Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking on board the reports of Gibbs staying from our respected posters here :
Kelly i think becomes to hard .
Not prepared to commit 2018 and 2019 1st rounders that would be required even with "something" coming back .
The only way it may be possible is a package of Kelly and Hopper for those 2 picks .
I'd be wording up Rayner to make it very clear to the Qld clubs that his strong preference is to remain in Melbourne and take him with pick 3.
Pursue Hopper with an offer that see's him nominate us and use either FA compo pick gained from possible Casboult departure or 2018 2nd rounder as the guts of the payment .
Don't know much about Balic but i do about Boekhorst ... happy to make the swap .
Bringing in Rayner , Hopper and Balic fits nicely with the rebuild demographic and leaves us extremely well cashed up to create havoc in the trade/FA markets next year along with retaining our 2018 1st rounder and the addition of a few father/sons .

Rayner has been described as a Dustin Martin clone - lets say Dusty leaves as a Free Agent and Richmond get another first rounder - they'll have 3 late firsts - 15-17 (depending on theirs and Geelong's finals). Points value circa 3204 (probably greater than that if either team slip)

Ask for all 3 picks for Cuningham and Pick 3 (Rayner). Send all three to GWS for Kelly and Hopper with a second coming back from GWS. From a points perspective its nearly identical to the Treloar deal with a premium (their second is later, and most were expecting collingwoods future first to be higher than it ended up being).

Rayner has been described as a Dustin Martin clone - lets say Dusty leaves as a Free Agent and Richmond get another first rounder - they'll have 3 late firsts - 15-17 (depending on theirs and Geelong's finals). Points value circa 3204 (probably greater than that if either team slip)

Ask for all 3 picks for Cuningham and Pick 3 (Rayner). Send all three to GWS for Kelly and Hopper with a second coming back from GWS. From a points perspective its nearly identical to the Treloar deal with a premium (their second is later, and most were expecting collingwoods future first to be higher than it ended up being).
Cunners ain't going no where.
He will be in our next premiership team.
He is the type of hard strong player we desperately need. someone that doesn't go down easily. He will get his body right.

What are peoples thoughts on getting Crameri from the dogs? His 29 and probably has 3 to 4 years left
Would we be against it we got him for nothing? Especially if Casboult leaves it will allow us to play
a more mobile forward line rather than just kick and hope Casboult gloves it all the time.

Carlton keen on GWS players Kelly, Hopper, Kennedy and Himmleberg.

GWS keen to trade with blues again under the proviso they take a player like Ryan Griffin off their hands for a salary cap dump.

That made sense weeks ago and still makes sense.

What are peoples thoughts on getting Crameri from the dogs? His 29 and probably has 3 to 4 years left
Would we be against it we got him for nothing? Especially if Casboult leaves it will allow us to play
a more mobile forward line rather than just kick and hope Casboult gloves it all the time.
He is quite injury prone and struggled to get in a team that missed the finals this year. Doubt he would last 3 or 4 years.

That made sense weeks ago and still makes sense.

With Gibbs reportedly staying , what currency do we have ?
Taking Griffen as a salary dump might make sense to GWS and Carlton but what about Griffen himself .
Reports are he hates the Melbourne fish bowl environment , he doesn't need to come back here as he is contracted for next year and can just collect his money and slide easily into retirement via the NEAFL next season ...

No thanks - Rather let H and CC develop, 3rd year in the system they can handle the top defenders with a big pre season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS keen to trade with blues again under the proviso they take a player like Ryan Griffin off their hands for a salary cap dump.
Himmelberg is the interesting one. Athletic tall, played in defense to a medium level of success. Adelaide bid on him in his draft year and have drafted his brother.

Big trade and shows the net movement - steak knives etc to be added in - but as as summary:
- Lever to Melbourne
- Gibbs and Himmelberg to Adelaide
- Kelly, Hopper & Griffen to Carlton
- Pick 3, pick 9, pick 17 to GWS

Ins and outs by group:
Melbourne - In: Lever - Out: Pick 9
Carlton - In: Kelly, Hopper, Griffen - Out: Gibbs, Pick 3
Adelaide - In: Gibbs, Himmelberg - Out: Lever, Pick 17
GWS: In: Pick 3, 9 & 17 - Out: Kelly, Hopper, Himmelberg, Griffen.

GWS the only party not wrapped with that outcome?

Much appreciated TP. Before anyone asks, TP is good.

Give me the package of 5 for 2017 1st, 2018 1st and 2018 3rd.

I guess my concern over taking a dump is why GWS sign hasbeens like Palmer and Griffen to multi-year deals and then expect us to bail them out salary cap wise.

I mean I can understand Wilson and Marchie not costing much but surely their financial pressure is being relieved by $750,000 a year merely by taking Kelly.

I'm not sure about that. In Emma Quayle's 2015 book about the draft, there is a large section focusing on Clem Smith and Emma interviews Shane Rogers regarding Clem and the draft. Emma mentions some of our draft rankings and Duggan was the highest player available on our rankings come pick 7 (Wright is mentioned as being ranked in the teens).

How far out from the draft did that interview take place?

I find it incredibly hard to believe that Wright was rated in the teens just before the draft.

I guess my concern over taking a dump is why GWS sign hasbeens like Palmer and Griffen to multi-year deals and then expect us to bail them out salary cap wise.

I mean I can understand Wilson and Marchie not costing much but surely their financial pressure is being relieved by $750,000 a year merely by taking Kelly.
I dont think its that they expect us - its more a really useful negotiation tactic for us - help them alleviate cap pressure for contracts that haven't worked out as desired, or have tails a little long (which were needed when they were a struggling team trying to establish themselves).

Its really win win for both clubs - we get talent at a discount, and still get experienced players in guys like Palmer and Griffen to pad out our reserves and provide leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back