Prediction It's time to go...

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Troy Chaplin.

He hadn't got 'it' to work for any of this year. Yes, we did have Jesse and others out for parts of the year, but at times we were abysmal with our use I50. Partly, you may blame poor disposal, but ultimately it's a poor set up forward of centre that often results in the poor execution.

Too many times I feel as if our mids didn't know where to put it when going I50 and I'm not sure if the forwards knew what they were doing either in how the lead.

For so much of the year we used the footy so well through defence and the midfield at stoppages, too the point where we looked a classy unit. But too many times it all came to a holt as we got to that 90-50 metres out, that final kick just didn't seem to work. Either all forwards would be moving or none of them would be, the balance is not there and I think this falls back to poor coaching.

Discuss.

I think Watts is close to gone. It would've been great if he came back and played good footy and led us to finals etc. But, there reality is I just want to be a good football side. F*** the romance, let's just get players who look like they want to win. If he stays he stays, if goes I won't bat and eyelid.

I think Watts is close to gone. It would've been great if he came back and played good footy and led us to finals etc. But, there reality is I just want to be a good football side. F*** the romance, let's just get players who look like they want to win. If he stays he stays, if goes I won't bat and eyelid.
my sense of romance is gone too- Tyson, Tmac, Watts, Salem, Weidman, Harmes should all be on the trade table- if some of them can help us get a deal done for Lever or hopefully a Kelly lets pull the trigger. I also never want to see Bernie Vince in a Melbourne jumper again.

Oliver, Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Jetta, Hibberd, Hunt and Petracca are the only players that are untouchable. The only players I would be upset if we traded. Everyone else as far as I'm concerned could go if it helps the club move forward. The rest are either fringe players or have limited ability. Goodwin and McCartney are the only off field staff that are untouchable IMO. The rest should seriously be looked at. Chaplin is still mind boggling to me and what he is in charge of is clearly the worst part of our gameplan.

The NT can f*** off as well. I want the club to come out and say that it hasn't worked. It hasn't worked on field, and besides some extra $$$ in the bank, it hasn't generated new fans or any momentum like Hawks have done in Tasmania. We lose most of the games we play there, and we play like gimps for the rest of the season afterwards. Time to go...

As far as singling out players who can go? Vince can retire. Too slow and makes far too many errors now by foot, which was such a weapon for him. Tyson the turnover king can go IMO too. Offers contested ball which we have plenty of already who do it better, and his skills are far too costly. Watts. Yes he can kick the ball. But what else does he offer? Clearly doesn't get enough of it, he's not hard enough at the ball or his opponent, and he's obviously lazy on and off the field. And the one thing you need as a player in the modern game, is pressure acts, and he is bloody useless at it. Trengove, White, Kennedy, Spencer, Wagner, Garland, Hulett and McKenna can all be moved on IMO. They offer us nothing moving forward. Kent, Vandengerg, Harmes and JKH are on thin ice also. Need big improvements from them next season to stay on the list.

We clearly still have a lot of dead wood on the list and need to fill some gaps. Whitfield and Lever in the off season please!!

Oliver, Gawn, Hogan, Jones, Viney, Jetta, Hibberd, Hunt and Petracca are the only players that are untouchable. The only players I would be upset if we traded. Everyone else as far as I'm concerned could go if it helps the club move forward. The rest are either fringe players or have limited ability. Goodwin and McCartney are the only off field staff that are untouchable IMO. The rest should seriously be looked at. Chaplin is still mind boggling to me and what he is in charge of is clearly the worst part of our gameplan.

The NT can f*** off as well. I want the club to come out and say that it hasn't worked. It hasn't worked on field, and besides some extra $$$ in the bank, it hasn't generated new fans or any momentum like Hawks have done in Tasmania. We lose most of the games we play there, and we play like gimps for the rest of the season afterwards. Time to go...

As far as singling out players who can go? Vince can retire. Too slow and makes far too many errors now by foot, which was such a weapon for him. Tyson the turnover king can go IMO too. Offers contested ball which we have plenty of already who do it better, and his skills are far too costly. Watts. Yes he can kick the ball. But what else does he offer? Clearly doesn't get enough of it, he's not hard enough at the ball or his opponent, and he's obviously lazy on and off the field. And the one thing you need as a player in the modern game, is pressure acts, and he is bloody useless at it. Trengove, White, Kennedy, Spencer, Wagner, Garland, Hulett and McKenna can all be moved on IMO. They offer us nothing moving forward. Kent, Vandengerg, Harmes and JKH are on thin ice also. Need big improvements from them next season to stay on the list.

We clearly still have a lot of dead wood on the list and need to fill some gaps. Whitfield and Lever in the off season please!!

So 15 can bugger off and you offer up two replacements. Do you have a list of 13 or so more viable replacements?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont think our forward coach was/is to blame. Its the mentality through the whole ******* club. weak

Just had look at the MFC website to check the line coaches: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/club/people/staff-members

My first impression was, "Wow, that's a lot of staff", but if you look harder there's only 10 footy department coaches (not including Casey), 4 of whom are nominated as something to do with development (maybe that's an area for another rant?):
- Simon Goodwin - Senior Coach
- Brendan McCartney - Player/Coach Performance Manager
- Matthew Egan - Head of Player Development
- Jade Rawlings - Defensive Coach
- Ben Mathews - Stoppage Coach
- Troy Chaplin - Offensive Coordinator
- Max Rooke- Development Coach
- Craig Jennings - Game Analyst & Education Coordinator
- Daniel McPherson - Senior Development Coach
- Greg Stafford - Ruck Coach

Given that even the analyst, nutritionist, "Load Manager" are named, then I assume that this is in fact the entire list and there aren't other that have been left out. The reason I've looked harder at this is because I've always though, "Surely you wouldn't have a mediocre key back as your forward line coach - 'Offensive Coordinator' must mean something else, possibly the offensive transition out of defense, and there's actually someone else who handles the forward line. But no, it looks like Chaplin is definitely the man.

Now, I don't like to speak ill of individuals on the 'net, I try to think what that person's mum would feel if she read that sort of stuff, but take Chaplin back to his home town of Maryborough, beat him with a 9-iron, piss on him and then chuck him down a mineshaft. Our forward 50 entries have been our single biggest cluster**** all year.

I dug a bit deeper, wondering what his credentials were, what made us decide that he was the man for the job. Turns out he spent some time in the Richmond coaching box and did some development work with Sturt while playing with Port, and Oakleigh Chargers while with Richmond. My apologies Troy, Allan Jeans would be envious of such a glittering preparation for coaching in the AFL. It further turns out that he had applied for a job at Richmond and was waiting on a reply, I imagine it was actually a bit of a 'don't call us, we'll call you' situation, when his old buddy from his early Power playing days, Josh Mahoney, gave him a call and wanted to have a chat. A couple of days later Mahoney offered him the job and Chaplin jumped at the chance.

What sort of half-arsed, unprofessional, job-for-mates, ******* joke of a process is that?! This is just the sort of s**t that had this ****** club on its ******* knees just a few years ago, and something that I had thought Roos and Jackson had turned around.

MELBOURNE 2017:
1st in the league for total disposals
4th for inside 50 entries
12th for marks inside 50
12th for total scoring shots
There's something wrong with this picture. But we don't need to look at the stats to know that. All ****** season we've bemoaned the bombs to the out-number and the massive congestion as the alternative. The times where our entries have looked good and clean have been so few that I actually think they've been accidental, or perhaps players playing on instinct rather than trying to execute the ****ed up plan.

Need to be absolutely ruthless (obviously). In that regard Jack Watts should be traded. I like him as a bloke, he even made to big improvements this year, before falling away again. He has never been/will never be a ruthless, win-at-all-costs type player.

Obviously Trengove is finished too, injury has ruined him, but I felt even when he was fit he was stuggled to cope mentally with the game - these guys have been on the list for nearly a decade, unfortunately it hasn't worked out.

Look back at the players who came to the club in late 2000's, when the club was in free-fall and arguably losing games deliberately - Watts, Morton, Petterd, Grimes, Strauss, Trengove, Gysberts, Blease, Tuompas (I'm omitting Scully, who's always seemed pretty confident). I don't all believe these players were "duds" - most of them were impressive juniors, albeit they needed to developed for the rigours of AFL footy. Some of them even had impressive starts to their AFL careers. These were just school-boys who were thrown into the deep end without the proper development or guidance and none of them have really recovered in my view. We have invested heavily in Watts and Trengove because of their high draft pick status, but otherwise we would have parted ways with them long ago.

my sense of romance is gone too- Tyson, Tmac, Watts, Salem, Weidman, Harmes should all be on the trade table- if some of them can help us get a deal done for Lever or hopefully a Kelly lets pull the trigger. I also never want to see Bernie Vince in a Melbourne jumper again.
That's the spirit!

Weidman, what the *? 2 seasons and 20 goals? Will he ever come on? We have Pederson anyway so he's clearly surplus to our requirements. Salem- Top 10 pick, still getting dropped. Gone. James Harmes, aka the poor man's Bugg: 4 times as many tattoos, 0 percent of his skill. De-list.

Definitely looking a bit old too, Vince obviously past it, Lewis is taking a spot of someone of a future NS/Brownlow medalist. Jones has fallen away dramatically too, as much as I hate to admit it. Thanks for the memories captain.

Gawn's the "one season wonder" we all knew he was going to be. Maybe Stefan Martin wants to come back?

Viney's s**t at English, and is prone to injury. He can gagf. ANB needs a moustache, if he doesn't grow one in the off-season he can stay at Casey.
Oliver's going to be Melbourne'd anyway; trade value is as high as it's gonna get. Bought low, sell high- maybe we can get some of that "outside run" people are always talking about? Has red hair too so that'll surely add to his value (it's "exotic").

JKH I'd keep for "novelty" factor- he was on Neighbours you know, maybe he could go on the Batchelor or something like that in the off-season to drive membership sales. Or, alternatively, he could work on his acting skills AND TRY AND RESEMBLE A ******* FOOTBALLER when he comes back.

O'mac- get on the steriods or * off.

T'mac- or as I'm going to call him from now on, "Nappies". He can stay actually, I like the word "nappies". Could be a good catchprhase there. Can't trade everyone anyhow.

Pig Hibberd is a little old too- sorry mate- but Milksham's my mate so he can stay.

Did I miss anyone?

Just had look at the MFC website to check the line coaches: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/club/people/staff-members

My first impression was, "Wow, that's a lot of staff", but if you look harder there's only 10 footy department coaches (not including Casey), 4 of whom are nominated as something to do with development (maybe that's an area for another rant?):

Given that even the analyst, nutritionist, "Load Manager" are named, then I assume that this is in fact the entire list and there aren't other that have been left out. The reason I've looked harder at this is because I've always though, "Surely you wouldn't have a mediocre key back as your forward line coach - 'Offensive Coordinator' must mean something else, possibly the offensive transition out of defense, and there's actually someone else who handles the forward line. But no, it looks like Chaplin is definitely the man.

Now, I don't like to speak ill of individuals on the 'net, I try to think what that person's mum would feel if she read that sort of stuff, but take Chaplin back to his home town of Maryborough, beat him with a 9-iron, piss on him and then chuck him down a mineshaft. Our forward 50 entries have been our single biggest cluster**** all year.

I dug a bit deeper, wondering what his credentials were, what made us decide that he was the man for the job. Turns out he spent some time in the Richmond coaching box and did some development work with Sturt while playing with Port, and Oakleigh Chargers while with Richmond. My apologies Troy, Allan Jeans would be envious of such a glittering preparation for coaching in the AFL. It further turns out that he had applied for a job at Richmond and was waiting on a reply, I imagine it was actually a bit of a 'don't call us, we'll call you' situation, when his old buddy from his early Power playing days, Josh Mahoney, gave him a call and wanted to have a chat. A couple of days later Mahoney offered him the job and Chaplin jumped at the chance.

What sort of half-arsed, unprofessional, job-for-mates, ******* joke of a process is that?! This is just the sort of s**t that had this ****** club on its ******* knees just a few years ago, and something that I had thought Roos and Jackson had turned around.

MELBOURNE 2017:
12th for marks inside 50
There's something wrong with this picture. But we don't need to look at the stats to know that. All ****** season we've bemoaned the bombs to the out-number and the massive congestion as the alternative. The times where our entries have looked good and clean have been so few that I actually think they've been accidental, or perhaps players playing on instinct rather than trying to execute the ****ed up plan.
Excellent rant Sir Hugh, well played.

MELBOURNE 2017:
12th for marks inside 50
Where's the sports psychologist?! Seriously! Wtf??? We are the most psychologically fragile sports team in history and don't have a ******* sports psychologist?! That just surely cannot be right...

Just checked this out on the club website. We have 46 staff in our football department. Guess how many sports psychologists? Hint: It's the same as the number of tackles we laid in the first ten minutes of our last game. That's an outrageous and unforgivable omission. We genuinely are a ******* joke of a club.

For anyone suggesting delist.... there has to be a viable replacement.
Rubbish.

It's called a "high risk high reward" strategy. Delist everyone and go back to the draft.

Think of it like a game of poker- you draw five cards and sometimes you can just tell that what you've got isn't worth s**t so you may as well just fold and see what the next hand gives you. That's what I'm thinking now anyway.

Last edited:
That's the spirit!

Weidman, what the ****? 2 seasons and 20 goals? Will he ever come on? We have Pederson anyway so he's clearly surplus to our requirements. Salem- Top 10 pick, still getting dropped. Gone. James Harmes, aka the poor man's Bugg: 4 times as many tattoos, 0 percent of his skill. De-list.

Definitely looking a bit old too, Vince obviously past it, Lewis is taking a spot of someone of a future NS/Brownlow medalist. Jones has fallen away dramatically too, as much as I hate to admit it. Thanks for the memories captain.

Gawn's the "one season wonder" we all knew he was going to be. Maybe Stefan Martin wants to come back?

Viney's s**t at English, and is prone to injury. He can gagf. ANB needs a moustache, if he doesn't grow one in the off-season he can stay at Casey.
Oliver's going to be Melbourne'd anyway; trade value is as high as it's gonna get. Bought low, sell high- maybe we can get some of that "outside run" people are always talking about? Has red hair too so that'll surely add to his value (it's "exotic").

JKH I'd keep for "novelty" factor- he was on Neighbours you know, maybe he could go on the Batchelor or something like that in the off-season to drive membership sales. Or, alternatively, he could work on his acting skills AND TRY AND RESEMBLE A ******* FOOTBALLER when he comes back.

O'mac- get on the steriods or **** off.

T'mac- or as I'm going to call him from now on, "Nappies". He can stay actually, I like the word "nappies". Could be a good catchprhase there. Can't trade everyone anyhow.

Pig Hibberd is a little old too- sorry mate- but Milksham's my mate so he can stay.

Did I miss anyone?
Spot on. Could not have put it better myself.

So 15 can bugger off and you offer up two replacements. Do you have a list of 13 or so more viable replacements?
Not saying sack everyone. I gave a list of about 9 players who are untouchable. I'm not saying sack the rest, I'm just saying the rest can be potentially traded IMO. I gave 8 names who should be delisted immediately. Of course I don't have replacements. Whitfield and Lever can be a good start.

Not to mention that it's not even possible to turn over 15 players in one trade period. Once you consider how any players are under contract, how many trades are available and how nobody takes anybody in the draft after pick 90 - no club is turning over more than 7-8 players max. I think I read somewhere that there is a limit on delistings too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back