Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

The attrition rates across all sports are nasty through the teenage years,but I'm not sure they track the elite talent separately and I suspect more of them would be retained.Particularly those with quality, experienced mentors and access to development programmes I'm guessing.
Not always a linear thing either.
We had a kid at school set new 100,200,400 metre sprint records in year 10.
Big strong kid about 185cm and 80+ kg at 15.Ran like the wind and an all round sportsman.
Broke both legs in a motorbike accident the following year.Then returned in year 12 and reset all his own records.
He then embraced some of the available distractions and was lost to all sport and athletics.
Probably had a great life:cool:.
It can be astonishing to witness these sorts of stories growing up can't it?
At the risk of getting nostalgic.. I remember growing up and going to school with a kid who displayed the same prodigious talents, he used to blitz all comers in inter-school carnivals over 100m by a good 10 metres, his dad was our weekend footy coach growing up, his dad was also Subiaco FC royalty.. or at least that's what he'd have you know, and since then I read has been an AFL player agent (which might give it away). But his son would win the leagues B&F's every year etc..
I had absolutely no doubt in my mind given his pedigree and athleticism i'd see him in the AFL one day, but he barely gave a yelp in the WAFL for 3 years and that was the end of it.
Given his dad's personality and standing - my guess is his dad probably pushed him too hard and it went pear-shaped - which i'm sure is also a pretty common story in the past with kids in the colts system. The enjoyment aspect gets left behind pretty young, im sure particularly so when your dad's so closely invested in your time with the game.

Yep plenty of parents involved in sport who have little idea what their actual affect is.
Now there is a fully professional industry generating all sorts of job opportunities,you'd think there'd be more quality operators in the system these days along with better pathways leading to the lucrative rewards at the end of it all....
meaning we'll retain more of the elite kids,but I think I'm trying to talk myself into something.
Pretty sure the club will realise this academy stuff can be a motherlode of talent and will allocate appropriate loot and expertise.
I think we've got both.

What % points discount do we get on our academy zone players? It's not like the old f/s system where you could use your pick 36 (end of 2nd round pick) to gazump another team who might have pick 19 (start of round 2 pick) or is it?
If, for example, academy players only attracted a 20% discount to their zone club, then we wouldn't be able to outbid another team who were willing to part with pick 19 if we only had pick 36 - is that how it works?
Geez the AFL draft system gets convoluted

On A1601 using BigFooty.com mobile app

What % points discount do we get on our academy zone players? It's not like the old f/s system where you could use your pick 36 (end of 2nd round pick) to gazump another team who might have pick 19 (start of round 2 pick) or is it?
If, for example, academy players only attracted a 20% discount to their zone club, then we wouldn't be able to outbid another team who were willing to part with pick 19 if we only had pick 36 - is that how it works?
Geez the AFL draft system gets convoluted

We can use bulk picks to make up the points, a team can also go into debt by using points from the following years draft.

If you want your academy player you can get them, if you're willing to pony up the points. Hopefully nobody bids on Carter until after our 1st rounder so we can use later picks to make the points up and get an extra 1st round pick.

Yep - that's what I thought.
I get the impression that some posters think Carter & those twins are a fait accompli because they're in our academy zone. In fact, if they're any good, we could well miss out on them if there's other players we'd prefer around the same part of the draft. It gives us a slight advantage - but doesn't guarantee us anything.

I get the impression that some posters think Carter & those twins are a fait accompli because they're in our academy zone. In fact, if they're any good, we could well miss out on them if there's other players we'd prefer around the same part of the draft. It gives us a slight advantage - but doesn't guarantee us anything.

If they are good we don't miss out on them. We can buy the draft pick they are bid on with bulk third round picks.

Not sure this is true. Generally academy and F/S are only missed because another teams rates the player MUCH higher than the academy/FS club. If the club rates the players, especially if they are top 10 or 20 players they will get on our list unless somebody bids way more than we think he is worth.

If say the Walker boys are both top 5 (yes unlikely but for example) then I guarantee we match with whatever we have to in order to get them. It may involve future picks or something but we would get it done. If they are not elite talents then it probably doesn't matter as much if we miss. I still think they are likely to be on our list if they make it to the AFL.

No not really.

The academy system does guarantee us that if we want them we can have them. The ony way we don't get them is if we don't want them.

The club would only match bids for Carter if they thought it was worth it.

Lets say he gets bid on earlier than expected. There's say two picks before their next selection and Freo rate say 4-5 guys higher than Carter (would make it less likely to match if this list included local boys). If this happens, especially in the first round, the club would probably trust their judgement and draft who they believe is the better player a few picks later.

I think most of us are hoping he falls in the mid to late first round (assuming we don't make finals) so we can use our first rounder traditionally and then get Carter for our second rounder and some junk picks to make up the points. Of course in that scenario it's difficult to see freo overlooking him.

I think the second more favourable scenario looks more likely ATM assuming he's that level of talent.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well, including the 20% discount does make a significant difference. I also think there is an inherent disincentive for clubs to cross bid on Academy players, unless they have become bargains. The player would have some commitment to their Academy club as well, and may be a reluctant recruit. Having said that, can't draft them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have the time or skill to edit a video of the grand final the Walkers appeared in today at Subi. It would be nice for everyone to see what they can actually do, and I just don't have those editing skills. I won't get the vid until midweek. PM me.

I could explain what they offer but it's best to see them in action. They didn't rack up huge numbers but in junior footy when you are playing 15 minute quarters, it's not easy to get a lot of possessions, what they do do is quality.

BTW I was speaking to an Eagles Official (who doesn't know my Freo allegiance) and he said that Freo's next gen academy is very much superior to theirs.

He couldn't believe how good the twins were and was gutted when I told him that they were a part of Freo's NGA.

Does anyone have the time or skill to edit a video of the grand final the Walkers appeared in today at Subi. It would be nice for everyone to see what they can actually do, and I just don't have those editing skills. I won't get the vid until midweek. PM me.

I could explain what they offer but it's best to see them in action. They didn't rack up huge numbers but in junior footy when you are playing 15 minute quarters, it's not easy to get a lot of possessions, what they do do is quality.

BTW I was speaking to an Eagles Official (who doesn't know my Freo allegiance) and he said that Freo's next gen academy is very much superior to theirs.

He couldn't believe how good the twins were and was gutted when I told him that they were a part of Freo's NGA.
If they're 14 does that make it the 2021 draft?

After the first round the discount really kicks in

Bid and what pick you need to match

Bid Matched Difference
1 2 1
2 4 2
3 6 3
4 7 3
5 8 3
6 10 4
7 11 4
8 12 4
9 14 5
10 15 5

Another would massive have to rate a f/s or academy player more than the original club and the bidding club also, and have extreme confidence the player would stay.

Can the academy boys train with Freo and play Peel colts before their draft year?

Salim the Walker twins are from East Freo I wouldn't want to subject them with Peel colts training in Mandurah 2x a week, it will mess up their school and social lives.

East Freo has a decent junior program.

With the NGA they will already be doing training at Cockburn anyway.

Last edited:
Salim the Walker twins are from East Freo I wouldn't want to subject them with Peel colts training in Mandurah 2x a week, it will mess up their school and social lives.

East Freo has a decent junior program.

With the NGA they will already be doing training at Cockburn anyway.

I'm talking about their last year before the draft, their 18's year. I remember reading that the Sydney Gen boys trained with Sydney and played for their affiliate club.

I'm talking about their last year before the draft, their 18's year. I remember reading that the Sydney Gen boys trained with Sydney and played for their affiliate club.
Probably another consideration for the WA AFL teams having their own WAFL club as opposed to affiliations. They'll probably train with Freo (rather than Peel) like Carter did. Hopefully we'll see Liam Henry at training for a week or so this coming pre-season as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back