Opinion Best 22 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't disagree with what you're saying, just take a different conclusion away from it all.

I just think that improvement in our forwards would help for Point 2, which then helps turn around the I50 differential. I see us losing a lot of momentum at the moment when one of our younger forwards gets out marked on the wing. Ball then comes straight back in fast and we give up another I50 and a goal. Walker clunking those marks in the last few weeks has been really positive.

Improved clearance differentials may not help as much because if we end up bombing it long into the forward line a lack of contested marking makes it that much easier for the opposition's offence to rebound. It definitely would still help though.

Yeah, you make a fair point. Some more marking power on the wings would be a big positive. I think it's comparatively rare that Hipwood gets marked over but he brings it to ground more than marks it. Walker is finding some rhythm, so I think a bit will hinge on Stef (marked well against GC but not as a rule) and Schache or whoever plays as that third forward.

Best 22
FB Gardiner Andrews Mayes
HB Witherden McStay Rich
C McCluggage Rockliff Berry
HF Bastinac Hipwood Robinson
FF Cameron Walker Taylor
FOLL Martin D. Beams Zorko
INT Mathieson Christensen Close Lester

Reserves
FB Robertson Frost Cox
HB Paparone Skinner Cutler
C Lyons Dow C. Beams
HF Clayton Ballenden Bell
FF Allison Schache Keays
FOLL Smith Dawson Barrett
INT Freeman Grewer McInerny William
Eagles Hinge

Pick 1 or 2 Paddy Dow
Pick 14 Ballenden
Pick 18 or 19 Used in Cameron Trade

Interesting ones
Walker- watched the game against melbourne, wow… I was impressed, only bloke in the team that can take a contested grab, a must starter next year (negative is he keeps Schache out)
Cameron and Taylor- Add some much needed pace in that team.

Delist
Harwood
Hammelmenn
Bewick
Jansen
Hanley
Think I still need 2 out if im correct ?

The club wants Hanley and Hammer. Others will be on the outer

Best 22
HB Witherden McStay Rich
FF Cameron Walker Taylor

Reserves
FB Robertson Frost Cox
C Lyons Dow C. Beams
FF Allison Schache Keays
Eagles Hinge

Pick 1 or 2 Paddy Dow
Pick 14 Ballenden

Interesting ones
Walker- watched the game against melbourne, wow… I was impressed, only bloke in the team that can take a contested grab, a must starter next year (negative is he keeps Schache out)

Delist
Harwood
Hammelmenn
Bewick
Jansen
Hanley
Don't think Walker is the ONLY player in our list that can take a contested mark...If true, we are in more trouble than I initially thought. Consistency was something Walker forgot about this year but thankfully looks to have found it over the last few weeks. Pleasing to see him finally play the style of footy everyone said he was capable of. If he can do the same in 2018, I look forward to watching him in the seniors all year.
Hammelman going nowhere. Other players being considered for delisting could be: Close, William, Clayton, Freeman, C.Beams.

Locks: Bundy, MRobbo, Clugg, DBeams, Rich, Martin, Berry, Zorko, McStay, Gardiner, Taylor, Witherden, Hipwood, Andrews and Mayes.

Leaves 7 spots mainly midfield and forward.

Locks: Bundy, MRobbo, Clugg, DBeams, Rich, Martin, Berry, Zorko, McStay, Gardiner, Taylor, Witherden, Hipwood, Andrews and Mayes.

Leaves 7 spots mainly midfield and forward.
Not sure l would have Clugg as a lock for best 22 imo. Still very slight, disposal isn't great either. If everyone was injury free, l would have him just out of the bests but coming in at first opportunity

Not sure l would have Clugg as a lock for best 22 imo. Still very slight, disposal isn't great either. If everyone was injury free, l would have him just out of the bests but coming in at first opportunity

Apart from the 14 I listed who are the other 8 who play ahead of him?

McLuggage is a stronger build than he might appear on t.v...hell be fine next year...good farm boy!

McLuggage is a stronger build than he might appear on t.v...hell be fine next year...good farm boy!

Yeah, I noticed that today. He doesn't look all that slight anymore. He definitely does need to up his tackling, but I think fitness will help that as much as size. In comparison, Mathieson is solid and as aggressive as they come but spent a lot of today jogging along behind play.

In comparison, Mathieson is solid and as aggressive as they come but spent a lot of today jogging along behind play.
He has all season. Not sure if it is fitness, attitude or both, but I reckon that will be his #1 priority to fix up for next season.

Apologies for the intrusion just wanted tos at you guys should be hyped for the future, your list is possibly the best young list in the competition. An admirable effort for a QLD club who was struggling to retain key players a few seasons back.

Forwards are building nicely.
*Hipwood could be the best young key in the comp, such a unique specimen.
*Ballenden A certainty at the end of the year, almost ready made (will lack a bit of aerobic fitness)
*Wouldnt even realistically need to keep Schache should he choose to go, compensation and trade value large.

Midfield youth looking fantastic
*Barrett impressive
*Beams + Beams combo lethal if the can stay on the park.
*Zorko is an absolute gem
*Mathieson is a player I love to hate
*McCluggage looks everything that was promised.
*Would almost trade Rockliff, don't think he's giving you much and your flag chances are still a few years away. His trade would probably being a first round pick, enough to bring in a good young mid.

Rucks
*Perhaps your most concerning line seeing Martin will be done shortly.
*Schache and Hipwood seem a tad light to be first choice.
*Dont mind project Archie though.

Defenders
*Harris Andrews and Alex Witherdon enough said.
*McStay and Gardiner look solid, the former I feel has a whole lot more upside though as KPD.
*Mayes a steady operator.
*Waler a revelation? (Now wish we kept him)

I'd be jumping up and down with kids like that. While I feel guys like Bastinac, Christensen, Close won't feature in further successes, the time will come to get rid of them.

It's really good to see though from your club, QLD is the only place that I feel even need academy and priority selections. Sydney clubs have never had trouble retaining players. Anyway I reckon finals in 4 years and you guys will be lethal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B - Gardiner - Andrews - Mayes
HB - Rich - McStay - Witherden
C - Berry - Beams - Cutler
HF - Taylor - Schache - Walker
F - Christensen - Hipwood - Rockliff
FOLL - Martin - Robinson - Zorko
(Best 4 depending on form) INT - Keays - Bastinac - McCluggage - Paparone - Cox - Mathieson - Lester - Allison - Dawson

- Big year for Oscar and Smith
- Huge need for a small forward
- Midfield depth will be nice. Robinson (hopefully) fully fit will be a relief as he's one who's actually desperate to win the ball in the middle.
- Unsure where to play Rich. Looked very promising as a flanker but went mid in the second half against North and won every clearance...

I still trade away one of our top pick for a good 1on1 body backman who can take the bigger forwards.
Andrews is and will be a star although the monsters are too big for him.
McStay has improved down back this year although again not a great 1on1 body player.

A contested ball player be good who can win centre clearances. See we smashed week after week there.
In tight around the ground we do well. Not in the centre when its more open.

Be interesting with both Robbos playing and Bundy will add something to the forward line. Cameron be a good get

Best 22
HB Witherden McStay Rich
FF Cameron Walker Taylor

Reserves
FB Robertson Frost Cox
C Lyons Dow C. Beams
FF Allison Schache Keays
Eagles Hinge

Pick 1 or 2 Paddy Dow
Pick 14 Ballenden

Interesting ones

Delist
Harwood
Hammelmenn
Bewick
Jansen
Hanley

Interesting that you have Keays playing up forward in the Reserves. He is not a forward. He is a midfielder. Should be developed in his best position.

Midfield youth looking fantastic
*Barrett impressive
*Beams + Beams combo lethal if the can stay on the park.
*Zorko is an absolute gem
*Mathieson is a player I love to hate
*McCluggage looks everything that was promised.
*Would almost trade Rockliff, don't think he's giving you much and your flag chances are still a few years away. His trade would probably being a first round pick, enough to bring in a good young mid.
Might want to add Berry in to the midfield list ;)

Gardiner Andrews Christensen
Whitherden McStay Rich

Zorko Berry McCluggage
Martin DBeams Mathieson

Taylor Hipwood Robinson
Cameron Walker Rockcliff

Lester Mayes Bastinac Robertson

Be great to see a Keays, Lyons or even Barrett push for a midfield spot next year. It would take a lot of pressure off whoever we draft if part of the solution to our midfield issues lies within the club's existing list.

After a season of training and game days, Noble and Fagan would now have a pretty fair idea of the qualities and potential of each player. I would think that we are going to start seeing a fair bit this preseason of more role specific development of some players - something I think that Fagan has spoken about before. He wants players knowing their role and building expertise around that role.

I think we have seen the benefit of that with NRobbo, Rich, McStay and Lewy really starting to flourish in their particular roles.

I think there are a few who really are yet to define their roles: Keays, Barrett, Cedric, CBeams if he stays, Bastinac to some degree. Keays seems destined for the midfield but he has some work to do, Barrett seems to belong up forward but can he deliver enough. Rocky might begin to transition to more forward than mid if he stays.

It seems like Walker and Lester are the fixers who go where needed during games.

I think this preseason will be really interesting for a few players and their long term roles in the team. Some might find that they have some fair competition for a place.

Interesting that you have Keays playing up forward in the Reserves. He is not a forward. He is a midfielder. Should be developed in his best position.
Absolutely right, can be confusing cos that's where he plays in the 1s to make up for our overwhelming lack of a decent small forward.

I like keays, he has a hard edge which we also don't have enough of. Hope he gets a run at it ahead of guys like c beams next year

Feel like we need to change up our centre clearances. Beams, Rocky and whoever else we had in there just didn't work. We lost so many centre clearances it was crazy which directly reflected on the inside 50 differential. We need to think outside of the box. Berry, Matho and some speed (christensen, Taylor or Cameron maybe).

Gardiner mcstay Mayes
Rich Andrews Witherden
Taylor D.Beams Bastinac
Christensen Walker Berry
Robinson Hipwood Cox
Martin Rockcliff Zorko

McCluggage Robertson C.Beams Mathieson

Feel like we need to change up our centre clearances. Beams, Rocky and whoever else we had in there just didn't work. We lost so many centre clearances it was crazy which directly reflected on the inside 50 differential. We need to think outside of the box. Berry, Matho and some speed (christensen, Taylor or Cameron maybe).

You realise Beams and Rocky were playing with some serious pain? Rocky was averaging a lousy 9.8 clearances pre injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back