Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll admit I took the piss outta the lad early on but he really did improve as the year went on. When I went to the pre season training camp up here on the Sunny Coast I noted how he moved well and really seemed like a leader directing the play (pretty sure I put that in the report I wrote up). He was inconsistent and a turnover merchant early on but he has settled and seems to be best 22 now. I hope he goes from strength to strength

Gotta say, he looked as though he got better as year went on & was a justified best 22.

Field/goal kicking is lethal!

Started in the back line and struggled a little. Moved to the HFF and would be top 5 in the BNF since he moved there. Just nails anything around 50m regardless of pressure. I'm starting to take a liking to the melkman

Started in the back line and struggled a little. Moved to the HFF and would be top 5 in the BNF since he moved there. Just nails anything around 50m regardless of pressure. I'm starting to take a liking to the melkman
I started to like him about 6 weeks ago, not I'm developing a man-crush ... I did not see this coming at all, when he was dropped to the VFL and got suspended down there, I thought that may have been the end of him.

I started to like him about 6 weeks ago, not I'm developing a man-crush ... I did not see this coming at all, when he was dropped to the VFL and got suspended down there, I thought that may have been the end of him.
I thought he was going to be involved in our cheap physical stuff but he has stayed away from it. Looks matured and settled now. Remember hearing in the pre season his family and the suspension had helped him see clarity

Really happy with how Jake has come on for you guys this year. I understand the booing of ex players and the like, but for all of the players who the club took years of worry free football away from, both still at Essendon and at other clubs, I wish them nothing but the best.
When he was first recruited Jake offered so much potential but never fully reached it with us. In the second half of the season he really seems to have developed his game to be a much more damaging player. Here's hoping Goody and your coaching group can keep him on the upwards trend in the future.

live226906_clutch.jpg

Horribly over-used term.

At the start of the year I was unsure whether this guy was worth the second round pick or the reported 400k a year for four years, but if he can play like he did in the last 7 weeks for the next couple of years then he will have been well worth it

Melksham is almost the perfect high half forward. I can't remember a Melbourne player who hits them as flush as him from 40-60m out under pressure. He also tackles and pressures and gets the ball 15-20 times. Pretty good one on one player as well and even if he doesn't win he doesn't lose. Same as Hibberd he just looks like an all rounded proper AFL player. He would be top 5 in our BNF since he was brought back in on the HFF

Melksham is almost the perfect high half forward. I can't remember a Melbourne player who hits them as flush as him from 40-60m out under pressure. He also tackles and pressures and gets the ball 15-20 times. Pretty good one on one player as well and even if he doesn't win he doesn't lose. Same as Hibberd he just looks like an all rounded proper AFL player. He would be top 5 in our BNF since he was brought back in on the HFF

Is he good one on one though? He's okay - but hardly a one of his better attributes.

Is he good one on one though? He's okay - but hardly a one of his better attributes.
He is a really good one on one mark

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Not in technique or skill but he's bloody strong for his size so seems to be able to get space on the lead or going for a mark. Better than any of our mids apart from Trac

He is a really good one on one mark

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He took three contested marks the whole year.

Not in technique or skill but he's bloody strong for his size so seems to be able to get space on the lead or going for a mark. Better than any of our mids apart from Trac

I've always thought he was willing but not particularly strong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He took three contested marks the whole year.

I've always thought he was willing but not particularly strong

I thought there was something to work with going forward considering he was picked as HBF and moved forward for the first time in his career.

I thought there was something to work with going forward considering he was picked as HBF and moved forward for the first time in his career.

Maybe, but I think at his age he's not going to be outstanding 1v1 ever - Petracca is a natural 1v1 and was since day dot.

Maybe, but I think at his age he's not going to be outstanding 1v1 ever - Petracca is a natural 1v1 and was since day dot.

I don't disagree with ya mate just trying to find some positives in the smoldering ashes of our season

Given everyone seems to have jumped off the Milkshakes hate train, I'm going to have to hate him even more. For balance and fairness.

Given everyone seems to have jumped off the Milkshakes hate train, I'm going to have to hate him even more. For balance and fairness.

The Fox News approach

Another good showing from Melksham! Keep this kind of form up for the season proper and Ill be willing to admit the second round pick may not have been overs after all!

Another good showing from Melksham! Keep this kind of form up for the season proper and Ill be willing to admit the second round pick may not have been overs after all!

Jury is still out on Melksham, in my opinion. He's also very pasty, which gives him a shifty and untrustworthy look. It's likely many people on this board have been duped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back