List Mgmt. 2017 Contract Status (Seppo's Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Now we just need Crozier and I am happy.

Taylor - Can you add Grey to the 1st page. Let us assume the below is correct for the rookies.

I think all the rookies are only contracted for one year...

2017 - Taylin Duman - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Luke Strnadica - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Matthew Uebergang - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Ryan Nyhuis - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Brady Grey - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Josh Deluca - 1yr rookie contract

Now we just need Crozier and I am happy.

Taylor - Can you add Grey to the 1st page. Let us assume the below is correct for the rookies.

I think all the rookies are only contracted for one year...

2017 - Taylin Duman - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Luke Strnadica - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Matthew Uebergang - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Ryan Nyhuis - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Brady Grey - 1yr rookie contract
2017 - Josh Deluca - 1yr rookie contract
I would think that Duman (based on the PC) is safe, as is Nyhuis. I hope Nads gets more time and I think he will.

Ueber (unlucky so far), Josh and Brady must be nervous. I think we will have enough people to move on next year that at least 2 of them get to stay on in some capacity.

After the draft I'm planning to create a superthread that will continue for all time, a pretty little format that will be colour coordinated and easy to use.

We will have a big update of it then.

I'm just deciding between whether to list the players by their;
Years of contract remaining or
First by their position, then years of contract remaining or
By position, then age, then how many years remaining on their contract

The further down we go down the more enlightening our list position becomes. A glance will show big age gaps in areas of the ground.

I daydream about having the ability to have buttons at the top with 2017 - 2018 - 2019 that people could click and see what our side looks like in that year assuming the code can extrapolate the progression of young players in their respective positions to a point where they take over from players who have retired or their contract has run out.

More of a gimmick than anything but it would form the base for a draft game where people could choose who to pick in the draft and project our squad with those players, perhaps even choosing a type for the following years drafts. Letting someone decide to replace half the list in two years, I'd need to work out the odds of 18 year olds drafted in each round succeeding to give a more accurate representation for that draft, but it would be a fun little thing.

Personally I'd find the back end data more interesting, such as the maths behind whether a player over 190cm is likely to succeed taken after pick X, how does that change when the player drafted is older etc. Completely unreliable nuances of drafting players who have far more exposed form and maturity.

I'll probably just list our squad by position, how old they are and the year they are contracted to.

After the draft I'm planning to create a superthread that will continue for all time, a pretty little format that will be colour coordinated and easy to use.

We will have a big update of it then.

I'm just deciding between whether to list the players by their;
Years of contract remaining or
First by their position, then years of contract remaining or
By position, then age, then how many years remaining on their contract

The further down we go down the more enlightening our list position becomes. A glance will show big age gaps in areas of the ground.

I daydream about having the ability to have buttons at the top with 2017 - 2018 - 2019 that people could click and see what our side looks like in that year assuming the code can extrapolate the progression of young players in their respective positions to a point where they take over from players who have retired or their contract has run out.

More of a gimmick than anything but it would form the base for a draft game where people could choose who to pick in the draft and project our squad with those players, perhaps even choosing a type for the following years drafts. Letting someone decide to replace half the list in two years, I'd need to work out the odds of 18 year olds drafted in each round succeeding to give a more accurate representation for that draft, but it would be a fun little thing.

Personally I'd find the back end data more interesting, such as the maths behind whether a player over 190cm is likely to succeed taken after pick X, how does that change when the player drafted is older etc. Completely unreliable nuances of drafting players who have far more exposed form and maturity.

I'll probably just list our squad by position, how old they are and the year they are contracted to.
Is cox a fwd or def? Blakely back or mid? Etc etc. I would avoid positions personally as they tend to change somewhat. I think listing first by contract expiry, then by age would be good. Just my two cents

Is cox a fwd or def? Blakely back or mid? Etc etc. I would avoid positions personally as they tend to change somewhat. I think listing first by contract expiry, then by age would be good. Just my two cents
Utility .

So, as of today, those on the list with no contract (I think):

Taberner
Sheridan
Crozier
Griffin
Ballantyne
Suban
Ibbotson
Dawson

Johnson
Clarke
Balic
Collins
Yarran

The way I see it we there isn't one player on this list that is vital, and not one (except Balic who looks gone) likely to get any better, yet we can't get rid of all of them at once. I would keep Ballas, Griff and MJ hanging since they are the only ones you wouldn't get a trade for in a million years and we can re-sign them for one year as late as we want. I'd flog every other one on this list around and hope we can get some picks, trading out as many as possible. Whatever's left I guess will decide the fate of Ballas/Griff/MJ e.g if we can't get a trade for Croz, keep him and Ballas goes.

Last edited:
Tabs and Crozier on 2yr deals.

See if we can get a late pick for Suban, Sherro, Collins and Balic.

Delist - Johnson, Ballas, Griff, Clarke.
We can't delist MJ or Ballas. I think the term you are looking for is "retired".

Shame they both openly say they want to stick around - could make for some awkward messaging. They should have just done the noble thing and retired on their own accord. Now they're just gonna cause a rift amongst the fans. If they are "delisted", some fans will be angry at the club. If they stay on, other fans will be angry.

Ballantyne seriously needs to move on. He was lucky the club let him continue his career this year and that he got paid for it. He's doing no one good service staying around. If he doesn't do what Ibbotson did- a player who has more reason to go on then him then he's a selfish person. I seriously hope part of Ross's comment about people playing for a premiership and people playing to get paid was a low-key and somewhat directed call at the players in Ballantynes' situation.

I acknowledge their contribution to the club and the time they served even if it didn't come with the ultimate success but seriously we already wasted all of 2016 and parts of 17 being nice to our players. Time for the youth and future to come first and be the only priority. If you're not a key factor in the next 24 months in any capacity should be gone. Johnson and Sandilands I can at least still see being involved.

So, as of today, those on the list with no contract (I think):

Taberner
Sheridan
Crozier
Griffin
Ballantyne
Suban
Ibbotson
Dawson

Johnson
Clarke
Balic
Collins
Yarran

The way I see it we there isn't one player on this list that is vital, and not one (except Balic who looks gone) likely to get any better, yet we can't get rid of all of them at once. I would keep Ballas, Griff and MJ hanging since they are the only ones you wouldn't get a trade for in a million years and we can re-sign them for one year as late as we want. I'd flog every other one on this list around and hope we can get some picks, trading out as many as possible. Whatever's left I guess will decide the fate of Ballas/Griff/MJ e.g if we can't get a trade for Croz, keep him and Ballas goes.

My "gut" tells me that Collins, Balic, Clarke are gone from the main list (making 6 in total) and Deluca, Uber and even Nyhuis are in trouble of the rookie list.

I think the rest will be retained which is sort of a late change of heart on Taberner and Griff. We would be mad to get rid of Taberner from a contested marking point of view and we probably need to keep one more ruckman.

So 9 delisted in total for mine.

We can't delist MJ or Ballas. I think the term you are looking for is "retired".

Shame they both openly say they want to stick around - could make for some awkward messaging. They should have just done the noble thing and retired on their own accord. Now they're just gonna cause a rift amongst the fans. If they are "delisted", some fans will be angry at the club. If they stay on, other fans will be angry.
both Ballas and Johnno are in Ross's plans for one more year I suspect in helping the development of the younger players. Won't be a problem getting 8-10 vacancies without them going just yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think all are being hard on Ballas given his fitness interuption with injuries ....and our disjointed forward line setup this last year... that said he does have value... other clubs will be interested in him.

Yeah I think you are probably correct that if Johno wants another year they'll offer him on and quite possibly Ballas too.
Ross has been fairly consistent in describing Ballas' predicament this season as having only just completed his preseason.

both Ballas and Johnno are in Ross's plans for one more year I suspect in helping the development of the younger players. Won't be a problem getting 8-10 vacancies without them going just yet
I don't mind them sticking around as long as they are both prepared to play significant time in the WAFL IF we have young blokes ready to go (Cox or A.Pearce for MJ, yet to be determined fwd pocket for Ballas). It's just neither have ever played large amounts of WAFL whilst being on the list. Same goes for my buddy Spurr. Senior players can drive standards at training and provide some on field leadership, but by the second half of next year they should be helping out in the WAFL.

Even then, a WAFL team with MJ, Ballas, Spurr, D.Pearce, Griffin (if still around) seems too stacked with oldies.

Yeah I think you are probably correct that if Johno wants another year they'll offer him on and quite possibly Ballas too.
Ross has been fairly consistent in describing Ballas' predicament this season as having only just completed his preseason.

Ballas looked cooked last year, thats why we didn't give him 2 years. I haven't seen anything from him this year to change my mind.

Taberner- 1/2 yrs
Sheridan - trade
Crozier - 2 yrs
Griffin - retire
Ballantyne - retire
Suban - trade / fa
Ibbotson
Dawson

Johnson - 1 yr and draft more kpp's
Clarke - 1 yr if fit otherwise cut
Balic - trade
Collins - 1 yr and draft more kpp's
Yarran

Geez there's enough dead wood on that list to build a Noah's ark. You could almost cut that entire list and it wouldn't change our chances next year. Says a lot about the state of our list.

I'd say 8-9 changes from the main list and a couple more from the rookie.

We don't have the high draft picks to have a large cull of players that some of you are calling for its that plan and simple. The trading of players that some of you are calling for is purely dreaming . Goold Coast and Brisbane are maybe the only Clubs that could be interested in any of those named but you are kiding your self if you think we will cut 8 or 9 players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back