Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

heaps of richmond and non richmond fans over a variety of discussions

i cant be bothered quoting them all so i made the discussion here, cause i think its an interesting thing.

ill do it if you really want but it will be boring and time consuming

no

yet richmond might be burdened by losing targets in the future or not being able to re-sign existing players is the narritive

(rance is the best player)
Again, I'm more concerned about the NOW than what MIGHT happen in the FUTURE. As someone pointed out, an asteroid might hit the earth too. How do Sydney fit both Buddy AND Tippett in their cap without COLA?

Again, I'm more concerned about the NOW than what MIGHT happen in the FUTURE. As someone pointed out, an asteroid might hit the earth too. How do Sydney fit both Buddy AND Tippett in their cap without COLA?

i want rockcliff and a ruckman and a key forward...

so i am also talking about now, as in this current draft and trade period upcoming

2018 list dynamics and the impact the Dustin MArtin mega deal will have on the tigers salary cap

Dusty is older and (way) more established than Jaegar and Tom. Ask this question in four years or so

but there is two of them and the hawks seem be functioning ok cap wise (?)

also i thought the doggies were very brave and it was a wise move to give boyd a million a year and they also seem in a reasonable ok position in regards to the money aspects. young gun key forward dont grow on trees and he delivered when it counted (??)

Totally disagree. It was completely worth it for them to pay 1.1 or 1.2m a year (whatever it is) for Dusty. He is legitimately one of the best 2 players in the game. Even if they lose a decent younger talent and get a draft pick back - its still TOTALLY worth it.

Plus once players start to perceive Richmond as a genuine contender - they made be able to get free agents for cheaper.

Without Martin - its hard to see that they would be anywhere close to being a contender. I mean maybe its Dangerfield at Adelaide situation but I doubt it and I don't think many Tiger fans think that either.

A salary cap disaster is paying 1m a year for Boyd to play in the VFL. Martin is practically free money compared to that.

It is going to be hard to tell how this will affect their future chances.

It probably diminishes their chances of luring a quality 2nd tall to complement Riewoldt in the coming years.

I am sure Richmond would have been better off if they got Martin for under a million. However, keeping him at a high price is better than losing him as he is the key to making the midfield/forward line work right now.
Not surprising that Levi Casboult signs contract not long after Dusty deal was done given there was a lot of talk about Casboult coming to Richmond, wouldn't be much cap room there left this year to bring in other talent from clubs but we'll have enough to retain all of our current crop and bring in new draftees, and maybe bring in other lesser lights if available on the cheap.

People do anyway. If you know the history of the Richmond supportorbase you'll understand the pic
Move along champ.

c3b690791e43708341cf2debbb07fd13.jpg

I'd be more concerned if the salary cap hadn't just gone up $2m.

Obviously as that normalises all salaries will go up on average, but looking at it simplistically Richmond are exactly where they were this year with Martin getting an extra ~$500k with another $1.5m to distribute.

But yeah I hope they've ****ed up and come ninth.

i want rockcliff and a ruckman and a key forward...

so i am also talking about now, as in this current draft and trade period upcoming

2018 list dynamics and the impact the Dustin MArtin mega deal will have on the tigers salary cap
How many clubs near the top can afford to go out and get Rockcliff AND a good ruckman AND a good key forward? Very very few I would say.

do we know that for sure ?
We're all just guessing here, so no we don't know for sure, but Casboult was rumoured to have been offered $500k 3 year contract by us and then he signs a 2 year contract at the blues after the Martin stuff had been finalized, we have cap space, how much, no one really knows but we'll see what happends over trade week and how active we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but there is two of them and the hawks seem be functioning ok cap wise (?)

also i thought the doggies were very brave and it was a wise move to give boyd a million a year and they also seem in a reasonable ok position in regards to the money aspects. young gun key forward dont grow on trees and he delivered when it counted (??)

Hawks are needing to offer bigger amounts than they normally would to lure restricted agents unfortunately.

As a rule they underpay compared to most clubs. Hodge, Mitch, Gibson, Lake and such were on peanuts compared to what they could have sought from rival clubs.

To win a premiership you have to make sacrifices. If we win one in the next few years and then can't keep up to the pace for a few years afterwards it's worth it. The system's built around 'equalisation'. Also we're, right at this moment, a contender, which brings with it the $$$ and credibility - when's the last time that happened? It also makes us a destination club.

If it leads to a premiership we'll be the biggest sporting club in the country. What price do you put on that?

Yeh massive utensil up......resigned the absolute best player in the comp for a fair bit less than what another team offered........come on, I like giving Richmond s**t as much as the next bloke but this a major coup for them. I reckon they have turned the corner

And I reckon you guys might a future mega-contract player currently on your list. If and when Charlie Curnow comes out of contract, I believe he'll be in the same ballpark, relative to the TPP of the time.

And I reckon you guys might a future mega-contract player currently on your list. If and when Charlie Curnow comes out of contract, I believe he'll be in the same ballpark, relative to the TPP of the time.
Take that as it comes. As exciting as he is he has a long road to travel to be spoken about with dusty

He's a B-grader who had one good season at Port (was mediocre for years at Richmond), and spends half the year injured. I doubt the Tigers are smarting over his departure.

On the topic, if they get a flag out of all this (or even consecutive top 4 finishes, which they haven't had for nearly four decades) wouldn't any future "squeeze" be worth it? You play to win the game, after all. Sometimes it takes calculated risks.

It's something i've wondered about a bit this week.

Richmond has been pretty lucky that none of our players have been poached due to free agency or even taken by the expansion sides.
I think having someone on board like Neil Balme will go a long way to balancing the numbers and keeping who we need on the list.

64353_20b4af06cd9712afaabf3bd57686934c.png

He's a B-grader who had one good season at Port (was mediocre for years at Richmond), and spends half the year injured. I doubt the Tigers are smarting over his departure.

On the topic, if they get a flag out of all this (or even consecutive top 4 finishes, which they haven't had for nearly four decades) wouldn't any future "squeeze" be worth it? You play to win the game, after all. Sometimes it takes calculated risks.

Spot on with all that Damon. On Matthew White, despite the fact that he was a required player who we really didn't want to lose, there was no compensation whatsoever offered on his free agency. Not even a 4th round pick. It's a woeful system.

It might become a problem in 3-5 years if the current list doesn't prove to be good enough, or if it's not quite good enough and needs topping up.

But if they think they're in their window now - which this season suggests they are - it would've been a much, much bigger disaster for Richmond if they had lost him.

He's either the best, or the 2nd best player in the game at the moment (depending on who you talk to), and as we know the salary cap is going up by plenty from next year. This is absolutely affordable and, in the context of what other players have received in the last few years, it's absolutely affordable. In fact it was necessary - losing Martin, but having an extra $1.1m in your cap doesn't take Richmond closer to a premiership.

If Richmond can't turn this squad into a flag, it won't be because of the Martin contract - it will have been due to other coaching and/or list management failures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back