Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Best game he's played for the club, no doubt. But does one good game in a final get you another contract?

He's been building into that. I can't see any possible harm in giving him a year, he's finally got over his injuries. Seems counter intuitive to cut and run now before we really know what we've got

Best game he's played for the club, no doubt. But does one good game in a final get you another contract?

So, is it fair to say he's never been in the bests (top 5) this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't watch much VFL, but thought he was a standout today.

Looked composed, showed dash, competed well & was reasonably clean. Exactly what we lack in the small backs department.
It was probably the best game Morgan has played.

The issue is, he hasn't shown that sort of form anywhere near enough and that is why he will probably struggle to survive.

The question will be whether the club are prepared to cut him slack and give him another year.

So, is it fair to say he's never been in the bests (top 5) this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Today was the first time this year he's been in the top 10 in all honesty

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He's been building into that. I can't see any possible harm in giving him a year, he's finally got over his injuries. Seems counter intuitive to cut and run now before we really know what we've got
I'm a fan and even I've been frustrated with his year. But he started to make some nice dashes a few weeks ago after he managed to put a couple of injury free months together.

I don't see why we giving him another year would be an issue either. We' ve got a bunch of older blokes retiring, a couple of others who will likely be on the way out, and the draft isn't considered particularly deep.

If it works out, he fits a need beautifully. If it doesn't, at worst we've given a mid-second round pick enough time to succeed.

I'm a fan and even I've been frustrated with his year. But he started to make some nice dashes a few weeks ago after he managed to put a couple of injury free months together.

I don't see why we giving him another year would be an issue either. We' ve got a bunch of older blokes retiring, a couple of others who will likely be on the way out, and the draft isn't considered particularly deep.

If it works out, he fits a need beautifully. If it doesn't, at worst we've given a mid-second round pick enough time to succeed.

That's pretty much my argument too, we drafted a guy we knew had issues, took our time with him (remember we took him out of games he was technically fit for to strengthen his hammies and core) and now that he's seemingly injury free and starting to show signs we cut and run? I wouldn't.

I'm by no means a Morgan apologist, but I'm seeing too much light at the end of the tunnel to delist.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Aidyn Johnson at port who was picked after Morgan and Bonner and the guy I wanted. He's everything we hoped Morgan would be. Quick with elite skills. He probably more of a forward but could find a home off half back in the seniors. Trained with us as a junior as well.

Dons4days

Club Legend
Dec 1, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Dallas Cowboys
Really hope we don't delist this guy. He really seems to be building towards something.
If he comes good then he's exactly what we need in the seniors.

Last year? Inside football has him down for 7. Footy live has him down for 10.
Really? Hm, I must be remembering incorrectly. I remember him playing quite a few. Also Inside Football wouldn't have had the two finals.

I think he does. More up side than Hind
Hind has outperformed him this season. Just as quick, better defensively and has shown an ability to go through the midfield.

All that being said, I'd sooner take Brett Bewley to the other two (watch the VFL prelim in two weeks time and you'll understand why)

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Hind has outperformed him this season. Just as quick, better defensively and has shown an ability to go through the midfield.

All that being said, I'd sooner take Brett Bewley to the other two (watch the VFL prelim in two weeks time and you'll understand why)
I'd re rookie him. Pick in the 20s hasn't come on as expected but is a need on our list. You're prepared to give Long an upgrade so I think Morgan deserves another year for sure. To high of an investment to throw away. Every time I've seen him play he looks like a guy with no confidence.

I'd re rookie him. Pick in the 20s hasn't come on as expected but is a need on our list. You're prepared to give Long an upgrade so I think Morgan deserves another year for sure. To high of an investment to throw away. Every time I've seen him play he looks like a guy with no confidence.
Long has vastly outperformed Morgan, and that's saying something.

Let's be honest here, has Morgan shown as much as Tyson Slattery, Kurt Aylett, Ariel Steinberg or Anthony Long in his time here when they were re-rookied? I don't think he has, sometimes it's better to cut your losses (which this clearly is) and look at players who've played the same or similar roles better in the state leagues, like we did with Steinberg->Hartley.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Long has vastly outperformed Morgan, and that's saying something.

Let's be honest here, has Morgan shown as much as Tyson Slattery, Kurt Aylett, Ariel Steinberg or Anthony Long in his time here when they were re-rookied? I don't think he has, sometimes it's better to cut your losses (which this clearly is) and look at players who've played the same or similar roles better in the state leagues, like we did with Steinberg->Hartley.
Steinberg was given 5 years, but I understand the example. With our list structure we are set to cut like 6 more guys. 1 year rookie deal for him won't ruin our list.

Nick Hind is streets ahead of him.
He's also 2 years older.

Honestly I couldn't care less if he stays or goes. I'd pretty confident in saying he will be on our list next year. We tend to hang on to blokes like this for years.

Steinberg was given 5 years, but I understand the example. With our list structure we are set to cut like 6 more guys. 1 year rookie deal for him won't ruin our list.

He's also 2 years older.

Honestly I couldn't care less if he stays or goes. I'd pretty confident in saying he will be on our list next year. We tend to hang on to blokes like this for years.
With the out of contract guys, I only see Baguley, Green, Draper and McKenna definitely getting another contract. I can see Howlett being retained as well.

Has he shown enough as a draftee to be retained? I don't think so.

Sep 12, 2003
under the table
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not important

He's also 2 years older.

True. I just reckon he's going nowhere and wasting a spot, but it's just my opinion.

Back