Rumour Busted The Buck's stops here (Buck's is off the bus)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon they keep him and clear out the assistants like Richmond last year.
I reckon this. Plus a player coming in might only come if he's there.( that's just me spitballing about Lever leaving)

I feel like there will be improvement regardless of who coaches the Pies in 2018.

Even this year has been an improvement over 2015 and 2016. The win-loss ratio will be what people judge on, but if people have actually watched and followed the Pies this year, they've been competitive in nearly every game, and have lost a lot of close ones. We haven't gotten pumped or looked miles off the pace.

Going into the season, I put us in the 9th-12th range this year, and depending on the weekend's results, we could still finish 12th. People will say seeing positives in a year like this is "embracing mediocrity", but the competitiveness is definitely there, and list is heading in the right direction IMO.

Your forward line is non existent and the manner in which the ball comes in is toxic.

Join us.

You're denying that Hardwick has achieved some success with an average list?

He's made finals more times than Nathan, and inheriting a basket case of a club, as opposed to a top of the table organisation.

But anyway, this delusion that some Pies supporters have that Buckley has been under ridiculous attention is the biggest myth in football.

If you want to be "the biggest club" in the land, don't bitch about it when the coach who's led his team from 2nd on the ladder to 13th cops reasonable scrutiny.

Hardwick may not have had the best list in the league over the last few years but very 17 coaches also haven't. What Hardwick has had is the best run with injuries to important players of any coach in probably the history of the game.

Any other coach who has taken his team backwards every year for 6 years would be out on his ear.

It's only because of how badly it would reflect on Eddie, that Bucks has stayed as long as he has (IMHO).

I'm not sure any President who made the decision to sack a premiership coach half way into their back-to-back attempt would have lasted as long as Eddie has either. Just proves that one person runs the whole show at Collingwood, and that is a very unhealthy situation to be in.

I'm not sure any President who made the decision to sack a premiership coach half way into their back-to-back attempt would have lasted as long as Eddie has either. Just proves that one person runs the whole show at Collingwood, and that is a very unhealthy situation to be in.
Please don't try and re-write history; Malthouse's departure timeline was documented in 2009.
That said, I agree with your other point - Ed's dominance of our club is extremely unhealthy.

If Bucks does stay, why sign up for two and not just roll over the contract with 1 more year. Doubt he would feel more 'secure' with a two year contract as they could easily cut him short if theres no improvements next year.

That would be pretty awkward. Isn't Sando best mates with Buckley?
Sanderson and Gotch are the only safe assistants because they're contracted. All others have been told to keep their options open.

Hardwick may not have had the best list in the league over the last few years but very 17 coaches also haven't. What Hardwick has had is the best run with injuries to important players of any coach in probably the history of the game.

Any luck with injuries he's had has been more than offset by his club's drafting and trading.

Lennon, Conca, Yarran, etc

He's done well to keep the team competitive with their draft record

Fortunately it's turned around in the last 2 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would seem the Buck does not stop with Buckley. A scouring out and blame game of the assistants and a mentor for a 6 year coach is hardly surprising for this largely irrelevant club.

The rumour was that Nathan was offered a year but demanded two. Eddie should counter with 18 months allowing for half a chance to half resurrect the 2019 season.

Totally agree. If his name wasn't Nathan Buckley he'd have been out the door well and truly by now.

People always says this.....but a great reputation didn't help Voss and many other legends.

There is more to it, such as his brilliant performances in the media, making it difficult to write him off.

Comparison often made with Hardwick

But Hardwick showed serious ability in taking a terrible list to finals in 3? seasons

And just missing out on top 4 with a list that was not top 4 quality

Richmond have lost Maric and a reasonably well performing Vickery from their 2014-2015 side for this year, and are likely to finish 4th. I'd hardly say their list is average now, and it has almost gone backwards since 2014-2015.

Only offered a 1 year deal by the pies and has knocked it back.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If true, shows he knows the Pies are more than a year away. Hope for their own sake they don't chase quick success when the likes of Moore need a whole lot of time to reach their potential.

If, after 6 years in charge, we are all still talking about Buckley and his lack tactical nous and needing to have a senior mentor by his side, I think we all know the answer as to whether or not he is the right man for the job.

If, after 6 years in charge, we are all still talking about Buckley and his lack tactical nous and needing to have a senior mentor by his side, I think we all know the answer as to whether or not he is the right man for the job.
Better give him another 6 years just to make sure

Please don't try and re-write history; Malthouse's departure timeline was documented in 2009.
That said, I agree with your other point - Ed's dominance of our club is extremely unhealthy.

Yes, you are correct, it was a poor choice of wording. What I meant to say was after winning the flag in 2010, Collingwood still had the best list in the competition, and it was clear Malthouse wanted to continue coaching. It caused a split in the club mid-2011 that, IMHO, cost the club a genuine chance of back-to-back flags. My club in 2011 weren't Collingwood's standard, and yet we nearly won the PF. The damage was done. Eddie should have seen this earlier and done something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back