List Mgmt. Bringing them home! - Updated 14/Jun/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If it turned out that way and we can keep 5, I'm not unhappy.
Matera would allow Sonny to be permanently midfield
Don't know how we keep 5 and get McGovern though. More likely a pick downgrade and trade where we still have a first rounder.

I don't see how a trade for McGovern could possibility use #5.

It would be like us expecting Cox to head back to Adelaide at the end of next year (if he wasn't contracted) for a top five pick because he could take marks.

Prestia went for pick #6 and a swap of second round picks.

A contracted Dayne Beams off the back of a superstar history went for #5, #25 and Crisp.

There is a pattern here, midfielders can get top ten picks. Forward flankers under 190cm...

Out of contract and the target of a low level side for big money? Seriously, good luck getting better than a second round pick.

For a bit of a more modern example, Josh Kelly. If he is traded to St Kilda, two or three first round picks. If he is traded to North, they might not even get one first round pick from them. If I am the North list manager I would rather use pick #1 and take Kelly with it than trade it to GWS to use.

I don't see how a trade for McGovern could possibility use #5.

It would be like us expecting Cox to head back to Adelaide at the end of next year (if he wasn't contracted) for a top five pick because he could take marks.

Prestia went for pick #6 and a swap of second round picks.

A contracted Dayne Beams off the back of a superstar history went for #5, #25 and Crisp.

There is a pattern here, midfielders can get top ten picks. Forward flankers under 190cm...

Out of contract and the target of a low level side for big money? Seriously, good luck getting better than a second round pick.

For a bit of a more modern example, Josh Kelly. If he is traded to St Kilda, two or three first round picks. If he is traded to North, they might not even get one first round pick from them. If I am the North list manager I would rather use pick #1 and take Kelly with it than trade it to GWS to use.

You're always seriously Machiavellian when it comes to draft/trade/PSD strategy. I like it.

McGovern struggled yesterday V Egirls without Big Tex playing taking the best defender. McGovern is good but not the key forward and great White hope that the punters think he is. His skills set complements Tex , Jenkins, Lynch, Eddie and Charlie.
Dont imagine having 3 3rd talls would make for a good forward line. McCarthy Kersten and McGovern need a real target around them to be effective. Hed just be more of the same.

Dont imagine having 3 3rd talls would make for a good forward line. McCarthy Kersten and McGovern need a real target around them to be effective. Hed just be more of the same.
Forward lines that have mismatches can work and you should be able to get that with those 3. We would have a ruck/forward as well. But just because you have 3 doesn't mean they all play.

Forward lines that have mismatches can work and you should be able to get that with those 3. We would have a ruck/forward as well. But just because you have 3 doesn't mean they all play.

Would McGovern, Kersten, McCarthy and Ruck\Foward (Lobb?) be too slow?

If you compare it to the crows forward line it compares ok, but ideally you want a mid resting as the 4th forward. Having 5 or 6 permanent forwards kills your midfield rotations.

I wonder if the team would play better with out the ruck\forward and we a defender to ruck for 10% of the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you compare it to the crows forward line it compares ok, but ideally you want a mid resting as the 4th forward. Having 5 or 6 permanent forwards kills your midfield rotations.

I wonder if the team would play better with out the ruck\forward and we a defender to ruck for 10% of the game.
Quite possible. Definitely need good midfield rotation.

In our current side, yes. Would need a dominant midfield, much better forwardline structure and good ball users kicking inside 50 to ensure that would work.

Some of the fantasy trades in this and other threads are a bit half ***ed... So...

B Nathan Wilson ~ Alex Pearce ~ Joel Hamling
HB Elliott Yeo ~ Jeremy McGovern ~ Luke Ryan
C Stephen Hill ~ Nat Fyfe ~ Brad Hill
HF Harley Bennell ~ Mitch McGovern ~ Jack Martin
F Cam McCarthy ~ Jesse Hogan ~ Michael Walters
R Sean Darcy ~ Connor Blakely ~ Lachie Neale
I/C Lachie Weller ~ Darcy Tucker ~ Ed Langdon ~ Ethan Hughes

E Brennan Cox ~ Griffin Logue ~ Shane Kersten ~ Matthew Taberner ~ Michael Apeness

Just 6 guys (all 25yo or under), and all who have some past connection with Freo traded in over the next couple of years or so. Maybe add in Tim Kelly and a handful more dynamic mids/small forwards. All achieved without having to trade out any quality - miraculous!

Aaahh well, I really don't blame him. It would have been an awesome get but from what I heard he was always fairly indebted to the Crows and they're playing decent footy and he's playing in a good forward line. His job would be a lot easier over there with success than over here in a shite forward line getting flogged.

Still, we had two years to recruit him and we just didn't. Classic Freo s**t. I'm angry we didn't nab him earlier on (yeah yeah can't wait for the 'well 18 others clubs passed on him twice too' retorts).

Definitely right decision by Mitch , in three years time he can get more if he continue to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back