Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone that thinks McKenna would get something below pick 20 in a trade clearly doesn't understand player values.
In the case of Brisbane, they would not entertain using any of pick 14 and 18 in any deal. Especially with PSD available to them.
They certainly wouldn't do pick swaps involving pick 1, under any circumstances.

Lucky we have some one like Dodoro in charge because he would just laugh at brisbane if they don't offer 14 or 18 Dodoro didn't budge till he got pick 5 for Carlisle

So your saying he's a tall version of one of the most important players in our team?

To say he's a slightly better version of Matt Dea - who isn't in our best 22, or anyone's - is a bit of a joke. He's 10cm taller and 4 years younger, averages 1.2 contested marks and goes up over a pack to spoil a lot more often than that. Nothing alike.

We can't afford to lose McKenna, I agree with that

No not really. I was using your criticism and applying it to Lever because I found it strange that we should be so aggressively chasing a player with deficiencies of the sort that wouldn't make losing McKenna that big a deal.

For what it's worth I think McKenna will end up a better player than Lever. Lever is a good player and will probably get better but I think that he's in some way the latest channel 7 driven flash in the pan. A point of comparison would be Carlisle in 2013, both in terms of an overrating and style of player, and I think Lever is well short of Carlisle.

Carlisle was dominating a half back line while taking an opponent's number 1 each week. I thought that some of his 'jobs' were a bit suspect, especially on hard leading players but as someone who could control the air he was well in front.

Edit: now that we can see how well the forward line has come together I am having serious Carlisle withdrawals. Would be amazing to be able to slot the big guy in at CHB (mental oddities and all).

Last edited:
No not really. I was using your criticism and applying it to Lever because I found it strange that we should be so aggressively chasing a player with deficiencies of the sort that wouldn't make losing McKenna that big a deal.

For what it's worth I think McKenna will end up a better player than Lever. Lever is a good player and will probably get better but I think that he's in some way the latest channel 7 driven flash in the pan. A point of comparison would be Carlisle in 2013, both in terms of an overrating and style of player, and I think he is well short of Carlisle.

Well, I don't let channel 7 dictate to me who the good players are for starters.. it just sounds like you haven't even watched 1 full game of his and just going off his stats. Love McKenna and Carlisle used to be my favourite Essendon player, in their primes Lever will be the best of the 3 by the length

Well, I don't let channel 7 dictate to me who the good players are for starters.. it just sounds like you haven't even watched 1 full game of his and just going off his stats.

No I'm going off the reality that he does what he does as a third tall defender with Talia and Hartigan/Keath taking the number 1 and number 2 each week.

The best tall defenders all do it as number 1 or 2.

I know the channel 7 thing because I watch the game and hear Bruce and co blowing their respective loads every time he takes a mark.

Hope McKenna stays but would Brisbane take something like

Brisbane: Connor McKenna & pick 29
Essendon: Pick 18

So essentially we move up 11 spots in the second round

Ofcourse they would. Thats a s**t trade for us.

Hope McKenna stays but would Brisbane take something like

Brisbane: Connor McKenna & pick 29
Essendon: Pick 18

So essentially we move up 11 spots in the second round
If we're giving up Pick 29 as well, then they give us Pick 14 and Pick 41 back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to show me all of those games we've had Gleeson playing as a key defender.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Why? Who said it was Gleeson filling that hole. Ambrose and Hartley are our main lockdown KPD.
Ambrose and Hartley only played in the same team 5 times this year - so if it wasn't Hurley or Gleeson taking the second tall over the other 17 games, who was it?

Ambrose and Hartley only played in the same team 5 times this year - so if it wasn't Hurley or Gleeson taking the second tall over the other 17 games, who was it?
Brown for the few he played.

Why? Who said it was Gleeson filling that hole. Ambrose and Hartley are our main lockdown KPD, McGrath and bags our lockdown smalls, Hurley and Gleeson play off the 3rd and 4th when we have a full complement and win us the ball back.
A bloke who plays on the 3rd or 4th talls like you claim, wouldn't be named at CHB in the All-Australian side mate.

Wasn't GWS very interested in McGrath last year as an eventual replacement for Shaw? McKenna is that same type of player. I wonder if 'going north' means GWS bound as some type of trade deal?
However I would prefer to pay McKenna what he wants. Do not want him to leave!!!

Well, he was. "Team defence" isn't just a throwaway line coming from Woosha and the club. We actually implement it.
Implemented it and consistently failed to actually do it, when you consider we conceded the most points of any side in the top 8 by quite a substantial margin and the 7th most in the league. We won enough games to make the finals but our defence was often nowhere near good enough to stop opposition teams from scoring and our backs were often under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back