Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Remove this Banner Ad

With the out of contract guys, I only see Baguley, Green, Draper and McKenna definitely getting another contract. I can see Howlett being retained as well.

Has he shown enough as a draftee to be retained? I don't think so.
I'll probably contradict my self by saying this, but no I don't think he has shown enough to deserve a contract. Based on where he was picked and his skill set he's will probably be retained, not many clubs cut guys drafted that early after 2 years. Is it bad list management? Probably but I'm sure the averages would show that we can't pick anyone better in the 80s. For every Rory Laird there's 100 spuds. That's why I think he will be kept on.

True. I just reckon he's going nowhere and wasting a spot, but it's just my opinion.
Agree, but where our list is I think he will get a year. I'd love them to look for the next Hibberd or Baguley, which I think they will but reckon Morgan keeps his spot (if not moved to the rookie list)

From what it sounds like, he's been doing all the work that's required and has shown some, if minor, improvement.
It's rare that a draftee taken that high is delisted outside of attitude/professionalism issues after a year.
The club will have confidence in it's recruiting and development staff to bring the best out of the player.
He'll get a rookie spot and one more year I reckon and even though i've been highly critical of him, the upside in terms of the team structure, is worth it.

I'd say that at best, with that elimination final performance, Morgan has given Dodoro and co a reason to consider offering him a spot on the rookie list.

He's played maybe two games in his time which have genuinely been VFL standard.

The things that might save him are still almost entirely theoretical (at least as far as VFL watching is concerned). While we need really quick guys with good skills to play in defence, and while his kicking has always been very solid, even if unimaginative, the pace and defensive ability have hardly been on display.

While he has been in the system a year less, he's the same age as Long and not show anywhere near as much. I'd be backing Long with much more confidence than Morgan (and Long would be speculative).

I'm not against retaining Morgan, it's just that he'd be at the bottom of the list of players I would be looking to retain.

Wouldn't de-list Long the risk of another club taking a punt and potentially becoming a gun is too great.

We should hang onto all our players. Do you fear Howlett will turn into a 40 a goal year player at another club if we delist him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what Morgan has effectively done is shank the ball into the rough for 17 holes then bombed the 18th up the middle of the fairway - and chipped with 2 feet for a birdie putt...

will jackets fall for the oldest trick in the book? golf is easy see!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back