Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NO. It's 2 x first round picks or he stays.
Would Port's 2018 first get them in the conversation? And i think they still have a 3rd this year. Maybe plis Trengove or Impey.

I wouldn't think Crows would go anywhere near 2 firsts, so hopefully that's out. Port could still get him back to family.

Would Port's 2018 first get them in the conversation? And i think they still have a 3rd this year. Maybe plis Trengove or Impey.

I wouldn't think Crows would go anywhere near 2 firsts, so hopefully that's out. Port could still get him back to family.

Can't see Gibbs playing for Port... Ever

So youré saying you would rather a Kerridge type who trains hard & seems to try and do what Bolts tells him than recruit a match winner like Stringer??
Stringer takes 5% off our 10 youngsters and we are 40 points down instead of 10 points down, he kicks his 3 match winning goals and we still lose by 22.

I am saying don't expend anything of value on a suspect player who has fallen from their previous best, these types are only worth the punt if they come cheaply.

I get what you are saying but not only has Stringer got elite talent but he has delivered on it.

Hasn't been consistent for a couple of years which is why I get your opinion but he is young.... And will likely deliver again

I can't see Bolts or SOS wanting him

Pies maybe north but not us.
Too much of a risk, a lot of players with mental issues never get back to their previous best. I'd much rather see him return to some form for the dogs and then pay slightly more then take a punt not knowing if he ever will again. Clearly the dogs want to offload him for a reason.

Murphy Gibbs Jones Kruezer Curnow Docherty Rowe ASOS Kerridge Lamb Wright Casboult plus Simpson who is over 30, Thomas may continue. All regular best 22 in 2017. Plowman 23, Cripps 22, Marchbank 21 who are leaders already. Byrne will be 24. Fair to say that they are a group of quality individuals as well. Still have Smedts and Palmer on contracts. Our list still isn't anywhere near the youngest in the league. How many do you want in a rebuild? Next year Charlie Weitering Silvagni Cuningham will be in their 3rd years.

I think we easily have enough experience. In 2 years all our current kids will be in their 3rd or 4th years with 30-50 games. That's when things start happening

Exactly. Some of the name you mention here lack quality IMO regardless of being best 22 or not. That's why I keep mentioning quality, not just experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. Some of the name you mention here lack quality IMO regardless of being best 22 or not. That's why I keep mentioning quality, not just experience.

Which is the kids coming through. As they get better they will force those players out.

Bolton & SOS won't be chasing Rockliff so no point discussing any further.

Seriously? Ben Silvagni doesn't play AFL and none of us have any clue if he will be any good. Why is he on a list saying we already have the forwards in place.
It's a fair point, but he is essentially locked in and a pre-determined factor from a list management perspective.

Unless something unexpected happens, we only have to spend two top 40 picks in the next 4 drafts on non-rucking falls to maintain list balance.

Let's not forget that we spent 3 first round picks, a second round pick and the equivalent of about pick 10 last year to set that position up in the time since SOS walked back in.

Anyone know of any 'Matty Wright types' available this year? Not necessarily a small forward, but a player on the cusp of a top 8 team's first 22, a quiet achiever who just needs opportunity, who won't cost much...

Anyone know of any 'Matty Wright types' available this year? Not necessarily a small forward, but a player on the cusp of a top 8 team's first 22, a quiet achiever who just needs opportunity, who won't cost much...

cam ellis-yolmen for not much, even as a dfa (especially if gibbs goes to adelaide, in spite of scott thompson moving on), but he may also play not much as he's coming off an acl. 90kg+ inside midfielder, likes a goal, 25 at the start of next year.

cam ellis-yolmen for not much, even as a dfa (especially if gibbs goes to adelaide, in spite of scott thompson moving on), but he may also play not much as he's coming off an acl. 90kg+ inside midfielder, likes a goal, 25 at the start of next year.
I have to admit, I can't remember him playing. Seems to have good numbers when he gets on the field.
Thanks!

Tonights game for me further proves you don't need big forwards anymore to win AFL games...you need a strong midfield and arguably the game is based around hard running, defensive pressure and movement now.

Richmond have only had 1 KPF all year in Jack Riewoldt...yet they have no trouble scoring as their small forwards put on a ton of defensive pressure which earns them repeat entries, and they also create a lot of movement in the forward line when the ball is coming in which makes it difficult for the defence.

Doggies also won last years premiership based around their smaller players...even Hawthorn's 3peat team only had Roughy and Gunston.

Conversely, we are seeing GWS really struggling with their 3 big forwards because they are not mobile enough and don't put out enough defensive pressure.
Adelaide play well with their 3 talls, but all 3 are very mobile, especially Jenkins and Lynch.

In conclusion...GET MIDFIELDERS! I'd like to see us play a similar brand to Richmond's currently, putting teams to the sword with relentless running and pressure.

I'd be happy to take Menzel off their hands, although the S.A. teams may be keener and in particular Port.

Geelong clearly wanting to make room for a player or two or three.
I would take him in a flash, but would Menzel want to play for a club that kicked his brother out though.....? From what I read it sounds like he wants to stay in Vic.

Team for next season:

B: Plowman--------------Marchbank-----------*New Player

H: Docherty--------------Weitering--------------Simpson

C: Thomas----------------Cripps----------------*Pick No.3

H: C.Curnow-------------Casboult---------------Cunningham

F: Pickett------------------McKay-----------------Silvagni

R: Kreuzer, Gibbs, Murphy

Bench: Jones, E.Curnow, SPS, Palmer

Emerg: A. Silvagni, Byrne, Williamson Fisher, Boekhorst, Wright

Out:
Kerridge
Lamb
Smedts
Graham
White

Tonights game for me further proves you don't need big forwards anymore to win AFL games...you need a strong midfield and arguably the game is based around hard running, defensive pressure and movement now.

Richmond have only had 1 KPF all year in Jack Riewoldt...yet they have no trouble scoring as their small forwards put on a ton of defensive pressure which earns them repeat entries, and they also create a lot of movement in the forward line when the ball is coming in which makes it difficult for the defence.

Doggies also won last years premiership based around their smaller players...even Hawthorn's 3peat team only had Roughy and Gunston.

Conversely, we are seeing GWS really struggling with their 3 big forwards because they are not mobile enough and don't put out enough defensive pressure.
Adelaide play well with their 3 talls, but all 3 are very mobile, especially Jenkins and Lynch.

In conclusion...GET MIDFIELDERS! I'd like to see us play a similar brand to Richmond's currently, putting teams to the sword with relentless running and pressure.

Still say the Dogs were a one off in terms of structure, more about how they were at the contest, which has dropped away this year. Richmond still need to get to a GF and win it.

When you strip it back, the majority of games won, will always be based around contested ball and stoppages, especially finals.

Richmond have been only average in those areas during the regular season, but improved dramatically last night, time will tell if they can sustain it

As for us, I agree, further develop the midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back