The positives thread

Allison was a bargain. Could be a real weapon going forward.

We have 3 players from the 2016 draft who were rated as potentially top 5 at some time in their underage year but slipped. Pretty good haul.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have 3 players from the 2016 draft who were rated as potentially top 5 at some time in their underage year but slipped. Pretty good haul.

If you didn't know where they were drafted last year it would hard to put them in their draft order.

Indeed. I thought Rich had a really good year. Didn't think his 'bad' games were all that bad. For mine he plays off halfback for the rest of his career.

I thought tonight his run through the middle was super damaging. I hope he gets more chances in the middle next year.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hello members, long time lurker and don't post very often but thoroughly enjoy the contributions all Lions fans make on this board. I'm just a die hard Lions fan based in Melbourne. Anyway, possibly the wrong place for this but I wanted to share my "positive" of the year, highlighting the fan interaction and professionalism of the club that I observed last weekend. My son was randomly selected -from all Junior members to have attended every Victorian game this year - to be the Junior mascot for the Brisbane Lions at the Lions vs Demons game at the MCG last weekend.

The little fella was given the opportunity (gladly accompanied by me) to go into the rooms before the game and watch the players warm up, get dressed up in Lions playing gear, run out with the players through the banner, and then kick a goal with the help of Dayne Beams (although he was happier with the lollies Dayne gave him). Further to this we were also invited into the rooms after the game to meet the players and get his new jumper signed. The players were willing to give their time to us and interacted openly, even allowing us to interrupt their conversations with family and friends to engage with us. What an amazing experience, one we both will never forget, and are extremely appreciative for being given the opportunity!!

What stood out for me during the day was the effort that went into fan interaction, particularly by the support staff, co-ordinating the Junior mascot and corporates, members forming the guard of honour and just family and friends access. Special thanks goes to Sam Lord and Peter for looking after myself and my son, they were genuine in their endeavours to make us feel welcome and part of the day.

I also noticed the professionalism of the preparation from the players, coaches and support staff. Everything done in warm ups was timed, players weighed themselves often, food and drink provided was monitored and there was plenty of guidance and direction provided to the players. Whilst this may be expected by a professional sporting team, it was noted in conversation that there had been significant improvement in these areas.

All in all, an experience we are so fortunate to have been part of and I would personally like to thank the Brisbane Lions, Sam Lord, Peter and the players ( Lions_Insider ) for making our day so enjoyable. It is these types of experiences that creates a 'positive' culture and ensures we have a member base for years to come.

View attachment 407789

Reading the DailyMail online and have just seen a video of a young Freo fan about the same age as your little Lion, at their game ..... the poor little fella was putting his hand out for a high 5 from the players after the match and not one of them acknowledged him. His nan was trying to get their attention. He was the only Freo fan at that spot.

I felt so sad for him and this is a perfect example of how important it is for player interaction and for the players to actually LOOK at the fans. Glad it wasn't our boys.

Not exactly a positive post, but thought it a follow on to The Mellow Johnies post.....just the difference in approach to fans.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We helped shape the 8. When we were 32 in the last quarter it looked like we were going to lose by 50 then we fought back and only lost by 13. Had that not have happened Melbourne make the 8 rather than Eagles. Maybe the Eagles can give us Jeremy McGovern as a token of their appreciation.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Collingwood have extended bucks contract

in 1998 we won the wooden spoon followed by Collingwood in 99
In 2017 we won the spoon and with this decision Collingwood would have to be favourites for the spoon in 2018

Hippy going to be the next Buddy apparently .
If he is half as good it's a positive !

In good news for you Ceebee

the year buddy has kicked 69 goals in 22 games.
Hipwood has kicked 30 in 20 which if you gross up to 22 games is 33 goals. If you double that we sit at 66. Thats only three goals shy of Hipwood being half as good as buddy!! I think that is pretty close to qualifying as a positive under the previous definition above.

*This post is brought to you by the blynd_freddie school of irrelevant statistics.

Back