Are Essendon the new Richmond?

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Richmond finally shook their finals choker tag on Friday night.

Have Essendon now taken that unwelcome title?

Just like pre Friday night Richmond, the Bombers have lost their last three finals appearances, all of the Elimination Finals.

And just as key Richmond players like Trent Cotchin came under heavy scrutiny for poor September efforts, yesterday afternoon again saw Essendon leaders like Watson and Heppell go missing.

What can the Bombers do to regain their September mojo?

King Brown

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Richmond haven't been Richmond for a while. Richmond were known for missing finals, either by coming painfully close and just missing, or having a diabolical year where they get spanked every other game.

From 2013 onwards they have made finals with reasonable regularity. Just hadn't yet won one.

No, getting annihilated in finals is more a North thing.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let's not let this sink into the mire of drug stuff.

For mine it is about their onfield leadership.

Cotchin showed on Friday those hoodoos can be broken.

Watson obviously leaves the game with an abominable finals record.

Who will stand up for Essendon next time?

Daniher and Merrett the most likely for mine.

I don't think Heppell has the game to make an impact when the pressure goes up a notch.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Only difference is they've lost 4 spread out over a decade, so it probably has less of a toll on the players than our 3 straight. Plus in two of them we were in winning positions, they've been smashed in 3 of them.

They were six goals up against us early in the third quarter and looking set to cruise away with it.

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
Watson retires as an all-time finals underachiever. Very few players have displayed a bigger gap between their h&a performances and those when it matters. An utter failure from their leader at this time of year they are better off moving forward with a clean slate now. The talent is clearly there IMO.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Last finals victory in 2004. Even Melbourne have won a final more recently. Longest drought of any team excl. Gold Coast who've only been going since 2011 anyway.

No finals victory coached by anyone other than Kevin Sheedy since 1968.

Three of the last four finals losses have been smashings. Jungle drums will be beating.

ClokesShankedIt

Club Legend
Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Jul 5, 2011
Near the point post
AFL Club
Collingwood
Watson retires as an all-time finals underachiever. Very few players have displayed a bigger gap between their h&a performances and those when it matters. An utter failure from their leader at this time of year they are better off moving forward with a clean slate now. The talent is clearly there IMO.

What do you expect from a bloke who has never really done all that much except for the year he was juicing?

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
You have to question the talent, leadership, mental toughness and perhaps an even deeper look into their football program, recruiting and culture.

I don't know what Essendon stands for. Perhaps with the amount of positive spin that comes out of the club they are content with where they are at and winning finals isn't so much of a motivator as making everyone feel good about themselves (both players and members).

I think as long as they have a strong membership and matchday attendances the administration is satisfied.
As for their players, so many of them are continuously told how good they are and shown love by the supporters, perhaps that's enough for them.

I heard Woosha yesterday mention how the loss shouldn't wash over their wins in round 1 and on Anzac day.
If we got humiliated in a knockout final and Clarko brought up two early home and away wins (against bottom 10 teams) I would be livid. They clearly over-celebrate regular season victories and gloss over the defeats.

Let's not let this sink into the mire of drug stuff.

For mine it is about their onfield leadership.

Cotchin showed on Friday those hoodoos can be broken.

Watson obviously leaves the game with an abominable finals record.

Who will stand up for Essendon next time?

Daniher and Merrett the most likely for mine.

I don't think Heppell has the game to make an impact when the pressure goes up a notch.

Daniher has performed in both of his finals so I agree he shown repeatedly during the season as well he is a big game player.

Heppell was BOG for us in the 2014 final when it was close, so I don't think your comment has any basis.

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Last finals victory in 2004. Even Melbourne have won a final more recently. Longest drought of any team excl. Gold Coast who've only been going since 2011 anyway.

No finals victory coached by anyone other than Kevin Sheedy since 1968.

Three of the last four finals losses have been smashings. Jungle drums will be beating.
That stat they rolled out yesterday where they havent won a final since 1968 without sheedy in charge ,nearly 50 years...is, dare i say it unprecedented .

Granted he was there nearly 30 ,still you d think they d like to change it sooner rather than later.
If it wasn't for Kevin Sheedy, Essendon probably would have went the way of Fitzroy ages ago

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I heard Woosha yesterday mention how the loss shouldn't wash over their wins in round 1 and on Anzac day.
If we got humiliated in a knockout final and Clarko brought up two early home and away wins (against bottom 10 teams) I would be livid. They clearly over-celebrate regular season victories and gloss over the defeats.

Didn't see this, this is really poor.

So they beat two teams that finished 12th and 13th. Errr, great?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
You have to question the talent, leadership, mental toughness and perhaps an even deeper look into their football program, recruiting and culture.

I don't know what Essendon stands for. Perhaps with the amount of positive spin that comes out of the club they are content with where they are at and winning finals isn't so much of a motivator as making everyone feel good about themselves (both players and members).

I think as long as they have a strong membership and matchday attendances the administration is satisfied.
As for their players, so many of them are continuously told how good they are and shown love by the supporters, perhaps that's enough for them.

The club released a detailed strategic plan at the end of 2015, one of the major goals of which was to be top 4 by 2018.

Obviously 2016 put a major dent in that but it's still the aim.

Yesterday we was disappointing, but our 7th place this year overall made it a successful one.

Next year is a huge test. This year was just something of a relief and actually went a lot better than many of us expected.

In terms of players we're in something of a transition phase with the 30+ veterans on the way out. We already have three retirees this season.

Captain Morgan

Club Legend
Feb 3, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
One swallow does not make a summer. Or however that saying goes.

Great win against Geelong, now for level 2. Two weeks of building anticipation to face GWS or WCE.

That's said, Richmond would likely start favourites against either one.

cannot

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 30, 2016
^^ ""Flat World Champions".
AFL Club
Richmond
One swallow does not make a summer. Or however that saying goes.

Great win against Geelong, now for level 2. Two weeks of building anticipation to face GWS or WCE.

That's said, Richmond would likely start favourites against either one.

rance cotchin jack martin are still in a good age range the list is fairly young

so theres more to go but the signs are finally looking less bad

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Who are your inside mids in 2018?

Heppell should improve with another pre-season.

Merrett is a gun, but not so much an extractor (will stand corrected).

Myers? Francis?

Richmond finally shook their finals choker tag on Friday night.

They played badly, but it's hardly a choke to lose to the overwhelming favorites.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle

I think its kinda reflected in the way they deal with other clubs at the trade table too....(carlton very similar) in that they seem to put an unreasonable high value on their players when looking to trade them out or if a player wants out .
They genuinely seem to rate (or in quite a few cases overate) their players trade worth badly and hence have ended up with a poor reputation at trade time . Still seems to be vey much of the old 'superior' vfl mentality prevalent in the club

Back