Autopsy Richmond salary cap disaster: 2018-2024

Have to wonder, did the Dusty deal cost Riewoldt a sidekick in Casboult?
Did they take the cash they were going to give to Levi and add it to the Martin deal?

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
LOL WTF are you smoking?

The salary cap has increased. We have not "over paid" for Martin.

We have very smart heads around our football department. Do you think they would jeopardise the list & future for one player?

Were they the same football heads who publicly announced the other year about their failed 8 year mini rebuild content to finish around 7-11th just to keep the memberships up..

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Were they the same football heads who publicly announced the other year about their failed 8 year mini rebuild content to finish around 7-11th just to keep the memberships up..

Dan Richardson essentially said (and said it very badly) that Richmond had risen too soon, which was absolutely true. I think St.Kilda is probably realising something similar. It takes years to recover from a list train wreck; longer if the drafts are compromised.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I would think it's all about a flag - if he helps deliver one within those 7 years to a club starved of success then it'll have been worth every penny. Plus he's one of the best players in the game so arguably it's just around market value, maybe even unders given the salary cap increase.

I know it's a different situation, but Boyd helped deliver a flag to a dogs supporter base that hadn't seen one in generations. If he doesn't progress much as a KPF and/or ruck and the club is overpaying him massively then he'll still have delivered that flag, and maybe even was BOG in the GF. If it hinders the dogs recruitment and retention over the next few years then maybe it ends up being an issue, but many people will still say it was worth it for the one flag. My guess is a chunk of tigers fans would feel the same if they broke their drought.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dusty is, as Riewoldt does, and then there is a Rance but even that might not work... courting disaster if you let these dudes go
so I applaud the Hardwick with his cohorts to keep these likable larrikins around.

Dam Hardwick is a chop off the old Clarkson block and so I applaud his hardness and fortitude because the Tigers need a bit of a
bullet up the butt.. no not that but a butt of more than chocolate.... laugh with me cos it is just too funny all round.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
I remember when people said the same things about the Western Bulldogs 3 years ago.

They'll be fine.

Casboult priced himself out of the market, well before the Martin deal was done.
Right up to Martin signing on Casboult was heading to Richmond, after he suddenly re-signs with Carlton.
Where did the money for his signing go?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Right up to Martin signing on Casboult was heading to Richmond, after he suddenly re-signs with Carlton.
Where did the money for his signing go?

We were into him all year but he wanted $600K over four years to move. You're not seriously suggesting that signing Martin over Casboult + a good ordinary mid represents a net loss for Richmond?

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
He wanted that much but stayed at carlton for 400k?

No idea what he's on, I hadn't even heard that he re-signed. He grew up barracking for Carlton and he's apparently happy enough there; a lot of Richmond people were wary. $600K was the asking price to up and move.

His style would've suited us, but not at any price.

Young Gun #6

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Juventus, Suns
I remember when people said the same things about the Western Bulldogs 3 years ago.

They'll be fine.

There's a difference between an unknown quantity getting 1million and the best player in the comp this year getting 1.1 mil. One justifiable got discussed at the time as potentially being a bad deal, this one I can't really see the justification behind how it can be said to be a bad deal with assessing it at the time. Maybe retrospectively it might be but definitely not at moment when the player is likely to break the all time Brownlow votes record in a year.

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
No idea what he's on, I hadn't even heard that he re-signed. He grew up barracking for Carlton and he's apparently happy enough there; a lot of Richmond people were wary. $600K was the asking price to up and move.

His style would've suited us, but not at any price.

Reported he stayed for 350-400k.

He wanted that much but stayed at carlton for 400k?

My understanding is his problem with Carlton wasn't so much the $$$ as the years.

As for the Martin deal taking the money away....When you factor in the CBA increase, Richmond's offer went up by ~200k since the start of the year (and I'm sure most will agree his form this year warranted that), so while it might make things a bit tighter, I doubt we're talking deal breaking sums.

More likely Richmond was looking at a couple of options and decided others were better....Or perhaps they've decided that the current small forward line is the way to go moving forward.

Did a North fan really instigate this thread by implying Richmond gave up too much to keep Martin? Have they forgotten what they threw over the table at Martin and Kelly this year?

Did a North fan really instigate this thread by implying Richmond gave up too much to keep Martin? Have they forgotten what they threw over the table at Martin and Kelly this year?

The have odd logic at Arden st. The thread in Draft and trading has been the source of many LOLs for a month or so now.

Them offering $1.5M is perfectly fine, us getting him for $1.2M is overpaying.

Oh, and somehow he's a mercenary for taking our offer....:D

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
The have odd logic at Arden st. The thread in Draft and trading has been the source of many LOLs for a month or so now.

Them offering $1.5M is perfectly fine, us getting him for $1.2M is overpaying.

Oh, and somehow he's a mercenary for taking our offer....:D
Ah they are still a little bit salty some very confusing remarks from a few of them.

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
That's because we've never paid overs for one player. I'll never be critical of Richmond for the Martin deal, that's their concern. All I know is, if the Hawks matched Sydney's deal for Franklin and kept him at the club, I would have been one very nervous Hawks supporter every time he went for the ball. Hawks would never do this as they've always believed in a far wider spread across the board. Plus, we always knew some players would be putting their hands out for a little more as a bonus for winning premierships. We needed to keep room in the salary cap. Sydney is uniquely situated as a club as they know if they stuff up, uncle AFL will come to the rescue, but if a club such as Hawthorn or Richmond stuffed up, don't expect the AFL to be much help.
Isnt Vickery on 500k thats a lot for a reserves player.

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
As others have said, the cap is increasing. It may irk some players that their pay won't increase, but that will be the bottom rung. The top ones will be looked after.

Secondly, all teams have outside the cap scams they run (yes, even mine). You will find players like Martin will be "leasing" jeeps on next to nothing, with them taking ownership after x amount of years on minimal coin (Josh gibson got himself an Audi this way, and several Essendon and Geelong players found themselves owning fords and toyotas for free thanks to their clubs relationships

Back