like a normal team, i.e. one that can score. In fact, the team that Richmond most resembles right now is Geelong, so it's fitting that they get to Highlander it in a Qualifying Final.

I hope you appreciated my cool detachment in that previous paragraph. I'm like, sure, I write about Richmond making a QF all the time. No biggie. You can't even tell I have my legs crossed like super tight.

And now for Melbourne. I take no joy in Melbourne. It's a bit surprising because I was really pissed at Melbourne after the whole Jordan McMahon game thing. But no, apparently I have no more schadenfreude to give. This one sucks, Melbourne. Here is the tragedy of Melbourne in tower form:

Zq6hTOi.gif

And on Flagpole:

QEpsBM8.gif

Is now a good time to mention that Squiggle was tipping a Swans v Adelaide Grand Final before the start of the year? I feel like yes.

Still no freaking love for the Tigers.

851PPE1.png

Last year, Squiggle had an impressive 67% hit rate in tipping finals that didn't involve the Western Bulldogs. After including the Dogs, it was a bit less impressive, going 3-6 (33%). But 2016 was a strange year; the home (higher-placed) team has won finals regularly since 2000, going at about 72%. So you're normally pretty safe backing them.

Finals previews to come sometime!

2017 End of Home & Away Season

iesL04h.png

Animated!

HYqY4Rt.gif

You know I don't believe in the whole idea of Flat Track Bullies, but god damn, Port Adelaide, you are making it difficult. The Power grew ten feet tall upon spotting a spindly, bedraggled Gold Coast, and proceeded to pound the snot out of them, while periodically stopping to flex and grin at nearby girls, and slicking back their hair with a comb. God damn you, Port Adelaide. That's so uncool.

When Sydney curb-stomped their bottom-4 opponent, they had a little class. They were positively gentlemanly in allowing Carlton to kick 8.9, compared to the Power's nipple-cripple of the Suns that permitted just 3.2 20.

Port Adelaide's performance was mainly impressive for its miserliness, since scoring 135 against Gold Coast isn't that special. It's only 30 points more than the average team puts past the Suns. As such, the Power go shoooooting off to the right, but don't climb much vertically. The Swans, on the other hand, see mainly vertical gains after scoring 138 against a significantly better defense.

Gold Coast finish the year as the worst-ranked team, seeing off a challenge from Fremantle.

The Cats and Tigers both had impressive wins. After some accurate goal-shooting against the Saints, Richmond are almost starting to look like a normal team, i.e. one that can score. In fact, the team that Richmond most resembles right now is Geelong, so it's fitting that they get to Highlander it in a Qualifying Final.

I hope you appreciated my cool detachment in that previous paragraph. I'm like, sure, I write about Richmond making a QF all the time. No biggie. You can't even tell I have my legs crossed like super tight.

And now for Melbourne. I take no joy in Melbourne. It's a bit surprising because I was really pissed at Melbourne after the whole Jordan McMahon game thing. But no, apparently I have no more schadenfreude to give. This one sucks, Melbourne. Here is the tragedy of Melbourne in tower form:

Zq6hTOi.gif

And on Flagpole:

QEpsBM8.gif

Is now a good time to mention that Squiggle was tipping a Swans v Adelaide Grand Final before the start of the year? I feel like yes.

Still no freaking love for the Tigers.

851PPE1.png

Last year, Squiggle had an impressive 67% hit rate in tipping finals that didn't involve the Western Bulldogs. After including the Dogs, it was a bit less impressive, going 3-6 (33%). But 2016 was a strange year; the home (higher-placed) team has won finals regularly since 2000, going at about 72%. So you're normally pretty safe backing them.

Finals previews to come sometime!
Could you please do an Explosive Squiggle now that H&A is done and the finalists haven't moved yet?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back