Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this is not anyone's favourite ( especially in bigfooty ) but this image is my favourite in recent times. Kohli single handedly won the match for us out of nowhere against Australia in T20 WC and qualified for semis. After Dhoni scored the winning runs, the emotions from Kohli is one of the best I have seen. It shows how much that win meant to him.

27dhoni-kohli1.jpg

Mike Hendrick's second wicket in Test cricket, versus India in 1974, when he removed Madan Lal's off stump and leg stump but somehow the middle remains standing.

View attachment 411218
Where did you get that pic from worbod? Did you scan it out of a magazine? I've been wanting to post it here for ages.

I know I have it in one of my magazines somewhere (World of Cricket I think) but haven't had the chance to go looking for it.

I looked for it on the internet but couldn't find it there.

Now that I know who was involved in the dismissal I had a look and found this though:
http://www.cricketcountry.com/criclife/when-madan-lal-was-bowled-in-a-bizzare-way-496006

Where did you get that pic from worbod? Did you scan it out of a magazine? I've been wanting to post it here for ages.

I know I have it in one of my magazines somewhere (World of Cricket I think) but haven't had the chance to go looking for it.

The 1984/84 ABC cricket book has a picture of Richie Richardson on his first class debut wearing a baggy green. It was Viv Richards' that he'd swapped with Greg Chappell.

Mike Gatting hit in the face by Malcolm Marshall

241195.jpg

Sunil Gavaskar leads his batting partner off in protest, after being given out lbw to Dennis Lillee at the MCG in 1981

S-Gavaskar2812.jpg

John Snow grabbed by a spectator at the SCG

john-snow_2738264b.jpg

Bottles rain on the Bourda Ground in Georgetown in 1953

bourda.jpg

Riot at Eden Gardens in 1967. Interesting article on it here.

calcutta1967_21.jpg

Last edited:

Now that I know who was involved in the dismissal I had a look and found this though:
http://www.cricketcountry.com/criclife/when-madan-lal-was-bowled-in-a-bizzare-way-496006

I scanned the photo from a book I have titled "The Illustrated History of Test Cricket". There have been a few different versions of the book. I have one copy from 1976, 1978 and another updated version from 1985. I have included a photo of the cover of the 1978 version in case you aren't familiar with the book. The 1976 version has Jeff Thomson on the front cover.

book2.PNG

The Madan Lal photo comes from the chapter titled "Test cricket from 1971", in which the Test series from the 1970s are dealt with in chronological order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I scanned the photo from a book I have titled "The Illustrated History of Test Cricket". There have been a few different versions of the book. I have one copy from 1976, 1978 and another updated version from 1985. I have included a photo of the cover of the 1978 version in case you aren't familiar with the book. The 1976 version has Jeff Thomson on the front cover.

View attachment 412069

The Madan Lal photo comes from the chapter titled "Test cricket from 1971", in which the Test series from the 1970s are dealt with in chronological order.
Ah, thank you. Great to see it again.

I definitely have it in a magazine somewhere. Must try and dig it up. Knowing the year of the incident will make the search easier. :)

I've been looking for something like this for a while - this is all I can find.

Bob Bitmead played for Victoria in the 1960s and bowled off the wrong foot. Genuinely. Try and copy this action - even at home in the loungeroom.
bWVkaWFJZDoxNjE1ODE1OQ==

BobBitmead.jpg

At one stage, Victoria had Bitmead, Froggy Thomson and Max 'Tangles' Walker in the same side. Here's Froggy:
thomson_alan_froggy_bowling.jpg

Here's a video of Froggy:eek::eek::eek::eek:

(All us kids tried to copy Froggy).:D:D:D:D:D

Anyway, with those three in the side, one of the New South Wales boys came up with 'Where do you get your bowlers from? A kid's meccano set?'.

Bob Willis goes through some rehabilitation in 1975 after operations on both knees. The scars are quite visible.

Willis.PNG

Hmmm - maybe. Here's Mike Brearley wearing a 'helmet' based on an equestrian-type helmet in a test against Australia in 1977.
000805A500000C1D-2848568-Mike_Brearley_left_wearing_his_prototype_cap_style_helmet_agains-34_1416911976760.jpg

Is it known for sure that Brearley's head wear has hardened protection underneath it? Brearley did wear more traditional looking helmets during his career. Do you have any other photos of Brearley with a helmet from the 1977 series?

This is another photo dated 1977 (well, so the caption says)
MAIN.jpg

This is also interesting.
053151.jpg
bsb18212.gif

This is Patsy Hendren wearing a special cap (made by his wife) - with 2 extra peaks sewn on to protect his temples. Importantly, he was wearing this in county cricket in 1933, when Larwood and Voce came back after winning the Ashes and bowled Bodyline in the county championship.

Bodyline wasn't banned because the aussies whinged about it ("Soft Colonials!") - it was banned in 1935 after the English county players whinged about it. Many counties refused to play Nottinghamshire (who had Larwood and Voce).

I think perhaps a skull cap is more akin to what Brearley is wearing as opposed to a helmet proper.

UAE6281.jpg

204707.4.jpg

photo_1296455755062-1-0.jpg

But a really iconic one to me is

VVS-Laxman-Rahul-Dravid-Eden-Gardens.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back