Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
You would want to hope they only cost a kitchen sink as I can't see how you will have the coin to even get a seat at the table.

cb84e4f59111c25235106100a038b786

How will Richmond balance its playing list after giving 1.1 million to one footballer for 7 years?

Surly this will have a significant impact on richmonds ability to not only bring new players to the club via free agency and trades, but also mean richmond will have the challenge of retaining the current list? Is the double edged sword of Dusty not moving on going to cause much distress for the Tigers in the future as time wears on?

Quite frankly the list has a lot of room for improvement with a key forward, ruckman and perhaps midfield pace and depth still required. Will the mega Dustin deal hurt future prospects of trying to have a functions list?

Last edited:
How will Richmond balance its playing list after giving 1.1 million to one footballer for 7 years?

Surly this will have a significant impact on richmonds ability to not only bring new players to the club via free agency and trades, but also mean richmond will have the challange of retaining the current list?

Is the double edged sword of Dusty not moving on going to cause much distress for the Tigers in the future as time wears on?

LOL WTF are you smoking?

The salary cap has increased. We have not "over paid" for Martin.

We have very smart heads around our football department. Do you think they would jeopardise the list & future for one player?

It's something i've wondered about a bit this week.

Richmond has been pretty lucky that none of our players have been poached due to free agency or even taken by the expansion sides.
I think having someone on board like Neil Balme will go a long way to balancing the numbers and keeping who we need on the list.

• Banned
Richmond board?

there are so many non richmond fans commenting on it ,across a range of threads i thought it would be nice to have a centralized discussion instead of bits everywhere.

richmond fans can often be a bit delusional too so its good to get an outside opinion on how it will unravel

It won't affect the club very much at all. Firstly they can front load or back load the contract (even mid load) so they can fit other high profile recruits into the list. Sydney have both Buddy AND Tippett on sizeable deals plus they have Hanneberry, Kennedy etc etc plus up and coming youngsters in Heeney and Mills and yet they can fit players in. We already know that Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt signed for unders so we are in a much better cap space than many think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney have made 2 Grand Finals and been perennial finalists after signing Lance Franklin and Kurt Tippett to massive long term contracts.

The Western Bulldogs won their 1st premiership for 62 years (and have signed all of their other young stars to long term contracts) after signing Thomas Boyd to a multi-million dollar contract.

Richmond will be just fine with Dustin's mega deal, especially with the large increase in TPP.

It is going to be hard to tell how this will affect their future chances.

It probably diminishes their chances of luring a quality 2nd tall to complement Riewoldt in the coming years.

I am sure Richmond would have been better off if they got Martin for under a million. However, keeping him at a high price is better than losing him as he is the key to making the midfield/forward line work right now.

If the club is successful and he is a factor towards making that happen, then that will assist in player retention. If he suffers a shocking run of injuries and the team fails to play consistent finals football then it will be subject to criticism but no one has a crystal ball to determine what the future holds.

If the club is successful and he is a factor towards making that happen, then that will assist in player retention. If he suffers a shocking run of injuries and the team fails to play consistent finals football then it will be subject to criticism but no one has a crystal ball to determine what the future holds.

the lad doesnt get injuries

touch wood *

It is going to be hard to tell how this will affect their future chances.

It probably diminishes their chances of luring a quality 2nd tall to complement Riewoldt in the coming years.

but to what extent, is the question

People do anyway. If you know the history of the Richmond supportorbase you'll understand the pic
Still not relevant to this thread.
giphy.gif

I don't think it will affect the list at all, tbh. It's only 300k a year less, ie a fringe player. Dusty > A fringe player

It's 1.2/year isn't it? 1.3 over 7 years wouldn't be the 2mil short of norths 1.5 over 7 that Carr has suggested. If it's 1.2, accounting for the salary cap increase, it's a similar percentage of the cap as Buddy's has been at Sydney, so it's not exactly unrealistic. We're obviously loading up with the group we have now for a shot at a flag. If we get where we're hoping to get (obviously still a dream), I don't think we'll have much trouble attracting players on slightly reduced contracts. Might be some list experts out there that know I'm completely off track though.

North melbourne are overall as a club going nowhere and lack direction, but the best thing they did this year was forcing the tigers to overpay Martin and really hold the Tigers accountable and at least prevent then from getting any better.

As a club theyre not good enough to be true contenders but if they had added another key piece, maybe they would be.

Now with the Martin saga, their hands are tied. Well done north.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back