Top Ten Favourite Players: Larrikins and Legends

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Used to love watching Ashman & Trevor Keogh , they were my favorites back in the day i even grabbed the 8 jumper playing secondry school footy and it nearly touched the ground it was that big ..:D

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Used to love watching Ashman & Trevor Keogh , they were my favorites back in the day i even grabbed the 8 jumper playing secondry school footy and it nearly touched the ground it was that big ..:D

Heard a few of the players from those days, Buzz recently, just rave about Ashman, like he was the best player at the club by some way.

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The worst thing that happerned in those days my best mate was a Fitzroy supporter and they beat us in the night granfinal must of been around 78 or 79 or something ..Gary Wilson had the pill on a string the little prick

1 - Jon Dorotich - I have to put family first

2 - Stephen Silvagni - idolized SOS as a kid and now he's saving the club today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWh4alDqaiA

3 - Matthew Kreuzer - If not for the injuries would be the best player in the AFL today

4 - Lance Whitnall - dated a friend's sister for a while - what a ******* goal

5 - Matthew Lappin - I took one of my best mates to this game as his first AFL game. Needless to say he worshipped Lappin and the game of aussie rules from that evening on.

6 - Kade Simpson - You couldn't ask for a better heart and soul player. A pity he went through our two eras of being utter shite.

7 - Anthony Koutoufides - Thought this guy was a superhero as a teenager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5hHYiefDY

8 - Sam Docherty - Absolutely love Doc. What a gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln22Xx_tdsQ

9 - Ryan Houlihan - Loved Hoops silky skills. Would die for a comparable player in our forward line today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUaPSwb1hw

10 - Heath Scotland - The one Collingwood player I really really liked. The day we got him in trade the Pies insider that I lived with was in tears and I was fist pumping everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pofy1FnRIU

Some of these you can interchange their order. Ask me tomorrow and I'd have others.

Kismet

Premium Platinum
Jan 30, 2009
Mornington
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Barnsley, Detroit Tigers
Heard a few of the players from those days, Buzz recently, just rave about Ashman, like he was the best player at the club by some way.

Heard David Parkin speak at a seminar a few years ago, and he talked about a game at Princes Park where Ashman was drifting between the centre and forward lines. This used to piss the coach off that he wasn't working hard enough down back, so he got on the 'phone to the runner and said "Tell Ashman to get the * down into the ******* backline, instead of his usual bullshit of ******* hanging forward!".

The next thing he sees is Ashman giving him a wave and trotting down into defence.

Roy Hampson, the ground announcer was next door to Parkin and had left his microphone on by mistake...

Apr 22, 2008
Mamba Style !!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Lakers
Simon Beaumont. Actually, I didn't really like him much. I can't remember any Carlton player who turned the ball over more. Except for the day he kicked 8 goals in a half against Essendon. That really happened - it was glorious!
Was there the day he kicked 8 goals in a half but it wasn't against *Essendon, was definitely Collingwood.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
1 - Jon Dorotich - I have to put family first

2 - Stephen Silvagni - idolized SOS as a kid and now he's saving the club today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWh4alDqaiA

3 - Matthew Kreuzer - If not for the injuries would be the best player in the AFL today

4 - Lance Whitnall - dated a friend's sister for a while - what a ******* goal

5 - Matthew Lappin - I took one of my best mates to this game as his first AFL game. Needless to say he worshipped Lappin and the game of aussie rules from that evening on.

6 - Kade Simpson - You couldn't ask for a better heart and soul player. A pity he went through our two eras of being utter shite.

7 - Anthony Koutoufides - Thought this guy was a superhero as a teenager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY5hHYiefDY

8 - Sam Docherty - Absolutely love Doc. What a gem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln22Xx_tdsQ

9 - Ryan Houlihan - Loved Hoops silky skills. Would die for a comparable player in our forward line today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUaPSwb1hw

10 - Heath Scotland - The one Collingwood player I really really liked. The day we got him in trade the Pies insider that I lived with was in tears and I was fist pumping everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pofy1FnRIU

Some of these you can interchange their order. Ask me tomorrow and I'd have others.

Re Dora. I worked for that company and met John a few times. Don't think I've met a man who swore as much, we went for dinner one night and I spent most of the night trying to hide my face from people I knew as it seemed like every second word started with "F" and wasn't afraid to speak louder than a whisper.

It always fascinated me when I heard him doing special comments on games from Perth that he was able to get through without adding at least one "F" bomb.

Also knew Brenchley who dined out for a while on the story of Doras well publicised exploits in his car. The story was front page in the Truth (I think) and Brenchley went in early to ease the impact. Spent the morning going around all the women in the office telling them that the story was all rubbish only to look behind and see that Dora was walking around behind him saying words to the effect of "yeah it's true they caught me whacking myself".

Lovely guy, a very good footballer and a true larrikin.

Also knew Brenchley who dined out for a while on the story of Doras well publicised exploits in his car. The story was front page in the Truth (I think) and Brenchley went in early to ease the impact. Spent the morning going around all the women in the office telling them that the story was all rubbish only to look behind and see that Dora was walking around behind him saying words to the effect of "yeah it's true they caught me whacking myself".

I copped s**t loads for that as a youngster. But I think over the intervening years the whole truth about the entire situation has come to light.

bleednavyblue

Club Legend
Jul 7, 2017
In a galaxy far far away......
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
1) Andrew McKay (my all time fav)
2) Craig Bradley
3) Stephen Kernahan
4) Greg Williams
5) Stephen Silvagni
6) Chris Judd
7) David Rhys-Jones
8) Justin Madden
9) Anthony Koutafidies
10) Brett Ratten

Honourable Mention: though he didnt get to play from what i was told Peter Motley was a absolute gun until that tragic accident.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
1) Fev (my all time fav)
2) Sticks
3) Krooooz
4) SOS
5) Kouta
6) Juddy
7) Braddles
8) Brown Dog
9) Jezza/Peter Dean
10) Starchamber

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
these are the iconic players I remember best, mostly from the golden era 1979 to early 80s when I was about 10 years old ... what a time to be a Blues supporter!

1 Bruce Doull
2 Wayne Johnston
3 Judd
4 SOS
5 Kouta
6 Peter Bosustow
7 David Glascott
8 David Rhys-Jones
9 Greg Williams
10 Earl Spalding (that hit on McKenna in 1995 and the smother and goal in the GF!)

probably not a good idea to put Rhys and Diesel together.....

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Really hard to narrow the field to 10 players

1. Hunter - Best raw footballer I have ever seen. Could play, back, forward and through the middle. Courageous to a fault
  2. Doull
  3. Johnston
  4. SOS
  5. Kouta
  6. Williams
  7. Judd
  8. Buckley
  9. Fevola
  10. Cripps (Will probably move up this list)
Honourable Mentions: Ashman, Brown, Sticks, Jezza, Ratten, Simpson

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Tough challenge, actually, to pick the all-time favs.

1. SOS - this one is easy, though. Was, is, will always be my favourite.
2. Judd - absolutely loved him before he came to the Blues; foamed at the mouth when he did.
3. Sticks - there was always tremendous comfort in knowing that whenever the Blues were in trouble, this giant of a leader would take a big grab and haul us back into it.
4. Dominator - my memories are hazier here, but there was no ifs and buts I wore the big #7 before SOS took over my life.
5. Diesel - maligned as slow, etc, this guy was just a freakishly good player. So consistently brilliant. '95 GF was a masterclass.
6. Kouta - if you only saw late-career Kouta, do yourself a favour and find highlights from before #&*&)@^ Matthew Knights shredded his knee.
7. Ang Christou - woof!
8. Simmo - when they make a statue of Simmo it will be of him pancaked on the ground, pushing himself up, in long sleeves, having just put his undersized body on the line for the Blues AGAIN and been drilled for the trouble.
9. Mil Hanna - the wierd hair. The explosiveness. The rig. The occasional 8 goal day out. He even owns (or owned) a nice cafe. Mil was awesome.
10. Docherty - for once after our era of darkness it felt like we'd paid unders and developed a genuine star. Doc has quietly become the best at what he does in the league. To me is a symbol/beacon of Carlton finally getting on the right track.

Andypooh23

Team Captain
Aug 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Wizards
I met the great man Sticks Kernahan today.
He came into my work to drop some stuff off.

My co-worker was dealing with him and when I came over he was getting into his car to leave and I yelled out Go Blues.

He laughed and yelled it back. My co-worker said to him sorry mate I thought it was you but I wasn't sure.

I said to Sticks don't worry about him he is a Collingwood supporter I knew who you were cause I'm a Carlton supporter.

He got out if his car to shake my hand and have a quick chat.

What a Legend.

Jan 16, 2005
paradise
AFL Club
Carlton
1: Bruce Doull, never said much but never needed to ..actions speak louder than words
2: Wayne Harmes The Hurricane, could play both ends, had electric speed a super Boot, and could take huge pack marks, bloke was a match winner time and time again.
3: Ken Hunter, one of the toughest players to ever grace the Field, graceful in the air and on the ground..he was a beauty.
4: Geoff Southby ..took on and beat the best of the best time and time again, the original attacking defender.
5: Greg Williams, possibly the best player to don a Nave Blue Jumper ..and that's saying a lot.
Steve Kernahan the Captain, one of the best leaders ever.
6: SOS Full back of the century that could go forward and kick 10 Goals.
7: Kouta, probably the best all round player to play the Game.
8: Peter Dean, Mr Reliable, just got the job done every week.
9: Jezza, when you think Carlton you think Jezza...just a freak
10: Craig Bradley, amazing skills and just ran all day
11: Juddy, hard to leave this bloke out
12: Cripps ...absolute beast and our future.

I found that a really hard task ..so many others i would have loved to get in there...Charlie will be pushing for selection in everyones list very soon.

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Re Dora. I worked for that company and met John a few times. Don't think I've met a man who swore as much, we went for dinner one night and I spent most of the night trying to hide my face from people I knew as it seemed like every second word started with "F" and wasn't afraid to speak louder than a whisper.

It always fascinated me when I heard him doing special comments on games from Perth that he was able to get through without adding at least one "F" bomb.

Lovely guy, a very good footballer and a true larrikin.

Re: that story - as I understood Dorotich was outside the car "warming up" whilst The Dominator was inside the car giving it to a prominent (at the time) Television Personality/Newsreader.

:p

The old campaigner

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
malmsbury
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
hammers, packers
1. James Buckley
2. Jezza
3. Doull
4. Sticks
5. Mark Maclure
6. Andrew Walker
7. Kouta
8. SoS
9. Hoops
10. C. Judd

Many Many others could be there and probably would be any other day but Buckley would always be number one for me.

boltsbabyblues

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
With the release of Larrikins and Legends, it's surely time to revisit this subject. The last thread of its ilk i could find was from 2010, so we're due.

This list isn't about who was the best players you've seen, but who were/are your favourites, but if you don't include Bruce Doull...

1. Bruce Doull. Just the best of the best and way ahead of his time in skill and play. I was speaking with Wes Lofts a few years ago and he described contract negotiations with Bruce:

Wes: 'G'day Bruce.'
Bruce: 'G'day Wes.'
Wes: 'We'll pay you $xx,xxx this year Bruce.'
Bruce: 'Ok Wes.'

Bruce just loved our club, and still does.

2. Peter Dean. Similar reasons to Bruce, and who'll ever forget his oh so graceful exit from the stage after the '95 GF.

3. Wayne Johnston. Loved him as a player in '78 when he played a season with Prahran in the VFA, and was instrumental in winning the flag that year, and then fell in love with him all over again the next year when he arrived at Princes Park. How he didn't win a Norm Smith medal will forever remain one of life's mysteries.

4. Wes Lofts. This is very personal, as I got to know the man in his later years and he was a seriously intelligent individual, but also one of the toughest bastards ever to take the footy field. Best of all he was a huge personality and was a powerhouse of our club behind the scenes in the '70's and '80's.

5. Peter Bosustow. For someone who played such a short time with our club, what an impact! Didn't want to leave, but family issues took him away. Mark and Goal of the year in the same season sums up his mercurial talent.

6. Kade Simpson. At a time when our club has gone through such crap, there has always been one constant shining light. He might not've got a possession in his first three games, but he's sure made up for it since.

7. Alex Jesaulenko. Jezza. Was the first Carlton player I ever saw in action. Love at first sight.

8. Brendan Fevola. Yes, I know he was a pillock, but like Simmo, Fev kept us going through the lean years. Those roosts from outside fifty still take my breath away.

9. David Rhys-Jones. For those too young to have seen the Hyphen play, think Samo Petrevski-Seton. Seemed in slow motion while chaos reigned around him. And Rhys was different from players like Ronnie Andrews and Leigh Matthews in belting players, because he always belted them from in front, not from behind, and to me that was important.

10. Ken Hunter. How could such a scrawny bloke be so bloody tough, skillful and courageous? It was insane how good he was, and the danger in which he'd place his body.

11. Stephen Kernahan. Yeah, I know I said ten, but I couldn't leave Sticks out. The man was a superstar player and captain, knocked back huge bucks to go to the Adelaide Crows when they started, and to this day bleeds navy blue.

The one theme running through my favourite ten was that they loved our club and each week you knew they wouldn't (or won't) let you down.

1. Brendan Fevola - absolute legend, kept me sane through the dark days of coming every week and watching us get belted

2. S. Kernahan - captain of the century, absolute legend, will never forget him missing after the siren though....I was already celebrating ( as much as a 12 year old could)

3 G.Williams - best player I've ever seen play (live) i wonder how many of him get passed over these days because of the obsession with athletes.

4. C.Bradley - Only had a quick browse of this thread but didn't see many people mention him. absolute star who could run all day. I saw him decide to run around the centre square non stop one day while waiting for the bounce to destroy a tagger mentally. who could forget the old goal on the run from outside 50 that he enjoyed (lots of torps)

5. A.Christou - WOOF.......nothing else to say, anyone who has been at the G and heard it understands.

6. P. Dean - Animal defender, good working class player, knew exactly what was coming every week

7. F. Brown - Another animal, broke the filthy scumbag bombers hearts one day. I wonder if they still kept their queue positions after the siren :)

8. B Pearce - forward pocket who kicked 50 odd goals in a premiership year and i reckon 4 from memory on the big day!

9. E. Betts - Can't mention pearce without eddie! eddie was another that kept me interested during the terrible years, to think we let him go for 250k or so ....its a terrible shame

10. B. Fisher - hahaha poor guy, thats a joke, Its really A .Koutafides, but I did have a soft spot for old brad. Great pair of hands, just couldnt kick, his legs looked like bambi's lol! Not much to say about Kouta that hasn't already been mentioed

Back