Toast Elliot Yeo

Remove this Banner Ad

Put him in the middle where he can star!! He's the Bont/Buddy/Danger/Fyffth of our team. You don't see any of them stuck at half back?!
#GoYeoGo

He's not a midfielder, the sooner people realise this, the better.

Why not?
Don't matter for s**t if you can't kick, bust packs, run, and create at the moment in our midfield. What's the worst Yeo could do??
Oh wait we don't need that. We want 'accumulators"
*Watches rest of the league sail past

Why not?
Don't matter for s**t if you can't kick, bust packs, run, and create at the moment in our midfield. What's the worst Yeo could do??
Oh wait we don't need that. We want 'accumulators"
*Watches rest of the league sail past

He doesn't read the play well unless he's behind it.

He doesn't read the play well unless he's behind it.
You can read the play as must as you want but if you can't physically compete it's pointless.
He's prob played max 10mins a game in the center. Pretty hard to show u can read the play if you only get 3 center plays a game to be involved in.
And it's what we desperately need in the center.. explosive instinct. And besides, that's how center clearance works anyway these days. Reflex, instinct, split second decision making. Power, speed.
The lack there of in our midfield is why we've been spanked for years

Amazing year considering how bad his end of 2016 was. He and Kennedy have carried the sorry lot at various times. I still have him as an AA, on the bench though, probably suits him anyway because of his versatility.

I would keep him at half back, I believe he plays at his best there, and we look better with him there. The issue is, as usual, we lack mids, and we have too many half back flankers. Yeo, Duggan, Nelson, Cole, Lamb if he keeps developing there cannot fit into 2 or 3 spots in the team as a half back.

Clearly plays his best footy at HBF.

Which is only an issue because that's becoming a common line for our developing players.
yeah because they can't get in the midfield because of the clogging plods. The way he plays at half back I don't see how it can be said he can't read the play anyway too. He's intercepting and hitting outlet runners (the few we have) all the time

I think Simpson sees him as a midfielder long-term but i just wish we would play him in one position for the entire season. I get the need for flexibility but he's literally played every position bar ruck in his time at the club.

If the club wan't him to transition into a top line midfielder then give him a full summer with the midfield group and actually play him in there for 20+ games.

You can read the play as must as you want but if you can't physically compete it's pointless.
He's prob played max 10mins a game in the center. Pretty hard to show u can read the play if you only get 3 center plays a game to be involved in.
And it's what we desperately need in the center.. explosive instinct. And besides, that's how center clearance works anyway these days. Reflex, instinct, split second decision making. Power, speed.
The lack there of in our midfield is why we've been spanked for years

Half back is more reactive, you can see the play unfold ahead of you and position yourself as required.

A midfielder needs to be proactive, it's far harder for you to take in everything that's going on in a split second and make the right call. (Ala a Sam Mitchell)

Some players simply don't have the footy smarts to play 360 degrees, it's not a knock, it's just fact.

I reckon Sammy will put a lot of hours in with Yeo, Duggan, Sheed and Venables in the coming seasons teaching them the art. I remember my carlton mates has similar opinions about Kuta... couldn't read the play, lost in traffic etc but he came good. Reckon Yeo can too.

I think Simpson sees him as a midfielder long-term but i just wish we would play him in one position for the entire season. I get the need for flexibility but he's literally played every position bar ruck in his time at the club.

If the club wan't him to transition into a top line midfielder then give him a full summer with the midfield group and actually play him in there for 20+ games.
He did play ruck one game lol when one of our rucks got injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson obviously has plans for turning Yeo and Duggan into midfielders in 2018.

The head coach identified emerging pair Elliot Yeo and Liam Duggan for significantly more midfield game-time next season.

"There's no doubt we've been inconsistent in the midfield and the balance of our side is something we're looking at," he said.

"With no ruckman for most of the year with Nic and Scotty Lycett not being available, we probably haven't seen the full potential with what they can do.

"We think we've got some players that can give us some growth with someone like Elliot Yeo getting through the midfield and Liam Duggan who are playing back at the moment.

"No doubt we're going to have to draft and look at the trade period and free agency and get the best out of there."

I don't buy the 'Yeo is too dumb to be a midfielder' line. We've seen him play well in the midfield.

Whether or not he spends all his time there, the fact is we need him to be able to play some midfield minutes. All teams have guys come in from the half back or half forward to provide a chop out, and the best teams have guys who can do it well. At the very least I see him as being a more than capable midfielder in bursts.

Simpson needs to stop ******* with his role for godsake.

He was having an AA season and leading the coaches votes halfway through the year until he got thrown all over the place.

And now yet again, Simpson is banging on about turning him into a midfielder, despite the fact he's playing career best footy off the HBF :noentrysign:

I was a fan of Yeo as a mid. Don't think he will be that. Might be able to do stints each game and called into that role. Imo he would have been one of the best players in the comp this year if he was played off half back every game.

There is a problem with every midfielder being better at HBF but there's no problem with one of them being AA level at HBF and rotating through the middle.

Yeo is best played down back with rotations through the middle. Makes him impossible to match up on, utilises his strengths in: marking, closing speed, attacking mindset, open field to use speed and his ability to float forward for goals.

yeah because they can't get in the midfield because of the clogging plods. The way he plays at half back I don't see how it can be said he can't read the play anyway too. He's intercepting and hitting outlet runners (the few we have) all the time

Had to check to see if this post was 2 years old.

The game these days relies very heavily on having excellent ball-users and attacking players on the HB line.

Sydney's fortunes changed with McVeigh coming back in and doing his thing across HB.
Bulldogs last year benefitted from JJ cutting teams up.
Hawks have swung their best players (Mitchell/Hodge) to the HB knowing the importance of that spot.

I think Yeo can play the odd few minutes in the midfield, but he's a superstar across HB.
He provides run, he provides a contest and his kicking is elite.

Yes we have issues in our midfield, but that doesn't mean fitting a square peg in a round hole.

We need other players/recruits/draftees to take up the slack in midfield.