Status
Not open for further replies.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely I'd be planning for 2023.

Cripps, Plowman, Byrne and Doc would be 28.

Marchbank, Pickett 27.

Charlie, Harry, SPS, SOSOS, Weitering , Willo, Fisher, McReadie, Polson, Cuningham etc would be around 25.

Plus another batch around 22-24 years old.

We would have the strongest list in the AFL and would be feared by all other clubs.

Honestly speaking who gives a f*** about ladder position in 2018/2019?

As long as we keep recruiting and developing quality young players I will be very happy.

If we don't make finals before 2021 the rebuild is a failure.

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
One thing which Im predicting is that our recruiting mindset will switch either this year or next regarding what we are looking for.

Last two seasons we identified that our talent quantity was lacking, so we targeted quantity over quality. I think this was the right move.

This is different from DEPTH which I think we use wrongly. Its not that we didnt have depth, which is ability to cover for our beat 22.

In fact our problem was/is that we just didnt have many talented players to actually make up our 22. In fact our 13-30th players were all depth quality instead of starting 18 quality.

This has now largely been addressed and although a lot of these "quantity" players are still young like cunners, fisher, polson, pickett ... most likey they will reach starting 18 status.

This is why w SHOULD think about changing our strategy from trying to get two 4 B+ Graders and instead get 2 B+ graders and an A-Grader.

Essentially a long-winded way of saying get Kelly and change our talent acquisition mindset. We have the quantity now we need the quality. Watching dusty martin tear it up just reinforces this point.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
It's a fair point, but he is essentially locked in and a pre-determined factor from a list management perspective.

Unless something unexpected happens, we only have to spend two top 40 picks in the next 4 drafts on non-rucking falls to maintain list balance.

Let's not forget that we spent 3 first round picks, a second round pick and the equivalent of about pick 10 last year to set that position up in the time since SOS walked back in.

It is very silly to state a player who has not even played any TAC cup or done anything other than school football is a lock for our fwd line so we don't need more forwards. I hope he is a star but some need to seriously settle down when it comes to him.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
This year we will add another 8-12 new young talented players to add to our already talented group. If we can get an elite talent like Kelly we will otherwise we will trade/draft for young talent (which the club has said numerous times). 2018/19 will be more about topping up, filling some gaps and chasing the "big fish".

I expect to be pushing for finals in 2019 and really challenging in 2020. If things really gell maybe even slightly earlier. Given where we were 3 years ago that is an impressive effort

I agree with pushing for finals by 19 and challenging in 20 but i still don't see how we are adding 8-12 young talented players when we have 2 picks inside 40 in a weak draft. Gibbs might go which will add a pick maybe another pick/player but thats 4 players, not to mention that not every draft pick is a success.

SOS had a lot of picks at the Giants and he chose poorly on a lot of occasions, it seems people think that we are just going to pick a gem every time.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Honestly speaking who gives a f*** about ladder position in 2018/2019?

Cmon mate, the players care first and foremost and the fans, sponsors also. If we finish bottom 2 again next year then morale drops, confidence in the club and coaches drop, pressure from outside builds. Good players will get tempted to leave.
I know we have to hit the draft but we need to find a way to show that we are slowly climbing the ladder. It would be a nightmare if we failed to win more than 7 games next year.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
It is very silly to state a player who has not even played any TAC cup or done anything other than school football is a lock for our fwd line so we don't need more forwards. I hope he is a star but some need to seriously settle down when it comes to him.
He's played district footy and has declined to be in Oakleigh's squad this season...

What's more, you've quoted me saying one thing, and claimed I've said something else entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back