Folklore: stories you're not sure about

Remove this Banner Ad

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
There have been a few threads about the misconceptions of our game - the myths that can be busted, confirmed and debated.

This thread is more about your club's nostalgia - stories that may or may not be true, and haven't been proved either way. There is a certain romance about little, concrere stories that explain bigger, longer periods of time. For example, it's probable that an apple never fell on Isaac Newton's head, inspiring him to research what we now call gravity. He only started telling that story when he was an old man.

To get the ball rolling, these are the stories (mainly from Adelaide) off the top of my head:

It's half time in the 1993 preliminary final at the MCG. Underdogs Adelaide are 42 points up against Essendon. Graham Cornes is addressing the Crows huddle. Somebody (supposedly future captain Mark Bickley) farted and everyone in the very tight huddle was holding their nose. This bomb supposedly put the players off their focus, Essendon stormed home, won the game, and went on to win the premiership. Some jokingly refer to it as 'the fart that cost a flag'.

It's half time/3qtr time in the 1997 preliminary final and Adelaide are trailing hot favourites Western Bulldogs. Crows ruckman Shaun Rehn is playing today, but he's missed long stretches of previous seasons due to a series of knee injuries. The Crows' performances are thought to hinge on whether Rehn plays. He has a knee brace on. In the rooms at half time, he ripped it off and said to his teammates, 'We're winning this.' They did.

It's the wash-up of the 2008 grand final. Geelong, after losing just one game in the H&A season, had marched into the grand final as unbackable favourites. Hawthorn, the 2nd best team all year, had beaten the Cats and claimed the flag. At a time and place unknown (in the rooms straight afterwards? At the post-season review in Kardinia? After Kennett said 'We've beaten Geelong when it matters'? Fill me in, Cats fans) the Geelong players made a pact never to lose to Hawthorn again. They made good on that pact for the next eleven games and five years, including several extremely close games.

What stories surround your club which have a bit of an 'urban legend' feel to them?

Last edited:
Tony modra supposedly whipped it it out and pissed on a piano leg back in the day in a night club.

Nigel smart walking on hot coals as team bonding and missed 7 weeks with scalded feet.

Bartel giving or getting a lift from someone after one of heir premierships?

It's rugby league not Afl but Laurie Daley allegedly had a Tommy Tank in the sheds after the 89 grand final while Bob Hawke was lurking nearby
giphy.gif

It's half time in the 1997 grand final and Adelaide are trailing hot favourites St Kilda by 13 points. Crows ruckman Shaun Rehn is playing today, but he's missed long stretches of previous seasons due to a series of knee injuries. The Crows' performances are thought to hinge on whether Rehn plays. He has a knee brace on. In the rooms at half time, he ripped it off and said to his teammates, 'We're winning this.' They did.

This one was the '97 Prelim against the Dogs. Something inspired a comeback, why not this?!

Nigel smart walking on hot coals as team bonding and missed 7 weeks with scalded feet.
100% true.

For Richmond, it's the 1973 Prelim. Royce Hart basically had no knees left, was barely fit, and so was on the bench (no interchange back then). Half-time - Collingwood lead by 43 pts. The discussion in the rooms supposedly was something like:

"If we put Hart on, he won't be fit for the Grand Final!".
"If we don't put Hart on, we won't make the Grand Final!".

Hart came on, played well, Richmond come back and win, Hart plays GF and does well as Richmond win.

I have my doubts, personally. Sure, Hart wasn't anywhere near 100% fit. But if he's OK to come off the bench, how long could he play for - one quarter, two quarters? I can't believe there was much doubt about putting him on. 43 points down.

Still - good story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 'handball at all costs' decree from Barassi at half-time in the 1970 Grand Final - thus changing the game forever - has generally been proven to be false.
Yep, watching the 2nd half over the years the handball claim (apart from the odd occasion) always seemed like mythmaking.

And a check of the stats on AFL Tables shows that Carlton had 40 handballs to Collingwood's 33, hardly a significant difference. In fact, the previous week Carlton had 57 handballs!

Apart from moves like bringing Hopkins on, always thought the biggest factor in the turnaround that Peter McKenna (6 goals in the match for 143 for the year) was concussed in the 1st half and severely incapacitated in the 2nd half when Carlton made their run-on.

Tony modra supposedly whipped it it out and pissed on a piano leg back in the day in a night club.

Bartel giving or getting a lift from someone after one of heir premierships?

Someone from the media team at the club went back to KP after the 2007 flag and found Nathan Ablett there doing weights as part of his usual post match ritual. She gave him a lift through the maddening crowds still all over the streets, luckily she had tinted windows.

There have been a few threads about the misconceptions of our game - the myths that can be busted, confirmed and debated.

This thread is more about your club's nostalgia - stories that may or may not be true, and haven't been proved either way. There is a certain romance about little, concrere stories that explain bigger, longer periods of time. For example, it's probable that an apple never fell on Isaac Newton's head, inspiring him to research what we now call gravity. He only started telling that story when he was an old man.

To get the ball rolling, these are the stories (mainly from Adelaide) off the top of my head:

It's half time in the 1993 preliminary final at the MCG. Underdogs Adelaide are 42 points up against Essendon. Graham Cornes is addressing the Crows huddle. Somebody (supposedly future captain Mark Bickley) farted and everyone in the very tight huddle was holding their nose. This bomb supposedly put the players off their focus, Essendon stormed home, won the game, and went on to win the premiership. Some jokingly refer to it as 'the fart that cost a flag'.

It's half time in the 1997 grand final and Adelaide are trailing hot favourites St Kilda by 13 points. Crows ruckman Shaun Rehn is playing today, but he's missed long stretches of previous seasons due to a series of knee injuries. The Crows' performances are thought to hinge on whether Rehn plays. He has a knee brace on. In the rooms at half time, he ripped it off and said to his teammates, 'We're winning this.' They did.

It's the wash-up of the 2008 grand final. Geelong, after losing just one game in the H&A season, had marched into the grand final as unbackable favourites. Hawthorn, the 2nd best team all year, had beaten the Cats and claimed the flag. At a time and place unknown (in the rooms straight afterwards? At the post-season review in Kardinia? After Kennett said 'We've beaten Geelong when it matters'? Fill me in, Cats fans) the Geelong players made a pact never to lose to Hawthorn again. They made good on that pact for the next eleven games and five years, including several extremely close games.

What stories surround your club which have a bit of an 'urban legend' feel to them?

He said it on 'Offsiders' just before the start of the 2009 season. He was a guest on the show and after continued provocation from known Cat John Harms to keep spouting off his usual s**t he went on to say that. I'm at work at the moment so can't look it up but surely it's on youtube.

I had a green coloured book that was pretty old that covered a lot of these little stories. One I can faintly remember was a transexual used to frequent outside the Tigers training base... used to lurk in bushes and regularly got with Tigers players after a training session but the thing is a few of the Tigers boy thought it was their dirty secret unbeknown to them that their team mates were also riding the trans express. I think that was it must have been the late 70s or 80s this happened.

1997 Dogs v Crows Prelim
A Crows supporter threw an apple at James Cook as he was lining up for goal - hit him in the leg causing a nasty corky
Cost us the bloody game!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back