Injury Sam Skinner - ongoing ACL recovery (it's fine everyone, Nunez just trialling psychological warfare)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel bad for Sam. Odds are against him now, I think. From the Club's point of view, things are pretty simple - we've got 2018 to see how he rehabs and then make a call this time next year. The big question for the Club will be whether Sam has shown enough in his limited body of work thus far to warrant using a spot on the list for a 21 year old coming off 3 knee recos vs. picking up an 18 year old KPP. Bearing in mind that some are already labeling 2018 as a possible 'super draft', it will be a tough decision for the Lions.

Feel bad for Sam. Odds are against him now, I think. From the Club's point of view, things are pretty simple - we've got 2018 to see how he rehabs and then make a call this time next year. The big question for the Club will be whether Sam has shown enough in his limited body of work thus far to warrant using a spot on the list for a 21 year old coming off 3 knee recos vs. picking up an 18 year old KPP. Bearing in mind that some are already labeling 2018 as a possible 'super draft', it will be a tough decision for the Lions.

...he's already contracted until the end of 2019.

Tbh I really like what I'm doing atm with my clinic, but I'm always up for anything new. Please feel free to pass anything on to anyone, if makes even the slightest of difference to someone's issues then I'm all for it.

through personal experience i know you are right - took me a couple of decades to work it out though. Wish I'd met you back in the 80s. Lol - you probably weren't born then.

I do the ankle one with the band foot in front of the other and up on a box with the band anchored low - different angle. Will try you way now.

I coach my son and we have been working on his tight back and ankles for years. I sent him your articles and he accused me of impersonating a physio. Good news - he now supposes I might have been onto something and maybe he should put some effort into fixing these problems. So thank you. You might have saved me a lot if money and him surgery, and stopped a lot of arguments.

through personal experience i know you are right - took me a couple of decades to work it out though. Wish I'd met you back in the 80s. Lol - you probably weren't born then.

I do the ankle one with the band foot in front of the other and up on a box with the band anchored low - different angle. Will try you way now.

I coach my son and we have been working on his tight back and ankles for years. I sent him your articles and he accused me of impersonating a physio. Good news - he now supposes I might have been onto something and maybe he should put some effort into fixing these problems. So thank you. You might have saved me a lot if money and him surgery, and stopped a lot of arguments.
Haha thanks, as long as it all helps. If you find it useful, play around with the different band angles, and also try turning the foot in different directions (at right angles to the band etc). With any exercise it's best to go hunting for what you feel is best - everyone else is just guessing.

Hi sven_inc thanks a lot for sharing your findings with us on our board. I'm sure Brishawk had told me about your findings in the past it was great to read them personally especially in regards to Sam.

Is this something that physios working at clubs have clued into as well? It sounds like something that should at the very least have some resources put into more in depth research.

Hope he can comeback. Really liked his first game, showed heaps. Was the other leg this time so its not compounding previous injuries. He'll be ok, long career ahead.
Great young man,great talent and leadership, great family support....if anyone can do it ,he can.The coaches will certainly be hanging out for him.

Hi sven_inc thanks a lot for sharing your findings with us on our board. I'm sure Brishawk had told me about your findings in the past it was great to read them personally especially in regards to Sam.

Is this something that physios working at clubs have clued into as well? It sounds like something that should at the very least have some resources put into more in depth research.
To be honest I have no idea, sorry. I heard the Bulldogs did a study on ankles and ACLs a few years back but im not sure what came of it.

I'm sure AFL clubs put time into it or at least id like to think they do. This isn't to say I know best or anything like that but I feel like I've developed a hell of a lot of perspective by hunting around all these years.

The mystery surrounding a lot of injuries seems to have been replaced with some real clarity.

If anyone can find a video Nic Nat posted to his Twitter a few weeks back of him doing gymnastics in the USA, you'll see an amazingly athletic beast with potentially very very poor mechanics. Or at least just in the vid he posted. Gives me absolutely no confidence that his ACL will stay intact in the future.

If I get time ill post it here if that's not too much of a move away from the thread.

P.S. Sam's Insta tell me he just had the surgery. Best of luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest I have no idea, sorry. I heard the Bulldogs did a study on ankles and ACLs a few years back but im not sure what came of it.

I'm sure AFL clubs put time into it or at least id like to think they do. This isn't to say I know best or anything like that but I feel like I've developed a hell of a lot of perspective by hunting around all these years.

The mystery surrounding a lot of injuries seems to have been replaced with some real clarity.

If anyone can find a video Nic Nat posted to his Twitter a few weeks back of him doing gymnastics in the USA, you'll see an amazingly athletic beast with potentially very very poor mechanics. Or at least just in the vid he posted. Gives me absolutely no confidence that his ACL will stay intact in the future.

If I get time ill post it here if that's not too much of a move away from the thread.

P.S. Sam's Insta tell me he just had the surgery. Best of luck to him.
One thing I was thinking about re your research and your view around "stiff ankles".

I know when I started seniors we were encouraged to tape our ankles to stop a roll out, but personally I didnt like it and I felt I couldnt run as fast or kick the same way.

Could part of the problem be over taping or incorrect taping of ankles when as a kid playing jnr footy you would never tape your ankles up? I could see how that lack of ankle flexibility (when taped) would then put a strain on the knee.

One thing I was thinking about re your research and your view around "stiff ankles".

I know when I started seniors we were encouraged to tape our ankles to stop a roll out, but personally I didnt like it and I felt I couldnt run as fast or kick the same way.

Could part of the problem be over taping or incorrect taping of ankles when as a kid playing jnr footy you would never tape your ankles up? I could see how that lack of ankle flexibility (when taped) would then put a strain on the knee.
Good call.

Interesting theory w1, playing futsal for the last 16 years I used to get some very minor ankle sprains and a couple that kept me out for 2-3 weeks over the first 10 years or so, I never strapped my ankles. The last 6 years I have strapped my ankles and have not had any strains to the ankle although I have been in a number of situations where IMO if the ankle wasn't strapped I would have suffered some sort of sprain.

I have never had any knee issues before or after strapping ankles, touch wood.

It's a great question.

For me it depends on a few things. If you tape an already stiff ankle itll clearly just have the potential to make things worse for the knee - particularly because it's already likely to have been loaded poorly for however long that ankle has been stiff prior. It might make the ankle feel better but if your mechanics are already a little dicey it may just make it slightly more awkward again for the knee.

If you strap an ankle thats existing in some already fantastic mechanics then it probably won't be an issue as you've already got a great, natural "give" in the system.

Sometimes it gets confusing but the way injuries seem to happen is that the incident clearly damages you but how good your mechanics were going in to that incident set you up to succeed or fail when it counts. IMO tape is kind of an add-on that may support one thing well but will potetnially rob somewhere else.

If you feel you need tape to play it probably tells me that your compensating for something, and as weird as this may sound id probably guess it's a stiff ankle.

EDIT: and by "you" I mean people in general. Don't want that to sound personal

It's a great question.

For me it depends on a few things. If you tape an already stiff ankle itll clearly just have the potential to make things worse for the knee - particularly because it's already likely to have been loaded poorly for however long that ankle has been stiff prior. It might make the ankle feel better but if your mechanics are already a little dicey it may just make it slightly more awkward again for the knee.

If you strap an ankle thats existing in some already fantastic mechanics then it probably won't be an issue as you've already got a great, natural "give" in the system.

Sometimes it gets confusing but the way injuries seem to happen is that the incident clearly damages you but how good your mechanics were going in to that incident set you up to succeed or fail when it counts. IMO tape is kind of an add-on that may support one thing well but will potetnially rob somewhere else.

If you feel you need tape to play it probably tells me that your compensating for something, and as weird as this may sound id probably guess it's a stiff ankle.

EDIT: and by "you" I mean people in general. Don't want that to sound personal
I will say I didnt have knee problems back then and if anything I felt lucky that while some of my mates were having issues, I wasnt. Though overall my flexibility is poor.

Now that I am a bit older I am feeling it in the knees, but I think it is more from ITB tightness from cycling, Ive had a few bad episodes with knee pain recently.

Three feet would end anyone's sporting career.

Although you'd make a great pinch-hitting soccer penalty guy.
Certainly ruined this guy's career.
5527078-3x4-700x933.jpg

Absolutely ******, Guttered because he seems like a manic player on-field and all reports a popular guy in the club off it.

Hope he can come back, thats his second but is it the same knee?
It's actually his 3rd. He did his left knee before being drafted, left knee last year, but this time it's his right.

Sorry just realised I didnt follow through with the Nic Nat tweet.

Not sure if this works, but check out his landing mechanics at about 15sec and beyond during the slow mo. He did his left knee, but his right may not be too flash either.

I love watching him play and think hes a phenomenal athlete but his ankles look really stiff in this video.

Notice when he lands his knees sharply cave in (on both sides) every time to get around it.

Check out @RealNaitanuis Tweet:

Sorry just realised I didnt follow through with the Nic Nat tweet.

Not sure if this works, but check out his landing mechanics at about 15sec and beyond during the slow mo. He did his left knee, but his right may not be too flash either.

I love watching him play and think hes a phenomenal athlete but his ankles look really stiff in this video.

Notice when he lands his knees sharply cave in (on both sides) every time to get around it.

Check out @RealNaitanuis Tweet:
Definitely looks a bit dicey.
I have done my Acl and i find that I tend to over use my other leg to compensate for the bad knee, especially if you do not really have the full confidence in landing on the bad one.
It looks to me as though he is landing the bulk of his weight on his right leg now when coming in contact with the ground. Which will put much more strain on that leg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back