Player Watch #14 Callum Mills (c)

Remove this Banner Ad

Callum_Mills_2017.4.jpg

Callum Mills

Callum Mills is one of the best young players in the AFL. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy graduate won the 2016 AFL Rising Star award and was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in three of his four eligible years. Mills is a small defender with uncompromising courage who’s also capable of shifting through the midfield. The New South Welshman was elevated to Sydney’s leadership group during the 2018 pre-season at the age of just 21, and he’s now a member of a five-man leadership panel alongside co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Lance Franklin.

Callum Mills
DOB: 02 April 1997
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #3, 2015 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: North Shore (NSW)

Reminds me of Sam Mitchell with his foot skills and his leadership is Paul Kelly like, fitting he wears 14
You kidding right?

Sam Mitchell is elite on both sides , mills kicking on his preferred is high bombs most of time

I love mills courage and intercepting, he is a talent

Last edited:
You kidding right?

Sam Mitchell is elite on both sides , mills kicking on his preferred is high bombs most of time

He reminds me a bit of ablett snr with some of his freak skills ;)

You kidding right?

He is taking the piss, but most will eat it up.

He might be the best player I've ever seen

You kidding right?

I love mills courage and intercepting, he is a talent
Yeah but Sam Mitchell is a dog!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep cops a fair bit around here and its not deserved

Yeah I think when a player starts their career at such a high standard right out of the gate, people's expectations can be warped. We've seen this with Zak Jones, with Aliir Aliir and seems we're seeing it with Mills now. If it weren't for his Rising Star win which established how great he could potentially be, we wouldn't even bat an eye-lid if he played a sub-par game. Now whenever he plays one it's like he's on the downward slide. Truth is, very few players start on an upward gradient and continue it throughout their careers. Nothing unusual about him having some average games mixed in with his good ones. He's a 21 year old whose played 50 games. The emphasis should be on the amount of good ones he's actually had so far in his young career.

Might not be a bad thing. Most of us want him in the middle anyway. This gives us a chance to arrange a defence without him and when he comes back he could potentially slot into the mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back